TBN: Brett Murray quickly finding his way with Americans

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres prospect Brett Murray quickly finding his way with Americans

Brett Murray, listed at 6-5 and 235 pounds was a 4th round in the 2016 entry draft. Murray began the season as a checking forward. He's recently promoted him to left wing beside center Kevin Porter and Andrew Oglevie. In his first 10 games he's recorded 2G, 5A

Gord Dineen:
“What you want a young guy to do is punch a hole in the lineup, and he’s done that. He’s recognized the opportunity that he’s getting and he’s really driven. Another guy with size and … very good hands. When he’s taking the puck to the net, he’s really a really effective guy. A lot of time, big guys, to get their feet moving is one of the things you always have to coax out of them. He’s really got his feet moving, he’s a hard guy to play against. He’s really played a gritty game. His wall play has been really good. He’s got … poise in the tough areas.”

Brett Murray:
Why he left Penn State:

“Playing time and the whole situation, I wasn’t progressing. Personally, it wasn’t the best situation for me.”
Conditioning:
“I was in shape for the level below in the USHL. I trimmed down the body fat, put a little more muscle on, came back and I feel I’m in a very good spot now, personally, with my conditioning level"
Play:
“I like to think I’m hard to get the puck off of. That creates a challenge not only offensively, but in the defensive zone, if I’m able to stall the puck, it’s harder to get the puck off of just the forecheck, get in on the D.”
Praise for Amerks Captain Kevin Porter:
The core guys here, they’re easy to turn to. The first couple games, I wouldn’t say I was scared, but it’s always nerve-racking when you’re at a new level and you’re new to the team, new to the league. But I turned to those older guys. If I have a question it’s easy to turn to somebody.”

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Love the frame and his drive to play. Stats look good too. Really exactly what the Sabres need. Still feel like it's too quick of a turnaround. A few games probably wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm sure the vets are ahead of him in line, even at this point.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I love his progress and would be totally fine with seeing him get a callup, even if it's just for a few practices, later in the season.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Love the frame and his drive to play. Stats look good too. Really exactly what the Sabres need. Still feel like it's too quick of a turnaround. A few games probably wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm sure the vets are ahead of him in line, even at this point.
The major point is if we don't sign him to an ELC we lose his right June 1st.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

They are down to two NHL contract forwards in Rochester who are healthy: Dea and Oglevie.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
They are down to two NHL contract forwards in Rochester who are healthy: Dea and Oglevie.
Neither of which I want anywhere near our NHL roster, but it's getting the point where we're so bad it doesn't even matter

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Can't remember the parameters for an emergency CHL call up. I would explore that option at this point before pulling up Murray.
Kid has certainly earned an ELC though.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Can't remember the parameters for an emergency CHL call up. I would explore that option at this point before pulling up Murray.
Kid has certainly earned an ELC though.

I think we'd have to get even more forward injuries first. Emergency recalls are only available if the team cannot ice a roster with 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 2 goalies. We've got 11 healthy forwards right now and 2 more guys with NHL contracts available to us in the AHL.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Neither of which I want anywhere near our NHL roster, but it's getting the point where we're so bad it doesn't even matter

Why do you not want either near the NHL roster? Oglevie had a great camp last year before his concussion issue and picked right back up this year. Good speed, goes to hard areas, stops/starts hard, plays sound defense... what is the issue? He very much should be on the radar for recall before some of the other NHL contract guys who are currently hurt. He has played better than just about every other contract forward other than Thompson and...Dea. Dea has always had good numbers and is no skating slouch.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Why do you not want either near the NHL roster? Oglevie had a great camp last year before his concussion issue and picked right back up this year. Good speed, goes to hard areas, stops/starts hard, plays sound defense... what is the issue? He very much should be on the radar for recall before some of the other NHL contract guys who are currently hurt. He has played better than just about every other contract forward other than Thompson and...Dea. Dea has always had good numbers and is no skating slouch.
Whenever I've seen oglevie it didn't seem like he had the hands or speed to be a real contributor on an nhl team. Dea has the speed but he was a low iq mess in pre-season. I just don't think either of them are that good.

If I had to pick one it would be Oglevie.

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
This makes me happy...I've been waiting for this kid to get a chance, he was the prospect everyone forgot about.

Hope he gets an ELC soon.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
What is Murray's ceiling?
Big Mete.

I kid, I kid. I'd be thrilled with poor man's JVR, 10G peak but physical presence on the walls and netfront. As US developed player I have no idea if he can chuck knucks but filling a Marcus Foligno or even not-as-suck Deslauriers role would be huge for this bunch of p

Even if he's just Andrew Peters that would add something to this roster.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Big Mete.

I kid, I kid. I'd be thrilled with poor man's JVR, 10G peak but physical presence on the walls and netfront. As US developed player I have no idea if he can chuck knucks but filling a Marcus Foligno or even not-as-suck Deslauriers role would be huge for this bunch of p

Even if he's just Andrew Peters that would add something to this roster.

Maroon-lite might be a thing.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I kid, I kid. I'd be thrilled with poor man's JVR, 10G peak but physical presence on the walls and netfront. As US developed player I have no idea if he can chuck knucks but filling a Marcus Foligno or even not-as-suck Deslauriers role would be huge for this bunch of

Maybe a less-intimidating Ryan Reaves-type. Or like a cross between JVR-lite and Reaves.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
ceiling: I'd say a winger version of Brian Boyle. That's to say, a big body that fits on the 4th line that could possibly be a key piece in the puck possession game. Definitely won't have the faceoff prowess.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Big old brick **** house of a power forward is exactly what we need in the smoker.

Kudos for using an appropriate analogy. I'm not sure I see Murray as a power forward; maybe an energy guy. Who knows maybe it all comes together for him. They should be looking at signing him, there are plenty of contract slots open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad