Confirmed with Link: Brett Ritchie a Bruin

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I cant stake my reputation that he will work out in top 6 but I will say that people used to talk about him as untradable. when we sent seguin to dallas their fans were so high on him they didnt want him included.

I do recall Stars fans being pretty pumped about him. I often peruse opposing teams boards simply to get a sense of what their fans think about their team, who is on their personal trading block etc....a few years ago as he was enjoying a solid goal scoring season, fans seemed really pumped about the guy. I have no idea what he brings but he comes cheap and having just lost Acciari I`m guessing Sweeney felt he needed a big body for the bottom 3/6 as it`s just a wear and tear role as we saw and it`s somewhat similar to having loads of D, valuable part of this NHL

Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
6'4'' 26 years old today: Happy BirthDay and welcome to Boston! I hope that he blossoms here. He was physical his first year or two in Dallas. Maybe a change of scenery, coaching, atmosphere will do him good. NOT a big gamble so there's that. He won't block anyone from the farm so that's good. I'm hoping that they can also trade for another RW just to add a bit more competition to the hole that they have on line #2. David Krejci has been a good soldier, time to load him up with some talent.

Reactions: TCB

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
You also have to consider at this point he's probably playing for his career. He just got a 1 year $1m show me contract. If he fizzles out, I don't see him getting another NHL deal.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I do recall Stars fans being pretty pumped about him. I often peruse opposing teams boards simply to get a sense of what their fans think about their team, who is on their personal trading block etc....a few years ago as he was enjoying a solid goal scoring season, fans seemed really pumped about the guy. I have no idea what he brings but he comes cheap and having just lost Acciari I`m guessing Sweeney felt he needed a big body for the bottom 3/6 as it`s just a wear and tear role as we saw and it`s somewhat similar to having loads of D, valuable part of this NHL
IMO we still need another big body since losing Acciari and the RW hole still may exist. One more big body like a Ferland would make me have high hopes at least for 2019-2020. There has to be no doubt that someone is going to fill the void on DK's right side!

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ritchie can shoot.

Someone else made the Brett Connolly comparison...

Connolly commited to playing DF and broke out 2-3 years after Boston.

Hopefully this is a case where a player finds his scoring touch in Boston.

Connolly sucks. He sucked before Boston, he sucked while he was here, and he sucks now. Literally one of the lowest hockey IQ's I've ever seen in a player in the NHL. And I predict regression next year, since the expectations for him are now higher.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
IMO we need another big body since losing Acciari and the RW hole still may exist. One more big body like a Ferland would make me have high hopes at least for 2019-2020. There has to be no doubt that someone is going to fill the void on DK's right side!
Let`s hope, I like Ferland, worry a bit about what $$ he wants and for a guy who has posted 41 pts as his best, I don`t want to break the bank to get him but man would he look nice in a Spoked B jersey

Reactions: Strafer and hutch22

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
another example from recent history is benoit pouliot…

pouliot was 25 when we took him off the trash heap... he ended up playing quite well for us with a plus 18 rating and become known as a advanced stats darling on our better team in our better system.

it helped him go out and get a 4 mill a year deal just a couple seasons later.

pouliot… Knuble… Connolly... im not saying that everytime we go grab a 6'4 underachieving kid that they always turn out great but we do have some history of it... enough history that its not exactly a ufo sighting. it has happened.

this is a NO RISK signing... if he fails he can be buried in ahl at no significant cap consequence to us.

hes young enough he fits the profile of pouliot/Connolly/Knuble perfectly. these big wingers historically have always been known as late bloomers. lets give this guy a arms wide open welcome and let him have a fresh start here before we all just jump to the most negative reaction possible

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
not the brightest hockey player but good size and can hit and scrap. decent hands too.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'm with AOF on this one. There's a chance, however slim, that Ritchie could be a late bloomer.

He was drafted with the expectation that he'd be a top6 guy. He put up big numbers in Jr. He made the Canadian WJC team and put up points. He stepped into the AHL and immediately put up good numbers, the kind of numbers, in those first and second seasons, that suggest he's going to become a top6 forward. It wasn't until he got to the NHL that he stopped scoring. He's really only been used as a 4th liner, at least in terms of minutes, and he's scored like a 4th liner in that role.

So I'm okay with this one. Admittedly, the chances of him becoming the next Knuble or Connolly are slim, but his pedigree makes me think it's not impossible, and since it is practically no risk I don't really see a downside to the experiment.

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
Are you guys really complaining over a 1 million dollar acciari replacement?

Log off the computer and go get some fresh air.

Donny took a cheap flier on a former top prospect. If it doesn't work out then who cares. I'd rather this than acciari at 1.6.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Solid 4th line replacement of acciari. Not necessarily a fan of the deal tho. Cheap, but was sort of hoping Khulman took over acciari 4th line spot.

Unless kuhlman is taking over the 2nd line role there’s a lot of 4th line options right now.

Wagner
Kuraly
Nordstrom
Kuhlman
Ritchie
Backes

Seems like quite the unnecessary log jam, even if backes is moved.

Kuhlman on the 4th line just does nothing for me.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Connolly sucks. He sucked before Boston, he sucked while he was here, and he sucks now. Literally one of the lowest hockey IQ's I've ever seen in a player in the NHL. And I predict regression next year, since the expectations for him are now higher.

At 1 M would you take him?

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
When I heard the Bruins traded Seguin to Dallas, I expected the return to include Ritchie and Oleksiak and couldn't believe the Bruins got neither. It hurts that my preference in prospects is only slightly better than Chia's.

Neither of the Ritchie brothers careers have taken off like scouts expected. Brett's the same size as Coyle so if they play together that could be a tough line for D to contain.

bardown23

Live for hockey
Aug 10, 2012
Solid 4th line replacement of acciari. Not necessarily a fan of the deal tho. Cheap, but was sort of hoping Khulman took over acciari 4th line spot.

Unless kuhlman is taking over the 2nd line role there’s a lot of 4th line options right now.

Wagner
Kuraly
Nordstrom
Kuhlman
Ritchie
Backes

Seems like quite the unnecessary log jam, even if backes is moved.

Don Sweeney has said he wanted to bring in a depth player to create competition. Players battling for a roster spot should mean a better product on the ice rather than players becoming complacent thinking they’ll automatically have a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->