Player Discussion Brett Kulak: Top pairing candidate #6

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by donghabs98, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Vachon23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It’s his 3rd year here and he’s 4th season in the NHL. At 27, he is what he is. My problem with him is that I can’t say what is his role in a team. Every other regular player in the team has a role (they can play on PP or PP, Bring a physical presence) except him.

2. TheBuriedHab Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I guess I have a higher opinion of him than most. He skates really well for his size, has some offense to his game too. He can play top 4 minutes in a pinch. Love him on the third pair with Romanov. Hopefully he can find some consistency in his game like Petry did later in his 20s.

Acadien86 likes this.
  3. Hfbsux Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I might not be watching the same game as some posters on here. I was just thinking about how Kulak was a good pickup and how he's doing a great job paired with Romanov. He's been really solid out there. Barely any mistakes or turnovers.

4. Habs Halifax Loyal Habs Fan

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Civil Engineering
    Highest amount of games he has played with the Habs in one season is 57. He was fighting to stay consistent. He's a 27 year year old with only 220 games. Might end up a journey man or he might end up a solid asset for us.

Like I said, I would steer clear of trying to nit pick his game before we get to see a full season in a Habs jersey. I see what our coaches see in him and it's all about not missing assignments. If he figures that part out, you will be surprised and your nit picking goes out the window. If he don't, you nit picking becomes true. Personally, I'm not going to play that game on a guy with only 220 games over 7 years. There are a shit load of D in today's NHL that only figure things out in their 25-30 years. Reality

He's not a 7th guy. If he was, we would be stacked! Not all teams have depth like that on the back end.

5. Habs Halifax Loyal Habs Fan

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Civil Engineering
    You like him just like me, some others, and our coaches. Some other fans want a team full of Hughes's which is comical. I value big and mobile D groups cause it's proven to win in the NHL and our management is thinking the same.

The Habs don't need small dudes who can't play D when we have Weber, Petry, Romanov who can produce offense. Of course we would like guys like Werenski and Jones but what we have is solid, very solid. Some fans need to take a back seat with their nit pick approach on Chiarot, Edmundson, and Kulak support pieces

6. Vachon23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    He plays only 57 games because he’s not enough good to play all the game. Do we need to wait to see a complete season of Jordan Weal before knowing he’s a journeyman ? And the coach see that he’s a journeyman too, they are playing him 13 sheltered minutes by games (He start 70 % of his shift in the Ozone).

7. Habs Halifax Loyal Habs Fan

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Civil Engineering
    Because he was fighting consistency. Come on man. You are trying to take the general approach on him and not looking at the windows of sample where he looks great and then no so much. Habs management has been working with him on consistency. How do you not understand that there were two different versions of Kulak play? You seem to be trying to group him in a general approach. I'd avoid that. Cause like I said, there is a shit load of NHL D that figure things out in the 25-30 age range

You saying he don't figure out the consistency part? Cause that's all you got. The only (negative) approach I would give you that might happen is he brings back old habits. But I think he has learned and he's more mature.

Bergevin goes after guys around age 25 all the time. Why? I'll let you ponder about that and then I'll let you consider how many guys we have that we acquired around that age? Danault, Petry, Byron, Anderson, Armia, Kulak. I would not question Bergevin's ability to find hits on players that other teams give up on. Bergevin's strength is depth and Kulak is a big part of it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  8. Vachon23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    On that role he’s fine, he’s doing a good job. But he plays easy minutes that a 700k defenseman could play easily to. It’s not only consistency his problem, it’s the tool box that it’s not big. If he was able to play on the PK or if he would bring a physical presence then he would be tough to replace but that’s not the case. If we keep him on that role I have absolutely no problem with it but if we need capspace for a trade, he’s an easy solution to find some

9. Habs Halifax Loyal Habs Fan

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Civil Engineering
    I disagree on your approach towards Kulak.

10. A55P2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Kulak is fast and he keeps the pace up that our entire D maintains. Plus he's alright defensively, better than Mete. There's no point acquiring somebody else and he's doing fine. Our 3rd D pair is really a second at the moment.

Acadien86 likes this.
  11. Vachon23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    It’s ok we can’t agree on everything but you still didn’t say me what make Kulak inexpendable

12. Archijerej Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think a #6D is expendable by definition. As long as it makes sense.

13. Habs Halifax Loyal Habs Fan

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Civil Engineering
    Lets circle back at the end of this season

14. Vachon23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I agree but I still like my bottom player to have a role on the team. That they can kill penalties or bring a physical presence. I need to be clear I have no problem with Kulak as #6 but 1,8m for what he brings is step for a team that need money. If we had capspace I wouldn’t say anything

15. Vachon23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Petry was playing big minutes in Edmonton though and he was playing on the PP/PK. It's really not the same thing

16. Archijerej Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think this will become a bigger issue next year. This year, we're deep and we have the means to accrue cap space and call up a guy like Perry when needed.

Vachon23 likes this.
  17. TheBuriedHab Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I'm not saying he's going to reach Petry's heights. Just that he found consistency in his game later.

18. Vachon23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    My argument of replacing Kulak to save money start when PLD was still a possibility, so yes right now I do agree with you. But if we have a possibility to make a trade and we need money he's the easy solution. That is my point

Archijerej likes this.
  19. Habs Icing Formerly Onice

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Filmmaker
    Not really. If Romanov continues progressing it would be more beneficial to move Romanov into Edmundson's place, Fleury into the 3rd paring right d-man spot and trade Edmundson. Kulak is better value than Edmundson. And I think Edmundson is doing an excellent job.
    Compare:
    Chiarot Weber
    Romanov Petry
    Kulak Fleury

to
    Chairot Weber
    Edmundson Petry
    Romanov Fleury.

20. Vachon23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Thee 2nd one is better. Edmundson is way better then Kulak and it's not even close in my mind

21. Habs Icing Formerly Onice

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Filmmaker
    Kulak is better defensively and at moving the puck. Edmundson provides muscle on the back end but Fleury would make up for some of that lost muscle. Also Edmundson's contract is what 4-4.5. You save a lot more by unloading him.

22. nilan30 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    You rarely hear his name during games which is nice for a 3rd pairing D.

23. Vachon23 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Kulak is not better defensively. Edmundson can play PK and he doesn't need to be sheltered to be effective. He has a role in a team what I can say about Kulak. He brings a lot more then what Kulak brings and Edmundson is at 3.5m not 4m.

Hins77 likes this.
  24. Hins77 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Kulak on the third pairing ok, but last year he played with petry and was too much exposed. He struggled with the puck like no one else Imo, Edmundson is better than Kulak and fit better on the second pairingj

Vachon23 likes this.
  25. Hins77 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Agree, In own zone, edmundson with his reach or his physicality is able to close the gap/end the play by the opponent quickly. I saw Mcdavid did absolutely nothing vs esmundson. Kulak would just skating after him all the time. He is not enough solid physically and struggle with the puck. But in the third pair against third line its okay

Vachon23 likes this.