Brett Hull or Jeremy Roenick: The Next Great Analysts?

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Say you're the prez of OLN, and you've got a chance to bring one of the two most prominent AMERICAN players ever to play in the NHL to your studio to be the NHL's Charles Barkley-type guy, and you can pick either Brett Hull or Jeremy Roenick.

Who do you take?

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
I think I'd prefer Hull, too. Actually, I'd really choose neither if we could open the field up. They're very quotable guys, but nothing about either of them strikes me as "great" analysts. Hull sounds too comatose and Roenick, though entertaining, is about as sharp as a bowling ball. They're better for sound bytes, juggling, and general tomfoolery, like a couple of crazy uncles.

taylorguitars

May 12, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Roenick. He's been my favorite player since the early 90's and I just think he's more articulate than Hull is. Both are great for an off the cuff remark, but Jeremy seems to have a bit over Hull in the way he says it. Besides JR's heart has always, and will always be with hockey, Hull on the other hand has been with golf the last few years.

Witter

Jan 11, 2006
Long isle
Hull, although i like Roenick better as a person and whatnot i believe Hull would be the better analyst

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Webb-20 said:
Hull, although i like Roenick better as a person and whatnot i believe Hull would be the better analyst

Gotta agree here. Brett is a smart, quick witted guy who would certainly would make a great analyst or color guy.

I enjoy J.R.'s opinion as well. Just prefer Hull.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Both lack class but if I had to pick one it would be Hull. JR acts like a 16 year old kid and would get annoying faster.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
JR needs to become a permanant host on the best damn sport show. They have a baseball, basketball, and football guy on that show. He can be the hockey guy.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
PortlandRanger said:
JR needs to become a permanant host on the best damn sport show. They have a baseball, basketball, and football guy on that show. He can be the hockey guy.

I'd second that, if OLN doesn't snatch him up first. JR has even done games before, at least a period or two for ESPN when he's been concussed in the past.

Both are great quotes, but to paraphrase from the CNNSI article said last week, Roenick gives that "reach thru the TV and choke him" feeling that people get from Barry Melrose.

OLN has too many good guys right now on the set, they need a black hat to shake things up.

Evil Genius

Mar 24, 2006
ATL
I'd take JR. Put him out there with Clement who can anchor a show and let JR just be himself.

Hull's not a bad choice but I'd tend to agree with the above post - he's all about the golf now.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Spydey629 said:
I'd second that, if OLN doesn't snatch him up first. JR has even done games before, at least a period or two for ESPN when he's been concussed in the past.
And wait until the first time PM clips him over the head with a microphone.

I like JR more as a sports show host, can't see him as a commentator, but you never know.

GSC2k2*

They are both utter morons. Viewers would get dumber just by listening to them. {Much like people do when they are listening to Charles Barkley, come to think of it...}

Lose/lose.

The poster above who made the "crazy uncle" comment has it right. The crazy uncle may make you laugh, but that doesn't make it right.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Roenick earned rave reviews for his work during the World Cup of Hockey. So he already has a leg up there. I've always found Roenick to be a little smoother in front of the camera than Hull, and just an all-out better entertainer. (Anyone else crack up big-time watching him sing and dance to Enrique Iglaceis [sp?] last year on Off the Record?) He's sarcastic, he's controversial, but I think he'd do a better job in conversation/argument/analysis roles than Hull, who I've viewed as more of a quick quip/one-liner type.

Brendan Shanahan will make an excellent analyst/panel regular one day, with his personality and entertainment. (Early in his career, he had a sign that said "Better Quotes Here" on his locker room stall).

Does anyone know if Shawn Burr, Gary Suter and Jim McKenzie - three perennial media darlings - have found work in the game since they retired?

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Roenick was kind of awkward sitting in the booth during the World Cup in 2004. He needs a bit more polish. I'd go with Hull and Chelios, if the latter decides to call it a career.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
JR is the annoying type but not the annoying type to where you have to see what he says. He's the annoying type where when you hear him you turn off your tv.

I do think they need to bring someone exciting in for the studio I just don't think JR would work out. He's an idiot. I remember in 04 he complained about the Devils playing the trap when his team at the time the Flyers played the exact sameway. I don't think JR would work out goo I think he would comeon and most people would turn of their tv's.

There is a difference between what Charles Barkley does and the whining that Roenick does. Everything Roenick says is just whining about how it didn't go his way.

Evil Genius

Mar 24, 2006
ATL
moneyp said:
I'd go with Hull and Chelios, if the latter decides to call it a career.

You mean in 2056 when they scrape Cheli's dead, lifeless body off the Joe's ice surface? ;)

GSC2k2*

Evil Genius said:
You mean in 2056 when they scrape Cheli's dead, lifeless body off the Joe's ice surface? ;)
In 2056?

How would that be different than right now?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Stevedude530 said:
let's not forget, ABC paid a half a billion dollars 5 years ago to show 4 games each season.

Uhm Nope.

That "half a billion dollars" (actually $600M over 5 years) was for the complete ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 package - a bit more than 4 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad