Value of: Brett Pesce

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Johnsson is for cap balancing, but I'd assume he has 2nd-3rd round value around the league.

If you wanted Andersen instead, I wouldn't include any of those three prospects.

I mean, if he's for cap balancing... Andersen is a higher cap but I get what you're saying about it affecting the return.

How about Canes retain $1 mil on Pesce?

Reactions: qqaz

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I mean, if he's for cap balancing... Andersen is a higher cap but I get what you're saying about it affecting the return.

How about Canes retain $1 mil on Pesce?

It's unnecessary. Asset wise we'd rather pay full price on his contract (which is insanely good already).

I honestly doubt you'd get a better offer from anyone on this website than what I put in that first post. Basically here is what I'd do:

15th OA
Johnsson
Robertson/Sandin/Liljegren

or

15th OA
Andersen
Abruzzese/Abramov/SDA

Reactions: qqaz

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
It's unnecessary. Asset wise we'd rather pay full price on his contract (which is insanely good already).

I honestly doubt you'd get a better offer from anyone on this website than what I put in that first post. Basically here is what I'd do:

15th OA
Johnsson

or

15th OA
Andersen
Abruzzese/Abramov/SDA

There are already far better offers in this thread. Ehlers and Boeser are much better pieces than anything in those packages. The Canes are trying to compete right now and Pesce is their only RHD signed beyond next year.

Andersen is worth about #53 overall. Canes would be better off dealing Pesce for Ehlers and a 2021 2nd for Andersen if they miss in UFA.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

15th OA
Johnsson

or

15th OA
Andersen
Abruzzese/Abramov/SDA

I hear you. I'm just trying to get best value possible. Although the names of Ehlers, Boeser, and Huberdeau have even been whispered in this thread so while I would say yours is a very strong offer there are definitely a few others that have brought the goods as well.

Reactions: qqaz and Morgs

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Definitely Winnipeg will be interested and probably have the piece Carolina wants but Is Hamilton for sure going to resign there as a UFA?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Definitely Winnipeg will be interested and probably have the piece Carolina wants but Is Hamilton for sure going to resign there as a UFA?

We sure hope so, but to be honest this ‘value of’ thread is just to do exactly that... gauge the value of a Pesce around the league. Trading him and how that would affect the Canes roster in reality is another thing. We don’t have the RHD to deal him or Hamilton at this point.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Who knows for sure, but imo the Canes need to sign Hamilton unless he's way out there with his demands. And Hamilton had been a square peg with two round hole teams before coming to Carolina, a team that seems to fit him like a glove; gotta believe he really wants to stay with the Canes. If both sides negotiate in good faith they should be able to reach an agreement.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Change Johnsson to Andersen. Johnsson doesn't have much value

So 15th, Robertson/Sandin and Andersen for Pesce?

Christ I really hope Dubas doesn't consider that. Pesce is good and on a great contract, but that's a trade you surely regret in 3 years.

Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As stated in my post...

- He’s not on the block
- Canes aren’t looking to move him
- Don’t worry about Canes needs

Just put together the best value offer you can.

Respect OP premise esp after emphasizing not available, just want a pulse on what return could be.

Rangers pass, not a fit.

HOWEVER,
if there is some profit to be earned by brokering deal w/3rd team, etc, we do a Frasier Crane and are listening.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I certainly wouldnt call Hamilton a #1, more an offensive #2, but if thats how Carolina fans see it then so be it

NJ can offer 18th+ but hes already a UFA at the end of his deal so i doubt hes a player Tom Fitzgerald targets. By the time NJ is contending he could have walked in free agency
Adding a top pairing defensive defenseman the same age as Severson and Butcher would significantly expedite the rebuild. The reason our window is so far away because we only have internal pieces and need to wait for them to mature. Our biggest problems last year were coaching, goaltending, and defense, and we've already addressed two of them.

Trading for Pesce in addition to adding a forward or two plus a backup goalie in UFA could make us a bubble team as early as next season, provided the young forwards progress as well as we expect them to.

He would be an ideal partner to pair Ty Smith with, and he pushes Subban and Severson down the lineup into roles they are much better suited for.

Re-signing him shouldn't be an issue as we have boatloads of cap space, with even more becoming available once Zajac/Schneider/Subban's deals expire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad