OT: Brian Burke Fired from Leafs

Ron*

I completely understand why Burke was fired, he's done nothing in Toronto, but why now? Why not after the end of last season?

He must have refused to trade for Luongo or something. :dunno:

The timing is insane.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Especially in a shortened season. They don't have the luxury of a buffer zone of games to get used to new moves and such. Seems weird.

What's the word on Kings players coming back? Is Kopitar going to be delayed or something?

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I completely understand why Burke was fired, he's done nothing in Toronto, but why now? Why not after the end of last season?

He must have refused to trade for Luongo or something. :dunno:

Exactly, the timing of this is confusing. There must have been a philosophical disagreement between ownership and Burke on what direction to go next. Because if they wanted to fire due to poor results they would have done so after the season had ended, not when the new season is starting.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Nonis is promoted to GM. The press conference is on right now, and Nonis looks like he's concussed.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I love Toronto...entertainment for all the rest of the hockey world...just being being clueless and lost at every turn...I love seeing that team fail time and time again...

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Pretty shocking given the timing... I expected Burke would be on his way out, but this was the worst possible time to do it. Weird indeed, but slightly enjoyable :P

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I love Toronto...entertainment for all the rest of the hockey world...just being being clueless and lost at every turn...I love seeing that team fail time and time again...

So this. It's been great in Canada not having them make the playoffs. The media actually has to show other teams in the playoffs, not flood us with Maple Leafs Cup parade routes.

Here's hoping they stay out of the playoffs forever...and ever...times eternity.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Toronto needs a true rebuild in the worst way. I was never impressed with Burke.

Yeah, it was a ridiculous mistake for him to go in there, guns blazing, expecting to turn the organization around and win immediately. Trading away valuable picks just to make the playoffs. Reminds me of the old Kings. Burke tried to do in Toronto what he did in Anaheim, but the thing is that he lucked out in Anaheim with landing three future hall of fame players and a good core of young prospects and players. That is not what he had in Toronto.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
It's our "fault" hehe. First we whip the Nucks bad on their home ice (plus put Whitney's hypno pups in his face) causing the coach to "change things up" with Schneider. Then Luongo demands a trade. Then everyone in the hockey world says Lu to TO. To which Burke says "no" to that contract. And finally TO fires him to replace him with Nonis the "Lu getter".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad