Brett Hull: Mike Modano is a top 5 (American?) player of all time

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Isn't Kane already past Leetch? If not he must be damn close.He's been at the very upper echelon of the NHL since 2013, and he too has the playoffs heroics.

not quite yet. Leetch gets pretty heavily underrated.

career PPG of 0.85 over 1,200 games for a defenseman is no joke.

Especially one as good defensively as Leetch. He wasnt some sheltered PMD running around. Doughty would be a poor man's Leetch.

2x Norris, Smythe, Calder.

Also, Leetch has the best playoff run between the 2. 11-23-34 in 23, +19 and 4 GWG.

In terms of Modano. Sorry, not sorry but I have Roenick above him

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Isn't Kane already past Leetch? If not he must be damn close.He's been at the very upper echelon of the NHL since 2013, and he too has the playoffs heroics.

You could argue that for sure. The thing with Leetch is that he strangely didn't have great seasons in his 30s in comparison to his 20s. He had a bit of a strange career arc that way.

I don't get it

Hitchcock was thought to be the type of coach who would make you better at both ends of the rink but sometimes would suck the offensive life out of a player and not have him use his skill offensively as much. In other words, Modano wanted to say that Hitchcock made him a better player but he knows the way Hitchcock did that wasn't popular among teammates.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
not quite yet. Leetch gets pretty heavily underrated.

career PPG of 0.85 over 1,200 games for a defenseman is no joke.

Especially one as good defensively as Leetch. He wasnt some sheltered PMD running around. Doughty would be a poor man's Leetch.

2x Norris, Smythe, Calder.

Also, Leetch has the best playoff run between the 2. 11-23-34 in 23, +19 and 4 GWG.

Doughty is better defensively, and crippled by defensive coaching IMO. Leetch was pretty damn awesome offensively though. My comparison would be Karlsson who is not nearly as bad defensively as some want to make it out to be. I do agree that that Leetch playoff is one for the ages - Mark Messier promised a win and delivered huge in the next game in the Stanley Cup finals yet Leetch won the Smythe. That speaks to what a great playoff Leetch had that year.

In terms of Modano. Sorry, not sorry but I have Roenick above him.

Me too. Roenick's peak is simply greater. He wasn't some kind of one-dimensional forward either.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
This talk of Roenick peaking higher than Modano is interesting

Using adjusted stats, neither has a 100+ point season

Roenick has a pair of 90+ point seasons topping out at 97

Modano has three 90+ point seasons topping out at 95

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I wouldn’t put Roenick over Modano....

Sure he peaked higher, but Modano has him beat in virtually every other aspect of hockey. He was much more consistent, better defensively, and was a savy playoff performer. Roenick has those 3-4 out of his 20 year career where statistically he beats Modano, where as Modano has close to a 10 year span of high productivity, a majority of it being among the best centers and defensive players in the league. Add playoff success, I don’t see it being that close.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I certainly can't see any argument for Roenick over Modano. Maybe statistically they are close, but I think Modano was great a year sooner than Roenick, and he maintained a consistent prime longer. Yes, Roenick got a dozen more points than Modano in 1993 and 1994, but he was doing so on a much better team with a more offensive style.

Also, Modano had to "carry the mail" on his teams pretty much every year until 2006. As early as 1995, Roenick was getting outscored by teammates, and I don't recall him being top-dog in Philly or (at least consistently) with Arizona.

Well, just my opinion.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I’m honestly surprised some here don’t even consider him a top 5 American player. He’s the highest scoring player for his country. He was one of the best two way players during his era. To be the highest scoring American born player in goals, assists, and overall points with a cup, and NOT be considered top 5 is insane to me.

I think Kane vs Modano is a good and better debate. Kane has the advantages offensively, his skill and versatility offensively is up there with the best in his era. He had a much higher peak, and has the hardware with multiple cups. Modano was the better all around player while being one one of the highest scoring players in the DPE while being a defensive threat. He had two overall impressive cup runs, winning once.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
I’d like to see history of hockey do a top 25 project for best American players I think it would bring up some interesting discussions that another top goalies or wingers wouldn’t. For me right now

Chelios
Brimsek
Kane
Lafontaine
Leech

Lafontaine is criminally underrated here, he was legit the 3 rd best player for a couple of years and was a guy you looked for highlights and wanted to go see play in on your ice

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
No...My top 5 american players are Chelios, Hull, Lafontaine, Leetch and Kane.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Bull****, Lafontaine is in the HHOF and Barrasso isn't even though for ridiculously biased reasons. Lafontaine absolutely deserves to be in the top 5 best Americans.

Chelios, Brimsek, Leetch, Barrasso, Modano. It isn't like there are scrubs in place of Lafontaine. I don't mind Lafontaine ahead of Barrasso though to be honest. I just think because of time and seasons missed he isn't ahead of Modano. Modano beats them both personally, I didn't really have my list in any specific order other than Chelios would be my #1 regardless.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Chelios, Brimsek, Leetch, Barrasso, Modano. It isn't like there are scrubs in place of Lafontaine. I don't mind Lafontaine ahead of Barrasso though to be honest. I just think because of time and seasons missed he isn't ahead of Modano. Modano beats them both personally, I didn't really have my list in any specific order other than Chelios would be my #1 regardless.
I have no issue with Modano over Lafontaine in terms of overall career, sure. But Barrasso....??? No....

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Barrasso has a better resume than you'd think. Vezina, Calder, AS1, 2xAS2, Vezina-2x3 and a Vezina-3.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Just going off the cuff thinking of top American players.....Chelios, Leetch, Modano, LaFontaine....I didn't get to a fifth one and Modano was there.....If Hull meant top five American I think it's legit *thumbs up*

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I’m honestly surprised some here don’t even consider him a top 5 American player. He’s the highest scoring player for his country. He was one of the best two way players during his era. To be the highest scoring American born player in goals, assists, and overall points with a cup, and NOT be considered top 5 is insane to me.

It's because he's the American Toews.

Overrated > underrated.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It's because he's the American Toews.

Overrated > underrated.
Modano was a much better and more dominant player than Toews ever was. He has the actually play and numbers to back it up, all Toews gas is intangibles. There is nothing intangible about being the number one American born offensive player.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Modano was a much better and more dominant player than Toews ever was. He has the actually play and numbers to back it up, all Toews gas is intangibles. There is nothing intangible about being the number one American born offensive player.

Toews has a Selke, a Smythe, led the playoffs in scoring, was best forward at the Olympics. You can't escape the power of the Toews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->