Brett Hull: Mike Modano is a top 5 (American?) player of all time

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Think if he was on Gretzky or Lemieux's line he'd have a ton more points than he already does now. Likely top-five scoring all-time.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
HOF worthy, great player, in the conversation as a top-5 US player of all time (even that's debatable). Nothing wrong with that.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Mike Modano is underrated because he played under the suffocating Hitchcock system, peaking at the heart of the dead puck era, both of which severely diminished his numbers.

But he was a great two-way franchise center, and if you look at the playoffs ice-time among forwards in the last 30 years (for deep runs), I'm pretty sure his back-to-back runs are #1.He played defensemen minutes.He should have won the Smythe in 1999.

He was also playing on both special units.

When you have a player like that it certainly makes things easier.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I don't even know if Mike is a top 3 player from his draft year (personal opinion), so I don't consider him a top 5 player of all time. But he is hands down one of the greatest Americans to ever play the game. And over 2 decades with the Stars organization is just so impressive.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Mike Modano is underrated because he played under the suffocating Hitchcock system, peaking at the heart of the dead puck era, both of which severely diminished his numbers.

But he was a great two-way franchise center, and if you look at the playoffs ice-time among forwards in the last 30 years (for deep runs), I'm pretty sure his back-to-back runs are #1.He played defensemen minutes.He should have won the Smythe in 1999.

He was also playing on both special units.

When you have a player like that it certainly makes things easier.

I don't agree with that. Nieuwendyk scored 6 GWGs in the POs that year, 5 in the 3rd period or OT. Modano scored 5 goals total.

Reactions: Sentinel

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't agree with that. Nieuwendyk scored 6 GWGs in the POs that year, 5 in the 3rd period or OT. Modano scored 5 goals total.

Regardless, obviously Nieuwendyk was great too.But Modano was the motor on that team, the heart.No Modano, no team.

Reactions: feffan

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Regardless, obviously Nieuwendyk was great too.But Modano was the motor on that team, the heart.No Modano, no team.

The motor was Zubov, the heart was Hatcher. No single player could entirely support a cup contender of the late 90s against Detroit, Colorado, or New Jersey. Not Gretzky or anyone.

Reactions: Sentinel

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
The motor was Zubov, the heart was Hatcher. No single player could entirely support a cup contender of the late 90s against Detroit, Colorado, or New Jersey. Not Gretzky or anyone.

You can read between the lines and stop taking my words literally.

Modano was the best player on those Dallas teams by far.A two-way center who can play both special units and face any other centers, in a conference filled with a disgusting lineup of all-time great centers is beyond vital.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Sundin is better, let alone Federov, Bure, Yzerman, Sakic, Selanee, etc... That's 6 better contemporaries already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad