Proposal: Brian Burke Calgary Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
When Burke was the Leafs GM he frequently brought in veterans on short term deal like Armstrong, Connolly, Beauchemin, Komisarek, CMac to prevent youngsters from being handed positions. All were signed to short term deals and Burke got them by overpaying and offering playing opportunity. The Flames just like the Leafs who were a bad team will only attract free agents by offering playing minutes that better teams can't as well as overpaying in dollars and term that other teams can't/won't. With the exception of Komisarek all of them were signed for 3 years or less so expect Burke to do the same by offering 2, 3 and potentially even 4 year deals to placeholder UFAs. Always remember cap space can't be carried forward to future years.

Burke also took chances on players at low value points like Phaneuf and Lupul. He will seek similar sorts of moves. I'm not sure who he'd target or even be able to acquire but think names like Tyler Myers, James Wisnieswki who are at low value points.

Burke will look to fully utilize his cap space and budget to gain extra assets like he did by gaining a pick by taking on the Kolzig contract and or how he gained Franson by taking on Lombardi who had an uninsurable contract and potentially was never going to play again at the time of the trade. Burke was one of the biggest advocates if not the biggest of getting the new CBA to include teams being able to retain cap hits in trades so expect him to retain cap space in trades to get better trade returns.

I predict Burke will do the following moves till the end of the season:

1. Yougsters:

-Baertschi will see more time in the AHL. Burke held back all of Lupul, Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan and Kadri. I expect Burke to do the same with Baertschi.

-Monahan will be spent back to junior to dominate and play in the World Juniors

2. Burke will look to load up on Dmen just like he did in Toronto because Dmen are always in demand every deadline and Dmen always get injured.

I expect Burke to sign one of the remaining UFA dmen to a 1 year deal like Gill, Gilbert or take a chance on someone like Barker/Teubert to create extra competition and another potential trade asset.

I also expect Burke to take on a Dman at a low value point with Liles being the obvious name. Liles could be the 3rd or 4th best Dman for the Flames. With the cap going back up after this season he could be a great trade asset at the deadline and Burke always has the option of retaining cap space to make him more attractive to other teams. Liles is also only signed for 3 years which isn't a long contract.

3. Just like Burke traded pending UFAs in Poni, Moore and Antropov for draft picks in his first year Burke will trade pending UFAs Stajan, Cammalleri and Stempniak for prospects/picks.

4. Burke will try to sign every college UFA that he can by selling them on the opportunity to gain a roster spot on a poor team.

5. Burkes hardest decision will be on Giordano who by the time the Flames turn it around in a few seasons could leave as a UFA and will be on the downswing of his career. Gio is the one player who could bring in a kings ransom of young assets to help accelerate the rebuild but I feel Burke won't trade him this year. Similar to how he held onto Kaberle.

It will take a few seasons but Burke will turn the Flames around and with two potential front line building blocks in elite prospects Baertschi/Monahan plus some other decent secondary pieces like Backlund/Jankowski the Flames are ahead of what Burke inherited when he joined Toronto.

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
He's not the GM. Thanks for playing though.

He also didn't leave his job with the Ducks to not have any decision making powers.

The Flames definitely saw how Burke turned around the Leafs without a multi-year tank and they've brought him in to do the same for the Flames.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He also didn't leave his job with the Ducks to not have any decision making powers.

The Flames definitely saw how Burke turned around the Leafs without a multi-year tank and they've brought him in to do the same for the Flames.

We'll see but I doubt it. Burke has already said that he's not the GM, and will act accordingly.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think we will start seeing more of the type of move Feaster has been talking about all summer. When we get an asset for taking on a bad contract.

Perfect example was one he fleeced us on when we sent Primeau and a 2nd to Toronto for Stralman, Stuart and a 7th. And that was just to save us Primeau's meager $1.4 million.

Gary83*

I think we will start seeing more of the type of move Feaster has been talking about all summer. When we get an asset for taking on a bad contract.

Perfect example was one he fleeced us on when we sent Primeau and a 2nd to Toronto for Stralman, Stuart and a 7th. And that was just to save us Primeau's meager $1.4 million.

Oh man, never knew that pick ended up getting flipped to Anaheim by Toronto.

With it they drafted John Gibson.

TylerSVT*

Feaster: GM
Burke: Feasters Boss

Instead of going to KK for authority to make a move, Feaster now goes to Burke.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Being President has its own responsibilities just as a GM does.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
The more distance their is between ownership and the guy pulling the trigger, the better it is for the Flames.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
All of you people who think Burke isn't the GM of Calgary are being very, very naive. I think Burke is a great GM but he will undoubtedly lie through his teeth while looking dead on at the camera. Do not think for a moment that he joined Calgary to be the President of Hockey Operations.

Feaster makes trades that are bad -- Burke looks bad.

Feaster makes trades that are good -- Burke doesn't get full credit.

He's in a lose/lose situation in that position, he is NOT doing it for the paycheck, he's 58 years old (not 68)... he is in a wait and see situation. Th only question is how long will it take before Feaster is fired or demoted or otherwise removed as an obstacle from Burke's vision.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
All of you people who think Burke isn't the GM of Calgary are being very, very naive.

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Or they are just stating the fact that Burke isn't the GM of Calgary. Which is, again, a fact. Point of view doesn't even enter into it.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
All of you people who think Burke isn't the GM of Calgary are being very, very naive. I think Burke is a great GM but he will undoubtedly lie through his teeth while looking dead on at the camera. Do not think for a moment that he joined Calgary to be the President of Hockey Operations.

He's in a lose/lose situation in that position, he is NOT doing it for the paycheck, he's 58 years old (not 68)... he is in a wait and see situation. Th only question is how long will it take before Feaster is fired or demoted or otherwise removed as an obstacle from Burke's vision.

Ha thanks tips.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

nicholas.gif

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Getting so tired of this crap. Can the mods start closing these threads, please? Yes, I will be ignoring this thread after this post.

You're absolutely right. While it might be suspected that Burke is managing the on-ice product, all reports are indicating otherwise. Unfounded speculation is not contributing to the discussion.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad