Player Discussion Brett Howden

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
From the eye test, over the last stretch of games it feels like Howden has rarely contributed any positive impact plays at all - which usually points to a guy thats not good enough for the NHL.

However, I think with Howden we've got a classic late bloomer. He's got the late 1st round pedigree, had strong stats in Juniors, and doesn't have an issue with the NHL pace; the missing piece is at this point is physical maturity and filling out into the 6'3 frame. Once he does, I think he will be able to play to his strengths (simplicity, board play, getting to the front of the net) with more confidence and more consistency, and will end up being an effective middle 6 role player. Unfortunately, that time is not now.

The best thing to do is be patient and allow him to mature for another 1-2 years. I think it would be a mistake to give up on him or label him a bust at this point.

Reactions: jas

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
He seems solid on the PK and 4th line plus the team is so much better than when he was on the 3rd line. I now don't mind him in the lineup.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
brett looks to be a 3/4 tweener with good overall effort and the ability to play some defensive matchup type stuff. he does everything well enough to be that bottom 6 guy on a good team.

offensively, he is void of anything close to a top 6 NHL forward.

thats just the reality of his skills

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
From the eye test, over the last stretch of games it feels like Howden has rarely contributed any positive impact plays at all - which usually points to a guy thats not good enough for the NHL.

However, I think with Howden we've got a classic late bloomer. He's got the late 1st round pedigree, had strong stats in Juniors, and doesn't have an issue with the NHL pace; the missing piece is at this point is physical maturity and filling out into the 6'3 frame. Once he does, I think he will be able to play to his strengths (simplicity, board play, getting to the front of the net) with more confidence and more consistency, and will end up being an effective middle 6 role player. Unfortunately, that time is not now.

The best thing to do is be patient and allow him to mature for another 1-2 years. I think it would be a mistake to give up on him or label him a bust at this point.
I definitely think he has a problem with the NHL pace when it comes to having the puck on his stick, or navigating the offensive zone. Offensively he's not processing things fast enough, which is why he's such a black hole in the offensive third.

As a 4C? Fine. Maybe he can develop into a good 3C. He's not there, but he's young. I still think he would be substantially better off if they had sent him to the AHL in the middle of last season.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I definitely think he should have been sent to the AHL after training camp in favor of Andersson. Howden seems to have had an exceptionally long leash. I don't see how Quinn can rip into Buchnevich (justified, absolutely) but let Howden slide. Howden has the pedigree, the size, and maybe even the raw skill, but he looks out of his element, and his ability to read the game isn't quite there at this juncture.

He looks like a guy who's been rushed and has been trying to keep his game together. He might be fine on the 3rd or 4th lines, but I think the AHL would do a lot towards giving him confidence and more development. I've felt that from the beginning of the season.

Reactions: Osminator

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
needs AHL time to improve his game for sure. He's also still young. He might be one of those late bloomers if we stick with him. Could turn into a Brandon Dubinsky type of player (needs to be more physical though)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
needs AHL time to improve his game for sure. He's also still young. He might be one of those late bloomers if we stick with him. Could turn into a Brandon Dubinsky type of player (needs to be more physical though)

There's no way Howden sees AHL time with this coach in charge.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I'm still a big Howden fan, but yeah, there's really no good reason that this kid hasn't seen any time in the AHL.

That would be a reason why Andersson was pissed . No reason they shouldn’t of flipped from 3rd to 4th line in games Atleast

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That would be a reason why Andersson was pissed . No reason they shouldn’t of flipped from 3rd to 4th line in games Atleast

He definitely deserved a shot at 3C at the very least early on but never got that opportunity. Meanwhile Howden has been mediocre for the better part of a year and there never were any demotions/scratches or benchings. It happened with Vesey under AV, and now Howden under Quinn, who literally said he gives Howden a longer leash because he shows good intentions :laugh:

Howden isn't sent down as long as Quinn is the coach. There's no point in debating it any further IMO. It's a shame, because he and HFD could really benefit from it

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The good news is that he is waiver exempt next season. An influx of wingers that could crack the roster may force him to the AHL.

Of course, he could improve next season, but he's been so bad that the AHL may be necessary next season. Hope they are not planning on him having a spot no matter what. He has not done anything to get that.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The good news is that he is waiver exempt next season. An influx of wingers that could crack the roster may force him to the AHL.

Of course, he could improve next season, but he's been so bad that the AHL may be necessary next season. Hope they are not planning on him having a spot no matter what. He has not done anything to get that.

I doubt anyone would claim him, but he loses exemption status after 12 games next season

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Bolts fan checking in on Brett Howden. How has he been so far? He's averaging around 13:11 for you this year, will he see a bump in minutes next year? I honestly haven't heard much about Howden in a while.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Bolts fan checking in on Brett Howden. How has he been so far? He's averaging around 13:11 for you this year, will he see a bump in minutes next year? I honestly haven't heard much about Howden in a while.
Not good in the slightest. He’s simply not good enough and clearly needs time in the Ahl but our coach loves him so he’s never spent a minute down there.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The team did better when his TOI was reduced and he was moved out of the center position.

When he was first moved to wing, it was definitely a noticeable difference in the positive direction. But he really hasn't shown any reason to be where he was to start the season.

He has a hot mom though, so can't complain too much...

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Not good in the slightest. He’s simply not good enough and clearly needs time in the Ahl but our coach loves him so he’s never spent a minute down there.
I see maybe he gets sent down later like Kotkaniemi did? I am assuming he would be a first liner on your AHL team. Thanks for the reply!

The team did better when his TOI was reduced and he was moved out of the center position.

When he was first moved to wing, it was definitely a noticeable difference in the positive direction. But he really hasn't shown any reason to be where he was to start the season.

He has a hot mom though, so can't complain too much...
Didn't even know he was playing wing, assumed he was just playing center. Thanks for the reply though! Maybe he will get better in the future.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

nothing special so far, has been used on the PK. Not sure how he got drafted 1st round or why we traded for him, our coach loves him like his son and refuses to send him down to AHL. I would not mind if he is traded after season ends.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
were he to be removed from this roster, i dont believe it would make a bit of difference either way.

hes a non factor.

i would prefer to promote kravtsov and have him play over howden.

Athor

Sep 25, 2019

He's been reassigned to Hartford as of yesterday, most likely for the playoffs. Will be interesting to see if he gets moved up again before the end of this year. I personally don't think he will be.

were he to be removed from this roster, i dont believe it would make a bit of difference either way.

hes a non factor.

i would prefer to promote kravtsov and have him play over howden.

Krav is nowhere near ready. He'd be even worse.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
he is absolutely atrocious at everything and I would've traded him for a 7th yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->