Confirmed with Link: Brett Ritchie a Bruin

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Brett Ritchie 57 PIMs last year 3 fights 1 game misconduct 16 minors in 53 games, those minors must have been horrible and cost the stars a game for each one. 32 PIM in 57 games eliminating fights and misconducts, what a thug:facepalm:

I could not find a breakdown of those 16 minors, wonder how many were matching and how many were roughings, slashing, etc over obstruction calls. If he plays aggressive and takes some penalties there is nothing wrong with that, if he is lazy and holds and trips instead of hustling that is a problem.

Reactions: DKH

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I don't get the concern over this acquisition. If he doesn't pan out you send him down to Prov and he's off the books. It's just one more guy vying for a position, if he doesn't earn it he won't get it. Expectations should be tempered here but it's not like Dallas had any 3rd or 4th line depth for this guy to play with. Give him the same shot your giving everyone else trying for those few available spots, the bigger the pool the more likely you find the right fit.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
With the cap being such a problem, why waste a million on this guy when you have guys within would could handle 4th line duties?
You have to pay some body at least $700K to be on the roster (I guess you don't have to, but realistically), so the impact is only $300K extra against the cap assuming he is on the roster all season. If he can't win a spot you put him through waivers and his $ do not impact the cap.

Why Ritchie instead of a dozen other players is another story.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Just doesn't make sense to me with the cap situation a mess right now. We've been hearing about these prospects for a while now, let them battle for the spot.
They don't have any tough prospects besides Frederic and Blidh. Neither has proven they can play in the NHL. I like both, really like Frederic but they want him at center and there is not a spot barring injury. I think Frederic with his speed would be a better winger, also he seems to be a shoot first player which would fit better at wing.
After getting beat up by the big bad blues even Sweeney seems to have figured out they need some size, Ritchie is a low risk player who has size and some toughness. I don't hear the masses crying about Lindholm who seems totally useless with his 1 goal and 53 hits in 65 games.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You have to pay some body at least $700K to be on the roster (I guess you don't have to, but realistically), so the impact is only $300K extra against the cap assuming he is on the roster all season. If he can't win a spot you put him through waivers and his $ do not impact the cap.

So of those dozen how many are 6'4 and scored 16 goals two seasons ago? How many play the style Ritchie does which this team needs at least one more player to do and ideally more?

Can you imagine the river of tears if Sweeney dealt for Ryan Reaves?

Reactions: sarge88

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
They don't have any tough prospects besides Frederic and Blidh. Neither has proven they can play in the NHL. I like both, really like Frederic but they want him at center and there is not a spot barring injury. I think Frederic with his speed would be a better winger, also he seems to be a shoot first player which would fit better at wing.
After getting beat up by the big bad blues even Sweeney seems to have figured out they need some size, Ritchie is a low risk player who has size and some toughness. I don't hear the masses crying about Lindholm who seems totally useless with his 1 goal and 53 hits in 65 games.

I could do without either of these guys. I love toughness, but one guy isn't going to change anything, especially if he can't play.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Probably because Lindholm is what he is. The Bruins have a need for a RW and Sweeney specifically mentioned Ritchie's name in talking about the top 6 RW situation in a presser. Which has then led to speculation that he is that guy and so it becomes a debate. I imagine not many here, myself included, expect much out of Lindholm. If he does get minutes it will be of the Nordstrom variety likely.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I could do without either of these guys. I love toughness, but one guy isn't going to change anything, especially if he can't play.
Was Ritchie not an NHL regular on a decent team in Dallas? I agree with you and would have liked Michael Ferland or Sam Bennett. I would have preferred Ritchies brother or Garnet Hathaway who is a better skater but not as physical. They didn't get those players, they got Brett. I will give him a chance and hope he can build off what he did a couple seasons ago and play a more consistent physical game.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Probably because Lindholm is what he is. The Bruins have a need for a RW and Sweeney specifically mentioned Ritchie's name in talking about the top 6 RW situation in a presser. Which has then led to speculation that he is that guy and so it becomes a debate. I imagine not many here, myself included, expect much out of Lindholm. If he does get minutes it will be of the Nordstrom variety likely.
I love physical players but Ritchie should be no closer to the top six than Heinen or Senyshyn. In other words no where near.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Was Ritchie not an NHL regular on a decent team in Dallas? I agree with you and would have liked Michael Ferland or Sam Bennett. I would have preferred Ritchies brother or Garnet Hathaway who is a better skater but not as physical. They didn't get those players, they got Brett. I will give him a chance and hope he can build off what he did a couple seasons ago and play a more consistent physical game.

Good post- he is no Tyler Randall or Zac Rinaldo

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Good post- he is no Tyler Randall or Zac Rinaldo

Sounds like a back handed compliment.

Just growing tired of them not fixing the problem they've had now for 2 or 3 years. You had a guy who came in and played well especially in the playoffs and then he walked for a very good deal, but we keep trying to corner the market on fourth liners.

Maybe this is the year one of these forward prospects takes a big jump and makes an impact, because that looks like what Sweeney is banking on.

Sweeney has to get something done and just getting rid of Backes and re-signing guys you already have isn't good enough to put them over the top.

You can't count on everything falling perfectly next playoff....

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
So of those dozen how many are 6'4 and scored 16 goals two seasons ago? How many play the style Ritchie does which this team needs at least one more player to do and ideally more?
There are a couple similar big guys out there, generally older, but the closest match is ..... the ever-popular .... Patrick Maroon.

Reactions: Fenian24

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

My guess is size, it's not like we couldn't have used it in the SCF's.

Last edited:

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Agree - also like that Sweeney isn’t tied to this kind of player long. One year cheap show me contract is the right call. Hathaway took 50% more per year and got 4 years on his deal. Like his game but that’s a pretty long term for it. Wagner was gold for Boston last year but keeping his deal to just two years was a good call too. The body eventually breaks down. Acciari was lucky to get relatively healthy when he did - healthy enough to get too much term and $ from a desperate club.

And as you can see, teams are beating down his door to offer a contract . . .
He’s got to be holding out for a couple year deal and no way in hell should Boston give it to him - they should know more than anyone that he’s cooked considering how they exposed/exploited him in the playoffs

Reactions: Dr Hook

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Brett Ritchie 57 PIMs last year 3 fights 1 game misconduct 16 minors in 53 games, those minors must have been horrible and cost the stars a game for each one. 32 PIM in 57 games eliminating fights and misconducts, what a thug:facepalm:

I could not find a breakdown of those 16 minors, wonder how many were matching and how many were roughings, slashing, etc over obstruction calls. If he plays aggressive and takes some penalties there is nothing wrong with that, if he is lazy and holds and trips instead of hustling that is a problem.
A lot of Stars fans were posting that he takes boneheaded penalties so I would assume it is the latter rather than former

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
A lot of Stars fans were posting that he takes boneheaded penalties so I would assume it is the latter rather than former
Sounds like a more expensive Anton Blidh then.

In all seriousness, I am going to wait and see how he is in camp and the first bit of the regular season. He could surprise people just like Wagner and Nordstrom did this past season.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Sounds like a more expensive Anton Blidh then.

In all seriousness, I am going to wait and see how he is in camp and the first bit of the regular season. He could surprise people just like Wagner and Nordstrom did this past season.
If theres any positive finding good depth pieces for cheap is something Sweeney and Co have done very well so far, hopefully Ritchie is no different.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If Brett Ritchie is getting dressed for B's in anything other than a throwaway game... I think we are in trouble.

He wasn’t that bad or any worse than the other guys who have played in that position.

I rotate Brett through the bottom 2 line RW spots with Wagner and Bjork.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->