Player Discussion Brett Ritchie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Keyser is in the coast league and had mediocre stats in Jrs. We'll see. Vlaadar won't amount to much. Zane isn't anything special. None are realistic options to step in for Halak next year and give us some extra cap space. Swayman isn't good for Maine.

We have the best goalie in the NHL but the times he hasn't played well seem to be when we haven't had a good backup pushing him. Its an important position.

I'm going to ignore the rest of your post, and just focus on the Keyser comments. You realize he was 2nd in the OHL in SV% last year, and 4th in GAA, right? My understanding is that he basically won a playoff round by himself, though @Dom - OHL could confirm that. It's also been explained why they're playing him in the ECHL here multiple times, so I'm not even going to get into that.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I'm going to ignore the rest of your post, and just focus on the Keyser comments. You realize he was 2nd in the OHL in SV% last year, and 4th in GAA, right? My understanding is that he basically won a playoff round by himself, though @Dom - OHL could confirm that. It's also been explained why they're playing him in the ECHL here multiple times, so I'm not even going to get into that.
2nd place is the first loser.

No Fear

member 96824

Keyser is in the coast league and had mediocre stats in Jrs. We'll see. Vlaadar won't amount to much. Zane isn't anything special. None are realistic options to step in for Halak next year and give us some extra cap space. Swayman isn't good for Maine.

We have the best goalie in the NHL but the times he hasn't played well seem to be when we haven't had a good backup pushing him. Its an important position.

I’m always amazed at the amount of posters who find the time to watch NHL, AHL, OHL, ECHL, and NCAA games

Where do you guys find the time?

I can only speak to Swayman, he’s been great for Maine while he’s been there..so I am questioning how close you’re paying attention switching back and forth between all of those games

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I’m always amazed at the amount of posters who find the time to watch NHL, AHL, OHL, ECHL, and NCAA games

Where do you guys find the time?

I can only speak to Swayman, he’s been great for Maine while he’s been there..so I am questioning how close you’re paying attention switching back and forth between all of those games

Can you even pronounce Vladar (only 1 "a") properly? Because I find 90% of the people have no clue.

BruinsNetwork

Realistically and all kidding aside, just haven’t seen it with Ritchie and don’t think he fits into what Cassidy and Sweeney have been building this team for. Think there are several players in Providence who can offer more and bring more potential to be something better.

Reactions: LSCII

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
They want 1 forward with size who can drop the gloves on the roster. Makes sense to me. Or you can have Backes fill that role for 6 mil and hold your breath when he fights.

I think Backes can help the kids in Providence more than Ritchie.

Backes to Providence, Ritchie to the press box and Bjork into the lineup.

Sorry for the inaccurate goalie posts I didn't know we cut ties with the guy who had been #3 on the depth chart the last few years, I watched Swayman get lit up vs PC last week, and I saw Keyser listed on the ECHL roster. Noones in a position to replace Halak next year so thats that.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
They want 1 forward with size who can drop the gloves on the roster. Makes sense to me. Or you can have Backes fill that role for 6 mil and hold your breath when he fights.

I think Backes can help the kids in Providence more than Ritchie.

Backes to Providence, Ritchie to the press box and Bjork into the lineup.

Sorry for the inaccurate goalie posts I didn't know we cut ties with the guy who had been #3 on the depth chart the last few years, I watched Swayman get lit up vs PC last week, and I saw Keyser listed on the ECHL roster. Noones in a position to replace Halak next year so thats that.
I don't think the plan is to have any of the prospects replace Halak next year. They are going to need a goalie signed, Halak or otherwise with enough NHL experience available for the expansion draft.

And McIntyre hasnt been number 3 in depth the last few years.

As for Keyser in the ECHL, that isnt a bad thing. A lot of great goaltenders get their starts there now. See Holtby, Braden.

Reactions: Lo97 and Strafer

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I’m surprised anyone expects more out of this guy. He is just an extra big strong body that can skate at an nhl level. He isn’t horrible. He just a depth player they can rotate in and out of the line up. He doesn’t hurt the team. He adds some grit and size.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’m surprised anyone expects more out of this guy. He is just an extra big strong body that can skate at an nhl level. He isn’t horrible. He just a depth player they can rotate in and out of the line up. He doesn’t hurt the team. He adds some grit and size.
I don’t think any of US are expecting more. It’s that Sweeney and Co are expecting more that has the fanbase critical.

Rotational in-and-out ( :naughty: ) players shouldn’t be in scoring roles.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don’t think any of US are expecting more. It’s that Sweeney and Co are expecting more that has the fanbase critical.

The guy making 6 mil per for 2 more years has something to do with that can’t get someone else with the cap space he didn’t throw us a bone and go on LTIR.

Ritchie is here because everyone looks away when Backes fights and Backes is the only Bruin these days willing to drop them. K Miller might never play for us again.

I honestly think Sweeney would also love to give. David Backes cap hit to someone else as much as the fans would.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
He’s done some stuff I really like. Net drive and a bully with the puck.

Problem (as I’ve seen) is that he does so as an individual rather than part of his line.

It may be against the grain (and the advanced stats) but I’m willing to give this experiment some more time.
He plays a traditional big man's game and it doesn't mesh real well with a lot of their other guys, they're not trying to cycle the puck down low and Ritchie doesn't quite have the skill or the vision to play their game. I'd like to see what he'd do with Cehlarik but he'd probably have to clear waivers for that to happen.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I don't think he's been as bad as some on here make it sound, but I don't think he is going to stick.

I understand what the Bruins are doing with Ritchie, they have the luxury to try him out for 10-15 games because they are a very good team and he is not going to hurt them. Give him some time because he is cheap and has some upside, let Bjork rip it up in Providence for 10-15 games and then give him his 10-15 games to audition for the spot.

Bruins put themselves in a great position and have the luxury to take their time figuring out that open RW spot. Does not matter that most fans are too impatient and/or shortsighted to see it. The Bruins are going to take advantage of the situation they put themselves in...I still think they're going to need to look outside the organization for the final answer at second line RW

Reactions: HustleB

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
didn`t see the game vs the Devils and while stats most certainly don`t tell the whole story, played 10 mins, put two shots on net and had 4 hits, doesn`t seem awful for a guy making peanuts.

Now, that said, would I rather someone who could be an offensive threat with some speed? Yep but for now, it is what it is, a team still searching for that winger

Reactions: hrdpuk

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

This is correct. Not that he's on the team, but that he's on the team in the role they're using him in. That's what's puzzling.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This is correct. Not that he's on the team, but that he's on the team in the role they're using him in. That's what's puzzling.

with a kid like Bjork who from all accounts had a nice camp is in Providence. Kind of puzzling, I don`t mind if or wouldn`t have minded if Ritchie had a camp that forced the B`s to make that move but it didn`t sound like he did,

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
didn`t see the game vs the Devils and while stats most certainly don`t tell the whole story, played 10 mins, put two shots on net and had 4 hits, doesn`t seem awful for a guy making peanuts.

Now, that said, would I rather someone who could be an offensive threat with some speed? Yep but for now, it is what it is, a team still searching for that winger
Well, I wouldn’t want to be a missing person and have management be in charge of finding me then. They’ve been missing “that” winger for years now and there’s still not much hope in finding him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad