The Star: Brian Burke fired: Burkie’s Dog House loses its name

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
4830fef0426fb69acc0e6b5b5adf.jpg

Four years ago, Air Canada Centre launched a new hot dog concession called Burkie's Dog House, named for then Leafs GM Brian Burke.

727efa6e4a74a0e215c63c4defa1.jpg

The sign for Burkie's Dog House was taken down Wednesday at the Air Canada Centre, shortly after Brian Burke was fired as Leafs GM.

http://www.thestar.com/living/food/article/1313383--burkie-s-dog-house-loses-its-name

Talk about getting sent to the doghouse.

Not only did Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke get turfed Wednesday, but, adding insult to injury, he lost his spot in the Air Canada Centre’s culinary compendium of essential game-time nosh. Shortly after he got the axe, ACC staff removed the sign over his eponymous hotdog stand.

Funny enough, Burke saw this coming.

“I figure I’m immortalized until about 10 minutes after I get canned here, then it’s going to be somebody else’s doghouse,” he joked to the Star’s Jennifer Bain in a 2009 interview when the stand was opened.

So, bye bye Burkie’s Dog House.

Hello, The Dog House.

That’s what the popular hot dog stand will be rebranded, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment spokesperson Rajani Kamath said Thursday.

Does this mean that the MLSE has instead decided to immortalize Mike Komisarek, the veteran defenceman who spends so much of his time there? Hardy Har.

Kamath doesn’t know how long it will take to get the new signs up or rewrite the menus, which contain the Burkie’s logo. However, she assures that hungry sports fans will still be able to get their well-dressed footlongs, including the South Western BBQ Dog and the Chili Cheese Dog — nonetheless.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I was at the raptors thunder game and wanted to try a Burkies Dog house hot dog, but the line was out the back of the building. with a new sign, it just wont be the same.

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
While obviously ridiculously overpriced, that place has some good ****in hotdogs.

I remember 3-4 years ago when I went to a Leafs game, I got a footlong hot dog at one of the concession stands. It was amazing! They added lots of caramelized onions to it too.

On boxing day, I went to Burkie's dog house and got a footlong. Maybe it was my fond memory of the first, but it wasn't as great. Especially since I had to ask for caramelized onions.. which is not several small pieces :(

Still, I love their hotdogs :P

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
of course the sign was taken down. is that a surprise to anyone? including the star?

not even a story

It sends a pretty clear message however at the expected involvement of Burke with MLSE from here on out.

Removing his name from the MLSE brand creating separation ASAP.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It sends a pretty clear message however at the expected involvement of Burke with MLSE from here on out.

Removing his name from the MLSE brand creating separation ASAP.

You needed the Hot Dog stand to lose it's name to realize Burke won't be involved with the Team?

What type of involvement were you expecting?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You needed the Hot Dog stand to lose it's name to realize Burke won't be involved with the Team?

Burkie in the dog house is so appropriate at this time. Maybe he could have handed a few out before games. MLSE may have been able to recoup some of their 3 million a year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I wasn't expecting any involvement, perhaps you would like this forwarded to those that believe nothing has changed. ;)

Advertising/Marketing is a big part of team revenue as is corporate image and branding. Re-branding the name of ACC hot dog stand speaks volumes towards the desire of separation for MLSE from its previous GM.

Out of sight out of mind to the public.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I wasn't expecting any involvement, perhaps you would like this forwarded to those that believe nothing has changed. ;)

Advertising/Marketing is a big part of team revenue as is corporate image and branding. Re-branding the name of ACC hot dog stand speaks volumes towards the desire of separation for MLSE from its previous GM.

Out of sight out of mind to the public.

You mean he won't be advising anybody on anything at MLSE? Next you're going to tell us there is no Easter Bunny.:laugh:

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
Maybe they will let Burke keep the signs.. then he can start a hot dog business venture :naughty:

I'll also add a couple of replacement names:

Randy's Candies
Nonis' Doughnuts

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
At least the dogs are still there. Loved Burkie's dog house.

Went to like 20 games last year so I was a regular. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->