Brett Wilson finally going to be invested in Nashville

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by kypredsfan, Jul 14, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. kypredsfan

kypredsfan Smashville Subban

Apparently, at the Skate of the Union last night, our summer pep rally, it was announced that they expect Calgary rich man Brett Wilson to finally be invested in the Predators. What does this mean for the Preds? He was supposedly gonna do this after the Boots del Biaggio fiasco but that got finished up last year. If he finally invests in the Preds, do they get to spend more? This is a very positive sign for Nashville when they're rebranding themselves and making their own identity.

2. kypredsfan

Now confirmed by multiple sources (people who were there). They said Brett Wilson should be invested by end of summer or early fall. Also looking for even more investors. :handclap:

3. wpgsilver

wpgsilver Registered User

Very cool to see. He has had ownership in a couple of other lower level pro-sports teams. I think in the end this is a positive thing for the preds.

4. kypredsfan

Yes, there is already a partnership between him and one of our current owners in a minor league baseball team.

5. Free Edler

Free Edler Enjoy retirement, boys.

ad copywriter
    Smart guy who is very wealthy. Good for the Preds.

6. nomorekids

nomorekids The original, baby

Home Page:
    Chairman Tom Cigarran basically said that short term goal is adding another 25 million or so in equity over the next year via a new partner(now revealed to be Brett Wilson, expected finalized in September). The aim is to pay down debt, and, in Cigarran's word, "virtually guarantee that the team is here forever."

Also of note on the business side, team leaped from 4 regular season sellouts in 09-10 to 16 in 10-11. Goal for 11-12 is 25. Season ticket spring renewals are at 92.4 percent, the highest in team history, and new season ticket packages are also selling at the highest rate in team history.

7. Fugu

Fugu Guest

Any hint of the percentage stake that Wilson will get? Boots had 27%, iirc, so has that been absorbed by the rest of the group?

8. Predatorbill

Predatorbill Registered User

Agree with what was said. However, Cigarran didn't explicitly say that all 25 million would be coming from Wilson. He did say that the NHL had to finish its background check.

9. TheNeutral

TheNeutral Registered User

Electrician
    This is nothing short of awesome news for the Preds. As a two-time visitor of Nashville, I've always had a soft spot for the Preds. This will only help push them further in their quest for the cup.

10. ps241

ps241 Registered User Sponsor

congrads preds fans......i really enjoyed your run in the playoffs last year and thought your team played really well together. I am happy to see this success story

i hope you get your captain locked up long term, he is a keeper!

11. Seth Lake

Seth Lake Registered User

Home Page:
    I believe David Freeman absorbed the debts owed by DelBiaggio for the franchise leading to his cash flow issues last year. Although, I also remember the team buying DelBiaggio's preferred shares from bankruptcy court last season too, so I'm not sure who exactly owns what anymore.

Warren Woo, who was a minority partner with DelBiaggio's "Forecheck Investments" was also bought out of his preferred shares at the time of the bankruptcy proceedings, but has since been allowed to buy back in. I believe Woo owns somewhere around 2% of the franchise...although it might be a little higher now. Woo has been called a fantastic partner by Cigarran in the past.

12. nomorekids

nomorekids The original, baby

Home Page:
    I don't think it's that much. Worth noting that Wilson has business/real estate holdings in Nashville as well. After a nearly three year vetting process, I'm confident that no snake in the grass, DelBiaggio tactics are underfoot.

13. Fugu

Fugu Guest

Never was worried that would be the case. I couldn't remember what happened to Boots' stake after the Trustee dealt with the matter of dispensing with his "assets". Wilson's name first surfaced, iirc, when Boots ran into trouble.

@SLake. Thanks!

14. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge Registered User

Great to hear for Nashville. Having someone like that can do wonders for an ownership group. Just look at Pittsburgh going from survival mode to spending to the cap almost overnight. The arena had a lot to do with that, Sidney Crosby a good deal; Ron Burkle had far more.

Hope he turns out to be a gem for Nashville.

15. peter sullivan

peter sullivan Winnipeg

i believe he is part owner of derby county in the english championship......at least he used to be.