Player Discussion Brett Kulak: Top pairing candidate #6

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I remember Arpon Basu writing a Kulak article for The Athletic, what must have been 2 years ago now, and claimed Kulak could he given 4 to 5 million per season. I was completely baffled and wondered if he was drunk when he made the statement. I have no idea how someone could watch Kulak play - even at his best - and come away with the impression he’s a 4 or 5 million dollar defensemen. It was after his decent debut season for the Habs. But still a laughable statement.

To this day I still wonder if Basu and Kulak are friends. It’s the only thing that makes sense.
It was not Basu. There was a fellow there who had a giant hard on for Kulak and used some fancy site that projects salary. He also was prepared to re-sign Jordan Weal for north of 2 million.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
for sure, with Chiarot, Merill, Gustaffson, I can't see Kulak getting games.

No team would trade for him imo, not with that extra year at 2.2M in salary for a guy that has gone over 90 games without a goal.
I think if we decide to pony up for a top-3 PMD in the offseason there's a chance Kulak might be included as a contract going out. After all, it's only one more year. I certainly hope we'll be able to pull it off. Weber and Petry need help.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Tatar and Danault won't sign for cheap.

You can definitely keep one of them (which should be Danault). And its not THAT hard to find decent LWers on the open market. Maybe not as good as Tatar, but with Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher and Caufield, I'm not sure you want to give the term that a 30 year old Tatar probably wants.

Reactions: Archijerej

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
for sure, with Chiarot, Merill, Gustaffson, I can't see Kulak getting games.

No team would trade for him imo, not with that extra year at 2.2M in salary for a guy that has gone over 90 games without a goal.
Not a big Kulak fan but I think he's before Gustafsson on the depth chart

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It was not Basu. There was a fellow there who had a giant hard on for Kulak and used some fancy site that projects salary. He also was prepared to re-sign Jordan Weal for north of 2 million.

We need to petition to make that guy GM of an NHL team
Although it might be MB given he signed Weal to a 2 years $1.4M contract

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This guy has gotten thrown under the bus over and over by some in our fan base and I don't know why. He's a great depth guy for us that can step in a top 4D role in case of injuries.

Big boy that skates well and plays physical. -2 is not attractive but he is being targeted by other teams coaches and holding his own while his partner keeps changing

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Couldn't find the Kulak thread so created a new one. This guy has gotten thrown under the bus over and over by some in our fan base and I don't know why. He's a great depth guy for us that can step in a top 4D role in case of injuries.

Big boy that skates well and plays physical.

I think there’s so much reinforcement from the coaches during the playoffs to get everyone to stick to their roles, play safe and structured, which helps keep Kulak looking good. In the regular season he has more leeway and makes real boneheaded decisions. Kind of like Chiarot right now. There are times when both think they can be Bobby Orr and create something from nothing. Right now they are sticking to the game plan - short passes to forwards or flip it out if you have no options.

Reactions: Trash Man

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think there’s so much reinforcement from the coaches during the playoffs to get everyone to stick to their roles, play safe and structured, which helps keep Kulak looking good. In the regular season he has more leeway and makes real boneheaded decisions. Kind of like Chiarot right now. There are times when both think they can be Bobby Orr and create something from nothing. Right now they are sticking to the game plan - short passes to forwards or flip it out if you have no options.

I'm seeing a late bloomer trend.. fringe top 4 depending on his partner. You are not wrong with the you sit if you don't listen to the coaches narrative. I think Kulak is underrated in terms of the depth he provides us and his ability to adapt to the multiple partners we throw at him. He's got 4 guys ahead of him to learn from too

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Ever since Kulak got double teamed in the first by Kolesar and Carrier, he’s playing hot potato. He’s not a fan of the physical forecheck so he’s just trying to get rid of it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This guy has gotten thrown under the bus over and over by some in our fan base and I don't know why. He's a great depth guy for us that can step in a top 4D role in case of injuries.

Big boy that skates well and plays physical. -2 is not attractive but he is being targeted by other teams coaches and holding his own while his partner keeps changing

One of many takes that didn't hold up well as soon as we faced a cup contender...

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I'm seeing a late bloomer trend.. fringe top 4 depending on his partner. You are not wrong with the you sit if you don't listen to the coaches narrative. I think Kulak is underrated in terms of the depth he provides us and his ability to adapt to the multiple partners we throw at him. He's got 4 guys ahead of him to learn from too
Fringe top 4 in the AHL ? Probably

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
What are we going to do with this guy?
He's been playing a lot better since MSL took over.

I'd keep him if he accepts a cheap contract extension.

I don't really see the appeal to trade him for a fourth-round pick but if you're not resigning him then yea sure get whatever is out there.

Reactions: Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad