BRG's 2006 1st Round Mock Draft Spectacular

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Well, it is a bit early and all, but I figure I'll try my hand at a mock draft. We may yet see version two of the spectacular, likely after all draft positions are finalized. As there is no cup champion yet, Detroit will remain with the 30th overall pick.

1. St. Louis - Jordan Staal: Yes, they could use a defenseman of Johnson's stature, but, they do have some decent, young defensemen(Jackman, Brewer), but they don't have a ton of scoring up front, and I don't think they'll pass up on Staal, especially considering how great his brothers have been, and that he could easily be just as good or better than either one.

2. Pittsburgh - Erik Johnson: The Pens are set at forward with Crosby and Malkin, but even with Ryan Whitney, they don't have a long-term solution on the blueline. They likely send St.Louis a draft pick just to make sure they don't take Johnson, and end up getting the guy they want more than anything in this draft.

3. Chicago - Phil Kessel: While there is some animosity between he and Blackhawks prospect Jack Skille, Chicago could really use a player of Kessel's stature, and don't dare let him out of the top 3.

4. Washington - Nicklas Backstrom: They already have the superstar in Ovechkin, but really need a center to complement his abilities. Kessel might've been a good fit, had he fallen, but they think Backstrom can be just as good, and get set to have their dynamic duo of Ovechkin and Backstrom.

5. Boston - Jonathan Toews: They are fairly set at forward with Bergeron and Boyes, but, with no top defensemen left, they decide to bolster their forward line-up by adding Toews, who can be a great passer for Bergeron and Boyes, and can be good in his own end as well.

6. Columbus - Peter Mueller: Although they have Gilbert Brule, the BJs would like another centerman to bolster their already powerful forward line-up, and Mueller seems to be the man to fit the bill. With a team full of snipers, Mueller could really be useful with on and/or both of Nash and Zherdev.

7. NY Islanders - Derrick Brassard: The Isles are loaded with probable second-line threats(although some could become 1st liners), so Brassard, who could really become a nice first-line threat for them, makes perfect sense. His passing could do well with Yashin and Satan next year, should he make the team.

8. Phoenix - Bryan Little: He isn't question free or anything, but, small as he is, he could be a very talented offensive threat for them, and should they all put it together, Little with Hanzal and Wheeler could be a great tandem.

9. Minnesota - Kyle Okposo: Many seem to feel that this pick is the worst kept secret going into the draft, and I'm going to jump on the bandwagon. He and Benoit Pouliot could make a great tandem, along with Marian Gaborik(if he's still around) in Minnesota's future.

10. Florida - Nigel Williams: While they could use another skill forward to match up with Olesz, they are in dire need of a defenseman to pair up with J-Bo. While Sanguinetti is an option, I see them taking the more physical Williams to go with the very skilled J-Bo.

11. Los Angeles - Michael Frolik: While the Kings could use a defenseman, I don't think they can pass on someone with Frolik's potential. Every year they seem to have a high-ranked Euro fall to them, and I don't think this year will be any different.

12. Anaheim(from Atlanta) - Bobby Sanguinetti: The Ducks need a defenseman fairly badly, and seeing Sanguinetti fall out of the top ten makes them trade up(19th overall, Chistov, and maybe a third rounder to Hotlanta). A teammate of top prospect Bobby Ryan's, Sanguinetti may be the offensive threat they need on the back-end, and a great partner for Ladislav Smid in the future.

13. Toronto - Jiri Tlusty: The Leafs have some great European forwards, and while they could use a banger, I think they draft another one knowing that Tlusty is the best player available and that's just what they need.

14. Vancouver - James Sheppard: The Canucks aren't very deep at the center position, so they could really use a guy with great abilities like James Sheppard. If the fact that they don't have alot of great future options at center doesn't force them to pick Sheppard, the fact that he's probably the BPA should.

15. Tampa Bay - Ty Wishart: With Pavel Kubina going, they badly need a defenseman, and with Sanguinetti and Williams gone, Wishart is the best available. He could learn alot from veterans Boyle and Sydor, as well.

16. Montreal - Chris Stewart
17. Minnesota(from Edmonton) - Michael Forney
18. Colorado - Ivan Vishnevsky
19. Atlanta(from Anaheim) - Brian Strait
20. San Jose - Ondrej Fiala
21. NY Rangers - Chris Summers
22. Philadelphia - Joey Ryan
23. Washington(from Nashville) - Jesse Joensuu
24. Buffalo - Alexander Vasyunov
25. New Jersey - Patrick Berglund
26. Calgary - Carl Sneep
27. St. Louis(from Carolina) - Dennis Persson
28. Dallas - Cory Emmerton
29. Ottawa - Jonathan Bernier
30. Detroit - Nick Foligno

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I hope Calgary goes with Ben Maxwell in the first round, but if they have to take a defenseman, I am perfectly fine with Carl Sneep, everything thing about him screams Flames to me. Big, good puckmover, intelligent, going to college, it just makes sense, but hopefully in a trade up to the early to mid second rather than in the first.

horeljoliat

Aug 2, 2005
Rimouski
Hey everybody , stop taking Joey Ryan for Philly , he is slow and take many penality
the Flyers have alway Hatcher , Ratje and Gauthier they need skil skill skill :teach:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I could see it going down alot like that. With all the talk of how much movement there is going to be, I'm sure there won't be any. :)

As a Phoenix fan, I'd be pretty happy with Little.

Oceanic39*

Well done.

TB has taken stay-at-home dmen with its first pick in the last three drafts. In 03 they traded down and took two of them in the 2nd.

It is highly unlikely that TB goes the stay-at-homer route for the fourth year in a row. An offensive D, goalie, or center is probably the safe route with TB.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
I could live with Staal and Persson coming out of the first round, I guess... but I think the Blues would need to get a pick and a player from Pittsburgh -- preferably an NHL-ready defense prospect (preferably Noah Welch, but at least Andy Schneider) -- in order to pass on Erik Johnson.

P_B

:bow: :blues

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Spongebob said:
Did your crystal ball tell you this???

The Rangers are believed to covet centers in the upcoming draft. They'd love to move up and get one of Toews, Staal or Mueller (with Montoya being the bait). But, it's been out there for quite a while that the Rangers believe their weakness is top line forwards, especially at center. Berglund has a lot of hallmarks of recent Ranger picks. With Rockstrom running things in Europe, if Berglund has his seal of approval, I would not be shocked to see the Rangers deal up a few places to get him.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Oceanic39 said:
Well done.

TB has taken stay-at-home dmen with its first pick in the last three drafts. In 03 they traded down and took two of them in the 2nd.

It is highly unlikely that TB goes the stay-at-homer route for the fourth year in a row. An offensive D, goalie, or center is probably the safe route with TB.

Would TB be interested in moving down a few spots to say, 20/21, (depending upon the Cup winner), while picking up a player like Thomas Pock (offenive d-man) or Jarkko Immonen (2nd line center)?

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
jas said:
The Rangers are believed to covet centers in the upcoming draft. They'd love to move up and get one of Toews, Staal or Mueller (with Montoya being the bait). But, it's been out there for quite a while that the Rangers believe their weakness is top line forwards, especially at center. Berglund has a lot of hallmarks of recent Ranger picks. With Rockstrom running things in Europe, if Berglund has his seal of approval, I would not be shocked to see the Rangers deal up a few places to get him.

While it might be true that the Rangers are looking to get a center in this draft there are literally several to chose from at the 21 spot.......some even ranked higher than Berglund. So to say Bergland is "the guy" is presumptious to say the least.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
jas said:
Would TB be interested in moving down a few spots to say, 20/21, (depending upon the Cup winner), while picking up a player like Thomas Pock (offenive d-man) or Jarkko Immonen (2nd line center)?

Say it basically takes a second to move up 5 spots to 15 from 21, no? I'd say Immonen is definately worth more than that. Immonen and 21 for a pick atleast slotted 10-13.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
jas said:

I hope the Rangers are thinking mmmmMueller. This guy would definately look good in a Ranger sweater and he most certainly fits the bill for leadership and sick number one centerman skills. Mueller and Dubinsky down the middle would be terrorizing.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Balej's Dance said:
I hope the Rangers are thinking mmmmMueller. This guy would definately look good in a Ranger sweater and he most certainly fits the bill for leadership and sick number one centerman skills. Mueller and Dubinsky down the middle would be terrorizing.

I agree. He seems to be a perfect fit. The questions is, would you rather give up Montoya for a top ten pick, or move up a few spots to get someone like Berglund, who's more of risk, and should cost less?

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Prussian_Blue said:
I could live with Staal and Persson coming out of the first round, I guess... but I think the Blues would need to get a pick and a player from Pittsburgh -- preferably an NHL-ready defense prospect (preferably Noah Welch, but at least Andy Schneider) -- in order to pass on Erik Johnson.

P_B

i don't think the pens would sacrifice noah welch, even for erik johnson.

schneider doesn't really have the all-around skills or ceiling to be an NHL regular, methinks. he's a pretty decent player at the AHL level though.

other than welch (who's very unlikely to be moved), the penguins don't have an NHL ready d prospect. they do have some pretty decent young forward options (like erik christensen, tomas surovy or michel oullet) that they'd probably be willing to deal.

Oceanic39*

jas said:

You guys don't like Pock?

If TB could move down and still pick up Pock (I'm not sure if that's what your proposing here or giving the pick just for Pock), then Yes, I'd do that.

TB doesn't really have a need on the NHL club for a 2nd line center, but they are trying to change their third line into a scoring line and Immonen would help. I'd rather have Pock. They need another puck moving D.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Oceanic39 said:
You guys don't like Pock?

If TB could move down and still pick up Pock (I'm not sure if that's what your proposing here or giving the pick just for Pock), then Yes, I'd do that.

TB doesn't really have a need on the NHL club for a 2nd line center, but they are trying to change their third line into a scoring line and Immonen would help. I'd rather have Pock. They need another puck moving D.

There are differing opinions when it comes to Pock. Some see him as a viable option as an offensive defensemen, while others don't think he plays enough defense to be a regular NHL D-man. It wouldn't shock me to see him included in a draft day deal that enables the Rangers to move up and grab a player they like. (Yes, I meant a package of Pock and the Rangers #1 for TB's #1.)

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
vancouver_2010 said:
Staal @ number 1 overall?????

You don't think so? St.Louis is said to covet him somewhat and you really can't argue with the success of his brothers, especially since he could easily be as good as they are. IMO, St.Louis could really use a marquee name like Staal, but that's just me.

As for TBay taking Wishart, I know they've taken alot of defensemen lately, but, I think that's a huge need for them, now and in the future, and I don't think anyone they've taken prior to this draft will make that much of an impact. I do they they might take someone like Bernier, but I don't think they'll take him that high. I could easily see them trade down for a cheap defenseman, maybe like Tomas Pock, but I just don't see Jay Feaster doing that. But then again, that's also just me.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Originally Posted by Bobby Ryan Getzlaf
11. Los Angeles - Michael Frolik: While the Kings could use a defenseman, I don't think they can pass on someone with Frolik's potential. Every year they seem to have a high-ranked Euro fall to them, and I don't think this year will be any different.

Not to pick on you or anything, but ive been noticing this common misconception in alot of mocks. The Kings have not drafted Euros who have fallen before draft day, but rather highly ranked Euros who have fallen ON draft day. Only guy who could drop this year would be Backstrom. :yo:

Otherwise good mock.

Kesler Kills Kommies

Dec 6, 2004
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
You don't think so? St.Louis is said to covet him somewhat and you really can't argue with the success of his brothers, especially since he could easily be as good as they are. IMO, St.Louis could really use a marquee name like Staal, but that's just me.

As for TBay taking Wishart, I know they've taken alot of defensemen lately, but, I think that's a huge need for them, now and in the future, and I don't think anyone they've taken prior to this draft will make that much of an impact. I do they they might take someone like Bernier, but I don't think they'll take him that high. I could easily see them trade down for a cheap defenseman, maybe like Tomas Pock, but I just don't see Jay Feaster doing that. But then again, that's also just me.
i dont know about that, to pass up phil kessel, johnson or Jonathan Toews is just sounds too unreal to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->