Brian Boyle

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Can someone tell me more about this guy. He is listed as a 6'7 235lb forward for Boston College, and he has been well over a point a game for 2 years now. He was picked in the first round by the LA Kings in 2003.

With his size, and apparent skill, I would think he would be much more talked about than he is. Anyone follow his game who can say more?

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
He's dominating the college game due to his size, but it's hard to say if his game will translate at a level where the smaller, weaker guys get filtered out.

At this point, he's been playing center most of his career, but Boston has been experimenting with him on defense (he also played D at the Kings' development camp) and he has been impressive there as well. He's said he's happy playing either position but it's hard to tell if he's just putting on a happy face. He should get signed by the Kings after this year, as he would've signed last summer had he not decided to stay at BC for his senior year.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
he is big and very strong. goes hard into traffic. and also has an excellent wristshot. i have heard he is one of the guys everyone hates to play against.

RightKinger

Apr 25, 2006
Los Angeles
Boyle is a center but BC has been using him on D because of injuries and his coach at BC has said that he is a more dominant player when he is on D. He thinks that Boyle will become a defenseman in the NHL. The Kings experimented with him there at training camp and he did pretty well.

Transported Upstater

Boyle is a center but BC has been using him on D because of injuries and his coach at BC has said that he is a more dominant player when he is on D. He thinks that Boyle will become a defenseman in the NHL. The Kings experimented with him there at training camp and he did pretty well.

My question is this: When the Kings sign him, are they going to have him playing defenseman in Manchester?

Because to me, that seems like quite a leap from playing forward for four years in the Hockey East conference to playing defenseman in the AHL.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
He's dominating the college game due to his size, but it's hard to say if his game will translate at a level where the smaller, weaker guys get filtered out.

I don't agree. If anything, Boyle has had a harder time dealing with the smaller players than guys that would be average sized NHLer's.

Boyle has steadily improved every area of his game in his first three seasons at BC. This season was his most underwhelming for me, as I expected him to put it all together, and shine. He lost the C mid-season but got it back a few weeks later, but that was just a testament to BC's struggles as much as Boyle's.

The great thing about BB is that he seems to come up big in big games, at big times. His switch back to D came in the beginning of the HE tourney and really was a difference maker out there. Though Bradford deservedly won the MVP a case could have been made for either BB or Schnider.

Going forward, Boyle will be key to BC's chances in the NCAA tourney. Whether it be on D or C, expect him to see a ton of ice time.

Now, on to his future in the NHL. He can certainly become an NHL regular if not a second tier star(ala Keith Primeau in his latter years). Boyle is not the best skater, but name me a big guy who is. He's is not slow either. He definitely needs to improve his strength on his skates, but I seriously believe that those any and all of his skating issues can be fixed with a skating coach. He's got really good hands; nice hard accurate slapper, and a dandy of a wrister. In short, he has the tools to be successful now it just a matter of fostering those talents.

Personally, I feel like he lost a year of development this season at BC because he came in cocky, and not as prepared as he should have, and it showed in his game.

York has done as good of job as anyone could have to this point, but it's really going to come down to how hard, BB works, listens, and learns at the next level.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
My question is this: When the Kings sign him, are they going to have him playing defenseman in Manchester?

Because to me, that seems like quite a leap from playing forward for four years in the Hockey East conference to playing defenseman in the AHL.

I think it's really up in the air at this point. Boyle has said he prefers player center, but if playing defense is the difference between being in the NHL and Manchester, guess which one he'll pick?

At this point and time, and at his age, I think it would be a mistake to try and convert him full time. BB is a smart kid, and a quick learner, but there is definitely a learning curve going from playing C to D. Hell, there are D men who have played the position their lives that have problems making the the transition from College/Juniors to the pro's.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I love Brian Boyle... I think he is going to be the best defensive center in the future. A perrential Selke winner IMO. He's a wonderful pick.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
They were raving about him at the NCAA championship game yesterday but he did more to lose the game for BC than win it. He lost Kennedy off the face off and gave up the tying goal and then tried a pointless drop pass right inside MS's blueline to turn the puck over which led to the GWG. He also kept trying to clear the puck straight up the middle on the PK which he could have been burned on big time.

Great tools but he doesn't seem like a smart player IMO. That's been an opinion I always seem to come away with when I see him play. Hopefully I'm just catching him on his worst days.

Also, it's frustrating that they're moving him to D now that he's 22 years old. Maybe if they had started sooner he'd be smarter about things. I will admit his skills stand out more as a d-man from what I saw in the past two games but to see an older prospect making the mistakes he makes raises a lot of question marks.

Loki21

Dec 30, 2006
They were raving about him at the NCAA championship game yesterday but he did more to lose the game for BC than win it. He lost Kennedy off the face off and gave up the tying goal and then tried a pointless drop pass right inside MS's blueline to turn the puck over which led to the GWG. He also kept trying to clear the puck straight up the middle on the PK which he could have been burned on big time.

He seemed like he was all over the ice during the BC-ND semifinal, but had some bad errors too. He dropped to try and block a very weak fake-shot, that ended up giving an ND forward a shot from about 3 ft. away, then let Toews get inside position to knock in the rebound. For someone who's new to D though, it seems like he's got alot of potential once he really learns the position.

kingsfann805

Dec 25, 2006
Oxnard

Great tools but he doesn't seem like a smart player IMO. That's been an opinion I always seem to come away with when I see him play. Hopefully I'm just catching him on his worst days.

Also, it's frustrating that they're moving him to D now that he's 22 years old. Maybe if they had started sooner he'd be smarter about things. I will admit his skills stand out more as a d-man from what I saw in the past two games but to see an older prospect making the mistakes he makes raises a lot of question marks.

Yeah, I'm hoping that is due to his lack of experience on the blueline. He's been a d-man for a couple of weeks, so I expect(ed) him to make some mistakes as it's a new position.

With his size and reach, he could be a good defensman (not too sure about his skating, as I haven't seen him enough to make a fair assessment), but only time will tell. I would think the Kings might try to convert him to defense, but we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad