Player Discussion Brett Howden

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
The interesting thing with Howden over the years is that he's had a tendency to elevate his play in big- game situations. Certainly, that's going to be more difficult to do in the NHL, but I'm hopeful it's a trend that continues.

We talk a lot about Andersson as a future leader of this team, but I think Howden's potential to be a leader is pretty high up there as well.
They both feel like the types of guys on cup winners who play on the 2nd/3rd line and end up a PPG during a longer playoff run

Reactions: UnSandvich

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The interesting thing with Howden over the years is that he's had a tendency to elevate his play in big- game situations. Certainly, that's going to be more difficult to do in the NHL, but I'm hopeful it's a trend that continues.

We talk a lot about Andersson as a future leader of this team, but I think Howden's potential to be a leader is pretty high up there as well.
Captain Howdy Doody has a good ring to it.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Love Howden, but start getting restless when I see the rockets strapped to him.

It inevitably leads to unfair expectations and disappointment.

I knowwwww, I'm just loving his combo of size, speed, two-way ability, and his leadership qualities (displayed in the past). Always appreciate your thoughts on him, @Edge

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He's a keeper. And when he and Hajek are major components of a really good team in a few years, we'll still hear how the McDonagh trade sucked because we didn't get Sergachev.

I still have a vested interest in TB winning this year so we can squeeze every last asset out of that deal.

I want no less than 4 NHL players to come from that trade, just so I can use memes featuring Russell Crowe asking the masses if they are not yet entertained.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Really enjoying watching this kid. I sure hope Chytil and Andersson are as physically assertive as he is in 2 years.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Brett howden is really something to watch. I love smart hockey players...and he's just off the charts smart...if you watch him on iso, you can see how well he's anticipating the play.

What’s interesting is his ability to adapt and play with different players.

Last year in the WJC he was used in a defensive role and his line still found ways to produce.

In Moose Jaw he blended with different players who weren’t necessarily future stars and it worked.

I will say that the offensive game has always been a bit underrated. This is a kid who scored at a 100+ pace in the WHL for two consecutive years. That’s not an easy task these days.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
If Howden keeps doing what he’s doing, he will be a core player for this team.

If the Rangers keep playing like they do, he will serve in that role behind Jack Hughes.
I love Howden but I don't think at this point he leapfrogged Chytil for that spot.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I love Howden but I don't think at this point he leapfrogged Chytil for that spot.

Didn’t mean to imply he had. Though I still have a feeling that if this team were to land a center in the next draft, there is a fairly decent chance that one or both of Andersson and Chytil eventually end up on the wings down the line.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Didn’t mean to imply he had. Though I still have a feeling that if this team were to land a center in the next draft, there is a fairly decent chance that one or both of Andersson and Chytil eventually end up on the wings down the line.
Yeah, if Howden continues to play like this for sure one of Chytil or Andersson will be a winger. Watch us picking at 3rd and drafting Podkolzin and this board go nuts.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
If Howden keeps doing what he’s doing, he will be a core player for this team.

If the Rangers keep playing like they do, he will serve in that role behind Jack Hughes.

Ignoring the realities of the lottery, I don't think they've played like the worst team in the league, especially the first two games. Not sure why the shot at the team at the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad