Sportsnet Brian Burke explains why the Leafs made the trade with the Bruins for Phil Kessel

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Fenway, May 15, 2018.

1. Fenway

Fenway Administrator Sponsor

Interesting perspective from Burke.

Brian Burke says Phil Kessel trade was product of ticket price fatigue - Sportsnet.ca

Brian Burke said the decision to trade for Phil Kessel was made mostly as a business decision to give Toronto Maple Leafs fans a new star player to cheer for and buy tickets to go see.

“The Phil Kessel acquisition was in large part because I thought we had some ticket price fatigue,” Burke said in long-ranging interview with Bob McCown on Prime Time Sports Monday. “If we’re not going to win, let’s at least have a star player with what we charge for tickets.”

The Maple Leafs, with Burke as GM, acquired Kessel from the Boston Bruins for two first-round picks and a second-round pick. But due to poor performances, those ended up being high picks which the Bruins used to draft star OHL players Tyler Seguin, Dougie Hamilton and Jared Knight.

2. DKH

DKH Registered User

When is Burke going to be on Oprah.

First we get HIS Ducks are the best team since the lost season - patting self on back

Now we get the Kessel trade wasn’t really on Burke

This is exactly how my GM tenure would go

I hope he’s got more

I’m wondering if he took the DNA test we might related

3. Dr Hook

Dr Hook Grz-tastic Sponsor

History Professor
    He does an entertaining interview. Last week's 31 thoughts podcast had Burke on there and it was fun listening.

4. Aeroforce

Aeroforce Registered User

I got a good chuckle out of this. Burke makes it sound like he made the trade just to sell tickets, knewing the team would still be losing.

No self-respecting GM expecting a poor season trades first round picks.

Lucky for the Leafs' organization the Bruins squandered much of the assets acquired, otherwise the trade could look even more disastrous.