Brett Connolly

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China
Connolly should become the St-Louis replacement in time, top-liner, 30+ goal-scorer should be the norm, and playing with Stamkos should also get a fair share of apples. I'd say he should hit 80 pts at his peak, maybe even 90+ considering Tampa is set to be a solid team for a while.

Injuries are the only concerns, he seems somewhat freakishly unlucky in that department.

He is to my eye the prospect that is most shrouded in fallacies on HF, most likely just because people didn't like how he was chewing gum in his post-draft interview... I've never heard hockey people question his drive, personality or leadership but people on here always seem bring up such confabulations.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Connolly should become the St-Louis replacement in time, top-liner, 30+ goal-scorer should be the norm, and playing with Stamkos should also get a fair share of apples. I'd say he should hit 80 pts at his peak, maybe even 90+ considering Tampa is set to be a solid team for a while.

Injuries are the only concerns, he seems somewhat freakishly unlucky in that department.

He is to my eye the prospect that is most shrouded in fallacies on HF, most likely just because people didn't like how he was chewing gum in his post-draft interview... I've never heard hockey people question his drive, personality or leadership but people on here always seem bring up such confabulations.

Those are damn high expectations. He has a ton to prove before I would ever say he would be even a PPG guy at the NHL level.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Great player but another injury prone Connolly.

I think that B. Connolly will end up as a better player than T. Connolly because he isn't being rushed like Tim was. Even if he does only end up a 1b center, like Tim, he was still a good pick by the Lightning and at this point was the best player available at #6.

Stansfield*

I think that B. Connolly will end up as a better player than T. Connolly because he isn't being rushed like Tim was. Even if he does only end up a 1b center, like Tim, he was still a good pick by the Lightning and at this point was the best player available at #6.

Jeff Skinner at #7?

AidanPhalen13*

Jeff Skinner at #7?

At the time of the draft, wasn't Connolly rated higher then Skinner? Anyway, Connolly could easily be a P/G player on Stamkos' wing. Ya never know with his injuries though. He has great goal scoring ability, and has shown he could put up high numbers in the Dub. A good WJ would go a long way though.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Potentially a 30-30-60 player at the next level if everything goes well for him. I wouldn't worry too much about his injury concerns, but the fact that he is not impressing at the Team Canada summer camp would have me scared if I was a Tampa Bay fan. There is the possibility he could bust but people have to remember his value is at it's lowest right now. Connolly could break out like Eberle did in 09/10 given his skill level. This pasts season was a disappointment for him but was not as bad as everyone is suggesting, the kid still put up 46 goals and without injuries will most likely hit 50G this upcoming season for the Cougars.

Matt Moulson is a comparison I like to make. A guy that won't blow you away with skill or speed but can put the puck in the net when he gets a chance.

Reactions: Fixxer

hdtrax

It's hard to say with him, IMO. Injuries are a concern (though freakish, as a previous poster articulated) and consistency is another area that needs work. But he's far from a PPG-shoe in/St. Louis replacement. He doesn't play the same style as Marty and is more likely a really solid 1B or 2A liner.

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China
Those are damn high expectations. He has a ton to prove before I would ever say he would be even a PPG guy at the NHL level.

I won't deny these are high expectations, but I also think Tampa seems to be handling his development very well and the situation is pretty good for him there. We'll see I guess...

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Potentially a 30-30-60 player at the next level if everything goes well for him. I wouldn't worry too much about his injury concerns, but the fact that he is not impressing at the Team Canada summer camp would have me scared if I was a Tampa Bay fan. There is the possibility he could bust but people have to remember his value is at it's lowest right now. Connolly could break out like Eberle did in 09/10 given his skill level. This pasts season was a disappointment for him but was not as bad as everyone is suggesting, the kid still put up 46 goals and without injuries will most likely hit 50G this upcoming season for the Cougars.

Matt Moulson is a comparison I like to make. A guy that won't blow you away with skill or speed but can put the puck in the net when he gets a chance.

How was last season a disappointment for Connolly? Did you see even 1 game live of Connolly's?

The guy basically played a full season of hockey after a injury shortened season of only 16 games the year prior. Captain of his junior team. He made the Canadian World Junior team as an 18 yr old, which is an accomplishment considering most guys do it at 19, if at all as making Team Canada is very difficult compared to other countries. He scored 46 goals in 59 games and would have had 50 if not for time missed at the WJC. The kid has size, skill, hands and can skate. He has scored more hilite reel goals in PG in the last 3 years than everyone else combined.

What more would you like?

I am one who thinks he has a very good chance to make the Lightning this season and its a strong possibility that he wont be back in the WHL.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I won't deny these are high expectations, but I also think Tampa seems to be handling his development very well and the situation is pretty good for him there. We'll see I guess...

I agree that the team will help him and the fact that they aren't rushing him will help him. But even if things go perfect, I don't think he will be much more than a point per game. The 30-40 goals I could see though.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
How do Lightning fans feel about him? What is he projected to do when he hits his prime? 1st line? 2nd line? How many points at his peak? Just curious on what he's about.
We just voted Connolly our top prospect on our board. I think everyone is still wary of his injury problems, but there is optimism that this will be a thing of the past if he keeps working and training hard like he has. There are definitely some who still question picking Connolly 6th overall because of his injuries and the year Fowler and Skinner had in the NHL this season but hopefully he pays off in the long run here.

He's projected to be a first line forward. Not sure what kind of points he'll put up but I think he could be a 30 goal, 30-40 assists guy.

I agree that the idea is to have him one day replace St. Louis on the first line to play with Stamkos and then hopefully these 2 young forwards stay together for a long time.
Yeah there was a lot of talk about the face he put on at the draft, but I think he was so tired from all the questioning over his health that he couldn't enjoy the moment and was more relieved that the whole thing was over. We were able to see a completely different fun regular teenager side to him at our past development camp. It looked like he had a lot of fun spending time with our other prospects and even got a couple of them to join him on twitter.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
I think he falls a bit short of his hype. No real reason, just call it a gut feeling. I don't think he'll offer much more at the NHL level than 2nd line duties/ 50-55points....and minimal (if any) pk time.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

This was my impression of him. I saw him play in Travers City MI and I can't ever remember seeing him and being like "man thats some skillz" but when ever there was an attack on the net he was always right in the mix and in position to contribute. He has a lanky reach that I think he uses well to get by people, its kinda uncoordinated and sloopy but it worked. He also caused a bunch of turnovers in the neutral zone that he helped turn into a transition rush. I never saw the pure goal scorer I heard about but it was just the one time. His stats show someone that knows how to contribute offensively and its uncanny but seeing his style of play you wouldn't think huge point producer but then he puts them up anyway. How this will translate into the NHL is anyone's guess but I do hear the team seems pleased with his development.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Connolly is progressing very well and it's the type of development NHL teams want to see. Not every prospect can make the immediate jump to the NHL (Skinner, Fowler, Stamkos, etc.) especially those players who have battled the injury bug. The biggest knock on Connolly is his ability to stay healthy and the Lightning are taking the proper route with his development. At the time of the 2009 NHL Draft, Brett Connolly was considered to be a top 5 (maybe even Top 3) talent but it was his injury status that scared teams off. Connolly just needs to keep playing his style of game sniping goals home.

I am interested to see how he eventually does when he makes the jump to the AHL (next year). He hasn't really had that great of a supporting cast in Prince George and that's likely reflected in his assist totals. However, the fact that he scored 46 goals in the WHL is very promising.

As for his upside, I would say that Connolly's ultimate upside is about 85 points. Obviously Connolly isn't going to hit that every year and that number is if everything goes perfect in his career year. As an NHLer I would expect Brett to score between 35-40 goals and finish around 70 points in his prime.

Remember that it's not easy to crack those numbers so 70 points is a good achievement. Only 9 players cleared 80 points last season while 24 cleared 70.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site

Connolly is currently in the best shape of his life and is up to 6'3 and 205lbs.

Should be an interesting camp....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad