Proposal: Brian Boyle vs Kovalchuk

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I haven't watched Boyle lately, and not sure how much he has left in the tank. It could be a signal in itself that he hasn't signed anywhere yet.

But he is probably the better fit right now. The habs never replaced Thompson after they traded him, so unless they are okay with having Evans down the middle, I think he's the type of guy they would be looking for.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
I would prefer the HABS sign Brian Boyle vs bringing back Ilya Kovalchuk. I think both offer a veteran presence but prefer Boyle’s FO%, PK and mentorship to Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Evans. I would think both are signing for league minimum? Thoughts?
Neither, thanks.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
time to play and develop our farm.

The habs are already super young at center. Danault is the elder statesman, and he's only like 27.

Then you got Suzuki, KK, and Evans down the middle, all in their early 20s. When a center gets injured, whose next? Is it poehling? He's also early 20s.

I wouldn't be shocked if they look for a veteran presence at 4C. Due to injuries and a condensed schedule, I think Evans will still get his games in too.

As for poehling, I think he should be kept in the AHL for now. Montreal is not in a position where they have to rush him up, particularly if they do get a veteran replacement for Thompson.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
I’d take both as extra forwards. Beats Weal and Belzile. Let Poehling start in the AHL unless he has a very good camp and when he shows he can stick with the big boys then make a move

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sign Kovalchuk to a 1 year 700k deal.
Trade Byron, so we have more cap space next year and the year after to sign all our UFA's and RFA's.
Put Kovalchuk at LW, on the 3rd line.

Offseason complete.

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Drouin Suzuki Toffoli
Kovalchuk Kotkaniemi Anderson
Lehkonen Evans Armia
Belzile

Reactions: the

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Sign Kovalchuk to a 1 year 700k deal.
Trade Byron, so we have more cap space next year and the year after to sign all our UFA's and RFA's.
Put Kovalchuk at LW, on the 3rd line.

Offseason complete.

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Drouin Suzuki Toffoli
Kovalchuk Kotkaniemi Anderson
Lehkonen Evans Armia
Belzile
hahaha you sure you don't want Boyle?

Reactions: 26Mats

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The habs are already super young at center. Danault is the elder statesman, and he's only like 27.

Then you got Suzuki, KK, and Evans down the middle, all in their early 20s. When a center gets injured, whose next? Is it poehling? He's also early 20s.

I wouldn't be shocked if they look for a veteran presence at 4C. Due to injuries and a condensed schedule, I think Evans will still get his games in too.

As for poehling, I think he should be kept in the AHL for now. Montreal is not in a position where they have to rush him up, particularly if they do get a veteran replacement for Thompson.
If the idea is to bring a vet for the kids, I rather get a skilled guy like Kovalchuk.

Reactions: 26Mats and the

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Please bring back Kovalchuk! One of the only entertaining player we had since Radulov.
He did have some nice games, but he also had some where he was invisible........add another year on his clock, not sure he can handle another season, even if it is a short one, his time with the Caps was underwhelming...
Absolutely agree though, he did excite everyone for a couple of weeks...

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Boyle.

Big, but slow. Great on faceoffs and in front of the net and a little more toughness might be needed in the all Canadian division with Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa all getting, or still rather tough

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think the Julien connection with old Carl Soderberg might be in play.

4 th line center
6’3” 210lbs
Wins faceoffs
Defensive
Coming off 16-23-17 goals in last 3 seasons.

I would be in favor of this if there was some sort of guarantee that Soda wouldn't play over Kotkaniemi... 1 year 1 million I'm game, would have to move some money around though

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think the Julien connection with old Carl Soderberg might be in play.

4 th line center
6’3” 210lbs
Wins faceoffs
Defensive
Coming off 16-23-17 goals in last 3 seasons.
I would be in favor of this if there was some sort of guarantee that Soda wouldn't play over Kotkaniemi... 1 year 1 million I'm game, would have to move some money around though

It would seem they're ready to give Evan's the job, and they don't want to deny him the opportunity.

From a team depth standpoint, it would make more sense to start Evan's in Laval, since he's waiver exempt, but have him ready to be called up in case of injury. Then you sign a cheap vet as 4c. But it seems they think he's NHL ready and don't want to deny him an NHL spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad