Confirmed with Link: Brett Ritchie re-signs (2 Years, $1.75M AAV)

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Its pretty much what we expected for a bridge, so good.

Welcome back for two more years Mr Ritchie.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Works for me. Happy with the two years.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
16 goals in is first full year
I think this guy could be a wild card on you're team ,,,
Could score 20 next year

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, it took Morrow a few years to crack 20, and then he was consistent. I believe Ritchie will do the same.

But, if he is worth $1.75M, Faksa must be at least $2M and maybe more than Lindell's $2.2M, no?

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Meh. Keep him on the bottom six and it's fine. 24 is peak production for forwards, and he's well behind the curve. I'd really like to see Nill make a shrewd move to trade him for a young quality defenseman. GM's overvalue guys like Ritchie and Dallas will need someone ready to step in after Hamhuis. Methot will be gone soon after and we damn sure know Oleksiak and Nemeth won't cut it (someone that can compete with Lindell if he continues to struggle). Radulov, Nichushkin next year, and Gurianov by then should push him down the depth chart.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Meh. Keep him on the bottom six and it's fine. 24 is peak production for forwards, and he's well behind the curve. I'd really like to see Nill make a shrewd move to trade him for a young quality defenseman. GM's overvalue guys like Ritchie and Dallas will need someone ready to step in after Hamhuis. Methot will be gone soon after and we damn sure know Oleksiak and Nemeth won't cut it (someone that can compete with Lindell if he continues to struggle). Radulov, Nichushkin next year, and Gurianov by then should push him down the depth chart.

Yeah, he's a nice depth goal scorer, but his skating will keep him from being super special. If you're going to be a one trick pony, he picked the best trick to have.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
His possession stats aren't bad, and every team needs big forwards with some skill, ability to go to the net, etc. Sometimes you guys sound like you think Nill could field a team of Seguins or Benn's, but in the practical, real world, BR is a valuable piece.

I would love it if Nill could assemble enough talent to push Ritchie down to the third line, but that would happen on relatively few teams.

As to needing more D, welcome to 2017. Bystrom, Bayreuther, maybe Heatherington should be ready in a year, if not Heiskanen. Depth at RW is a bigger problem right now, somewhat solved by delaying the youngsters and signing Hanzel and Radu.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
His possession stats aren't bad, and every team needs big forwards with some skill, ability to go to the net, etc. Sometimes you guys sound like you think Nill could field a team of Seguins or Benn's, but in the practical, real world, BR is a valuable piece.

I would love it if Nill could assemble enough talent to push Ritchie down to the third line, but that would happen on relatively few teams.

As to needing more D, welcome to 2017. Bystrom, Bayreuther, maybe Heatherington should be ready in a year, if not Heiskanen. Depth at RW is a bigger problem right now, somewhat solved by delaying the youngsters and signing Hanzel and Radu.

Yeah I'm not sure why anyone would worry about defense at this point. If Honka and Heiskanen are as advertised we are in good shape. A 2m backup and Heiskanen's ELC fit into Hamhuis' expiring deal with room to spare. Raises for Johns Janmark and Shore aren't an issue with Lehtonen's expiring contract. When it's time to replace Methot the next year we will have his money and only really need a Hamhuis/Oduya type.

I think you'll get your wish for 3rd line Ritchie for the next 2 years at least.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
He will probably be our next whipping boy, a tweener between lines 2 and 3, occasionally scaling up to the first line with injuries.

Not unlike Cody Eakin. Not a bad player, but not good enough to be above criticisms by us beer drinking hockey fans.....we will crucify him when (not if) he hits a slump.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I like Ritchie. Wish he would throw his weight around a little more. He can be a tank. I see 20-20 upside in him, maybe even a peak season nearing 30.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Yeah I'm not sure why anyone would worry about defense at this point. If Honka and Heiskanen are as advertised we are in good shape. A 2m backup and Heiskanen's ELC fit into Hamhuis' expiring deal with room to spare. Raises for Johns Janmark and Shore aren't an issue with Lehtonen's expiring contract. When it's time to replace Methot the next year we will have his money and only really need a Hamhuis/Oduya type.

I think you'll get your wish for 3rd line Ritchie for the next 2 years at least.

But if they are not then we are in terrible shape. We don't have much besides them so I'd still be concern about the lack of D prospects. Top 6 wingers can always be found so it doesn't matter if we lack winger prospects to develop.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
He will probably be our next whipping boy, a tweener between lines 2 and 3, occasionally scaling up to the first line with injuries.

Not unlike Cody Eakin. Not a bad player, but not good enough to be above criticisms by us beer drinking hockey fans.....we will crucify him when (not if) he hits a slump.

We don't have the expectations of Ritchie we did of Eakin, which is why he became our whipping boy. If Ritchie can make 20-20 and not get a 5 year nearly 4m/per contract then proceed to lose all motivation to play, then he's immediately better than Eakin.

I think Klingberg will be the whipping boy this next season if his play doesn't improve.

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
But if they are not then we are in terrible shape. We don't have much besides them so I'd still be concern about the lack of D prospects. Top 6 wingers can always be found so it doesn't matter if we lack winger prospects to develop.

Nyberg, Bayreuther, Hansson, Vala, Martenet and Cecconi say hi. No, they aren't gonna be 1st pair, We don't have a blue chip or sure thing 2nd pair other than Heiskanen, but all of them have the potential to develop into capable 3rd, borderline 2nd pair guys imo. All it takes is 1 or 2 surprises and guys breaking out to restock a defense.

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
We don't have the expectations of Ritchie we did of Eakin, which is why he became our whipping boy. If Ritchie can make 20-20 and not get a 5 year nearly 4m/per contract then proceed to lose all motivation to play, then he's immediately better than Eakin.

I think Klingberg will be the whipping boy this next season if his play doesn't improve.

Klingberg already is the whipping boy, despite being better than most big names people say that they want. I think Methot is the prime whipping boy.

5 Mil a year, 2 year deal for an aging and declining dman acquired from Ottawa that we gave up assets to acquire based upon his past success when paired with one of the best dmen in the league (Karlsson). Replace Gonchar with Methot and it sounds similar to me if it doesn't pan out.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Klingberg already is the whipping boy, despite being better than most big names people say that they want. I think Methot is the prime whipping boy.

5 Mil a year, 2 year deal for an aging and declining dman acquired from Ottawa that we gave up assets to acquire based upon his past success when paired with one of the best dmen in the league (Karlsson). Replace Gonchar with Methot and it sounds similar to me if it doesn't pan out.

I don't think Methot will be the whipping boy, either. We all know he's on the decline. Klingberg should theoretically be on the up and up, but we've seen his stalwart confidence shatter over the last year.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I don't think Methot will be the whipping boy, either. We all know he's on the decline. Klingberg should theoretically be on the up and up, but we've seen his stalwart confidence shatter over the last year.

I'm hoping with Ruff out of the picture that will change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad