Speculation: Brett Kulak arbitration ask

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
Maybe he wants a one-way?

Maybe. In any event, since he cleared waivers it looks like the team will win on this one. Pretty ruthless though.

Money is money. And this is a business. If every player on your team is overpaid by 500K because it’s not really that big a deal, your roster is about 11.5M above the cap.

Yeah I know, but when you look at how many bad contracts there are in the league trying to nickel and dime one of your grunts is a bad look. Maybe if the GMs didn't blow so much money on horrid contracts they wouldn't have to pull stuff like this?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If I was one of his teammates and saw the GM waiving a player to save on $500,000 I wouldn't be too impressed.

Kulak was asking for more than he was worth so Treliving made him available to every team in the league and nobody would take him for free. I fail to see the problem here. It's empirical proof of his league-wide value.

Reactions: Haatley

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
also a reminder that the decision is rarely one or the other, it is almost always a number between the two asks.

I expect Kulak to fall at about 750k on a 1-way deal

Reactions: Snazu

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
650K? Isnt that less than what he made last year? and two way?

So basically the Flames is claiming that Kulak went backward when he made their roster? brutal :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
650K? Isnt that less than what he made last year? and two way?

So basically the Flames is claiming that Kulak went backward when he made their roster? brutal :laugh:
It's exactly what he made last year.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
also a reminder that the decision is rarely one or the other, it is almost always a number between the two asks.

I expect Kulak to fall at about 750k on a 1-way deal

I agree with your estimate. I'd say Kulak just learned a valuable lesson because he should've just taken his QO and avoided abitration, which was almost the same as what he will probably end up with. The Flames would probably want a number that can be buried without affecting the cap if they decide to send him down and call up someone else.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Maybe. In any event, since he cleared waivers it looks like the team will win on this one. Pretty ruthless though.

Yeah I know, but when you look at how many bad contracts there are in the league trying to nickel and dime one of your grunts is a bad look. Maybe if the GMs didn't blow so much money on horrid contracts they wouldn't have to pull stuff like this?

Ruthless? It’s almost double what the team thinks he’s worth to them.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
If I was one of his teammates and saw the GM waiving a player to save on $500,000 I wouldn't be too impressed.

The Flames have Anderson and Valimaki knocking on the door. Kulak is going to need to fight to keep his job. There’s a decent chance he’ll be the 7th D at this point so it’s not like he has any real leverage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad