Brett Sonne

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
I think his play is coming around some, he's been largely disappointing this season but last night he looked pretty solid. I think his ranking is pretty low now compared to where he'll actually go in the draft....2nd rounder anyone?

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
For those that have seen him play this year, is he putting up numbers based on being on a good line or team, or does he look like he has developed his game and made some major improvements. He is putting up great numbers so far. I don't remember him doing anything significant at the Traverse City Tournament this year for the Blues.

Any insight would be appreciated!

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
I think his play is coming around some, he's been largely disappointing this season but last night he looked pretty solid. I think his ranking is pretty low now compared to where he'll actually go in the draft....2nd rounder anyone?

He was a third round selection by the St. Louis Blues in 2007. Plus, disappointing play? He's been an offensive specimen for the Calgary Hitmen this year, who coincidentally are 24-4-1 at this point in time and ranked 2nd in CHL, and Sonne himself is tied for 1st in WHL scoring...this Hitmen team was not expected to be this good this season and its performances from players like Sonne that are key reasons why.

DBC Tweeker

Jun 25, 2003
Calgary AB
Visit site
He was a third round selection by the St. Louis Blues in 2007. Plus, disappointing play? He's been an offensive specimen for the Calgary Hitmen this year, who coincidentally are 24-4-1 at this point in time and ranked 2nd in CHL, and Sonne himself is tied for 1st in WHL scoring...this Hitmen team was not expected to be this good this season and its performances from players like Sonne that are key reasons why.

Posted January 27, 2007 ;)

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Saw him play on the weekend v. Brandon and he was great. To answer the original question (2nd post) - I think his stats (like most players) are a combo of playing on a good team and his own personal play -- but his play does show that he has legitimate NHL potential. Kingpin_19's point is very valid, this Hitmen team is overachieving and Sonne is a big reason why. Leads the WHL in scoring... and just announced that he is on the Team Canada WJC tryouts roster. Should make the team imo. Last season he suffered through some bad injuries and has now fully recovered.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Last season should've been what this season is for Sonne. Like it was mentioned, he's had some setbacks due to injury but has come out firing this season. I don't think many WHL experts predicted he'd be leading the league in scoring at this point.

That said, I dont think his offense will translate into a top-line role with the Blues in the NHL. He'll have great two-way instinct, but I wouldn't expect the moon out of him offensively.

For those that want to compare, I don't think he's as dynamic offensively as Ryan White was last season with Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad