Player Discussion Brett Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
There was one play tonight in the first where Ritchie was going in on the forecheck. Instead of going right at the defenseman, he decided to fake him out and went towards the middle of the defenseman and his partner. He fell down.

I didn't understand what he was doing at all.

BruinsNetwork

Jokes aside from myself, I don't hate Ritchie and I think he would be perfectly fine as a big, slow, but big fourth-line presence out there. Unfortunately he's also inconsistent and seems like he's only trying some of the time– I think Cassidy touched on that tonight. I assume he'll be around until Lindholm, Nordstrom and Kuhlman are healthy, but tough to see him sticking around when they return.

Reactions: Estlin

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Jokes aside from myself, I don't hate Ritchie and I think he would be perfectly fine as a big, slow, but big fourth-line presence out there. Unfortunately he's also inconsistent and seems like he's only trying some of the time– I think Cassidy touched on that tonight. I assume he'll be around until Lindholm, Nordstrom and Kuhlman are healthy, but tough to see him sticking around when they return.
Nordstrom?

Colin Besdick has graphs and charts on his refrigerator showing that Nordstrom blows

fans go by eye ball tests - awesome bloggers use charts

Reactions: CDJ and Saxon Eric

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I don't think he's slow in fact I like his speed...but you're right can't see him sticking around with all them folk returning. Plus Senny needs to stay a bit.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
How can Cassidy say Ritchie didn’t play well when he played well enough to displace Heinen on Krejci’s wing. I mean what had he done to earn the promotion. Ritchie has been growing on me as a 4th line option, though I like Wagner better there, but he is not regular middle 6 material.

Reactions: JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
How can Cassidy say Ritchie didn’t play well when he played well enough to displace Heinen on Krejci’s wing. I mean what had he done to earn the promotion. Ritchie has been growing on me as a 4th line option, though I like Wagner better there, but he is not regular middle 6 material.
Exactly. Im just going to chalk it up as he was trying to generate a spark.

Especially after that 3rd goal when he opted for a line change rather than back checking and the Habs scored. I think he saw the bench for a little bit after that but then he was back out there with Krejci.

And yes, Wags over him every day of the week. Wags is needed on the penalty kill. Richie doesnt play anything outside of 5 on 5 and as many have been preaching he doesn't belong above the fourth line. And when the fourth line is healthy (Nords-Kuraly-Wags), there's no room. That line dominates IMO when it's healthy. I also like Lindholm over him as well. Pretty much everyone over him minus Backes.

Reactions: HustleB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Easy to say that after they had their best game of the year.
Not really,its been pretty apparent all season.

Just don't see what you see in Ritchie to say he's been better than Kuraly and Wagner. Not just last night but all season.

He's not in their ball-park as far as defensive play, aggressive fore-check, getting the puck put out of their own zone and being able to kill penalties. Its not even close. Kuraly and Wagner brings so much more to the table than Ritchie.

Especially Kurally who can be a one man cycling machine in the offensive end and an extra defender in his own end with his ability alone to skate the puck out of danger, its not even close. Ritchie rely's to heavily on other players and way to often doesn't capitalize on his chances. Sure he can handle his own in a fight, good for him, but so far, plays seem to go to him to die, way to often.

He's a 13th forward at best on this Bruins team.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Kuraly has had a rough go this season. The guy was a turnover machine, couldn't handle pucks and was taking stupid penalties. His last few games he has found his legs for sure and has been better. Yes, i believe for the most part this year, Ritchie was better than him.

Ritchie is a new player playing on a new team under a new coach, he's had some good games and a few games where you don't notice him. I didn't really notice Heinen last night either, honestly. But hey, that defensive play. Ritchie played just over 8 mins had a shot, 3 hits and was even, Heinen played just under 15, had zero shots, 0 hits and was -2.

I have absolutely no problems with Ritchie being a 4th line guy, hell, even a 13th forward if in fact Don Sweeney fully addresses the Bruins other issues. He does that, everything slots into place.

Reactions: JCRO

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

But he didn't lol. Heinen was still getting #1PP unit reps. If he had been moved down for playing poorly, he wouldn't have been on the #1PP unit. I'd think Cassidy wanted to get an in game look of how the Krejci line looks with Ritchie and how it looks with Heinen.

Also tough to say displaced when Ritchie recorded the lowest TOI and least amount of shifts on the team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It sure looks like Boston coaches are having the same problem as Stars coaches: how to impress on Brett Ritchie the need to bring his complete game night in and night out. Surely it can't be much plainer to the guy that he is on the Jimmy Hayes career trajectory and that if something doesn't change with his consistency of performance he will be playing in the AHL next season.

Reactions: BMC and Estlin

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
As I said on his opening night roster addition: Ritchie will be given the month to show what he is in a Boston uniform. This way he has only himself to blame if he fails.

Now that we are in November I think both we the fans and now the coaches can agree what Ritchie is. I don't see him playing regularly from here on out and will either be a toss in part of a trade or waiver wire fodder. Cassidy has already called him out publicly, how he responds to that will decide his NHL career, IMO. Boston is effectively his last big chance he will get outside of working his way back from the AHL with another organization. Sweeney has given him EVERY chance and opportunity to succeed.

With the injuries on our right side and overall weakness on that wing outside of Pastrnak, he really had a stage to show what he could do.

It is November and its time for the leaves to fall. Time for hard decisions to be made.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins’ Brett Ritchie told to start faster out of the gate - The Boston Globe

WASHINGTON — Bruce Cassidy’s advice to Brett Ritchie: get your motor runnin’.
Ritchie, who signed with the Black and Gold in July as an unrestricted free agent, suited up Wednesday night for his 18th game as a Bruin. Niggling injuries have kept him sidelined for nearly half of the club’s games (32) to date, and his ice time diminished in part by Cassidy still tinkering with the forward mix.

“We just need to see him more,” Cassidy said prior to the Bruins facing the Capitals, a game in which Ritchie’s size (6 feet 4 inches, 220 pounds) was an asset against a Capitals’ lineup that includes some thickness and muscle (No. 1, Tom Wilson). “Part of that is on me to stay patient with him. Part of it’s on him.”

“He’s got to get his motor running coming out of it,” said Cassidy. “That’s part of the job for a guy who’s not always playing high minutes — to get going after long stretches. I don’t know if that’s going to be an issue for us or not in the long term with him. Because that’s his role right now. Maybe he earns more minutes, plays a regular role — gets more time on the power play. But time will tell that.”

Reactions: StrBender

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Bruins’ Brett Ritchie told to start faster out of the gate - The Boston Globe

WASHINGTON — Bruce Cassidy’s advice to Brett Ritchie: get your motor runnin’.
Ritchie, who signed with the Black and Gold in July as an unrestricted free agent, suited up Wednesday night for his 18th game as a Bruin. Niggling injuries have kept him sidelined for nearly half of the club’s games (32) to date, and his ice time diminished in part by Cassidy still tinkering with the forward mix.

“We just need to see him more,” Cassidy said prior to the Bruins facing the Capitals, a game in which Ritchie’s size (6 feet 4 inches, 220 pounds) was an asset against a Capitals’ lineup that includes some thickness and muscle (No. 1, Tom Wilson). “Part of that is on me to stay patient with him. Part of it’s on him.”

“He’s got to get his motor running coming out of it,” said Cassidy. “That’s part of the job for a guy who’s not always playing high minutes — to get going after long stretches. I don’t know if that’s going to be an issue for us or not in the long term with him. Because that’s his role right now. Maybe he earns more minutes, plays a regular role — gets more time on the power play. But time will tell that.”

Odd from Cassidy - Ritchie was good in the first period last game. It was after that where he vanished.

Ritchie needs to accept that he must hit and fight and defend teammates to play. It is the only advantage he has over other players working for that spot.

Reactions: BMC

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I am so -so on Ritchie but I think the point is we currently have no better options on the wing. He has some time to get his game going . Kuhlman will test him when he is back and unless there are any injuries at that spot it is #1 to be replaced at the trade deadline and possibly bjork be the 2nd possible spot . The rest of the forwards are safe if here and healthy.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I would say Ritchie is there till Seny gets healthy, then back to the AHL where it looks like he belongs.

Reactions: Estlin

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I agree that Senyshen should replace him. Right now, because of Ritchie's experience, he may be slightly more effective than Senyshen would be. But long term, Senyshen seems like a better choice. Just as physical but faster. Once Senyshen gets back, he needs to get NHL experience so that by playoff time he will be a clearly better choice than Ritchie, maybe even a real threat. If all goes well, that is.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Started strong last night, but I expected more....but at this point that's really shame on me because I know what he is at this point of his career

I don’t understand what Boston was trying to accomplish after Dallas had given up on him for pretty much the same type of play/effort that we have witnessed from him this season.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Idk how the hell he didn't bury that one out front of the net.

You can't get anymore set up than that.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Idk how the hell he didn't bury that one out front of the net.

You can't get anymore set up than that.

He tried to one time it from a bad angle. Little chance he had anywhere to shoot from that spot anyway. And he flubbed it.

The best skilled players might hold onto it a bit longer for a deke around the goalie. But I wouldn't expect that from Ritchie.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
i keyed in on him a lot last night and there was a ton of times where he could have laid a hit after a dman had just barely moved the puck but he actually actively avoided it.. say what you want about backes, but he for sure would have at least put his body into him to let them know we arent afraid of contact.. the washington defender actually braced, expected to get hit but nah. too bad.. he has what seems to be a good shot but never can get in a place to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->