Brent Sopel hates the Hurricanes' home win celebrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
So, fans shouldn't enjoy a losing team. But also when fans stop showing up to games because the team has been losing AKA not making the playoffs for almost an impossibly long amount of time, they aren't a real hockey market. Which one is it? I don't think you even know what you're trying to argue.

I have no issue with the fans celebrating the team wins, that's what fans are for...

But I have an issue with the team putting gongshow after the games to distract the fans from losing, and the fas buying into that...

In my oppinion, and feel free to dissagree, the fact that the fans are coming to the game to see the post game atticks doesn't make them into a "real hockey market"...

What's next? Buy a Justin Bieber concert ticket and get 4 free tickets to the hockey game? "our team sold out the last xxx games, what a great organisation"..

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Running up the score and taunting a bench or celebrating in front of a bench is akin to the post-game celebration.
img-1205723-f.jpg

subRANGERS-jumbo.jpg

These are just a couple examples of teams celebrating wins

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don’t mind a lot of them but the overly orchestrated ones like Duck Duck Goose and especially the hole run celebration are way over the top.

Reactions: shello

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I have no issue with the fans celebrating the team wins, that's what fans are for...

But I have an issue with the team putting gongshow after the games to distract the fans from losing, and the fas buying into that...

In my oppinion, and feel free to dissagree, the fact that the fans are coming to the game to see the post game atticks doesn't make them into a "real hockey market"...
I don't think a celebration that occurs only after a victory would distract fans from losing but that's just me.

Fans showing up hoping their team will win no longer makes a market a "real" hockey market? Well damn, just shut down the NHL. I doubt fans are going just to see the Storm Surge. I would bet that it adds to the experience, though.

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017

You know they only celebrate after WINNING, right? How is it a 'distraction from losing'?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Good grief. Enough already! THAT IS FACTUALLY NOT TRUE.

You do not get to state something untrue then argue against it and conclude we are not "a real hockey market." Keep trying. For the 3rd time - go back and read. You are doing the exact same thing that I have repeatedly argued against.

Go enjoy your day, go shovel snow or something, but stop this nonsense.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI

What's next? Buy a Justin Bieber concert ticket and get 4 free tickets to the hockey game? "our team sold out the last xxx games, what a great organisation"..
Feel free to keep Bieber north of the border. Besides the NHL seal by our team, what makes us a real hockey market?

GettyImages-71308126.0.jpg

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
1) You begin your reply by ridiculing my comment, then you ask where is the ridicule in the Canes' post-win celebration...I guess common sense as to what constitutes dismissive behaviour in hockey is a completely unknown concept to you? Running up the score and taunting a bench or celebrating in front of a bench is akin to the post-game celebration. Sure, a team can do it. That type of behavior has typically been held in contempt by hockey traditionalists. Perhaps now, it's also entirely acceptable?

2)Forgive me. There hasn't been constant speculation that Carolina amongst a couple of other teams in the league isn't an organization primed for relocation? That increase in attendance...The one that still can't average 14,000 fans per game? That one? As for "fan interaction"...I'm a Leafs fan, as to what "fan interaction" means concretely at a hockey game apart from attendance and applause, I'm at a loss. Fan interaction...Is that some new fandangled euphemism for audience dancing after a win along with your NHL hockey club that has to double as an improv troop in order to sustain your loyalty and interest? Mea culpa.

3) When a team celebrates The Cup, it's an entirely different celebration. For one, it's not contrived. It doesn't seek to equivocate winning the toughest trophy in team sports to win, with a talent show. It is an authentic, plainly understood, time-honored tradition that arose naturally and with respect for the other team's efforts. It's dignified. It's not frivolous. There's an obvious distinction between those two types of celebration.

As for justifying it because it involves the fans...It's a non-sequitur for me. The "entertainment" is the sport. If the realities are such that certain markets need a glowing puck, or wacky fan involved celebrations at the end of a game, or anthems performed in rap or interpretive dance, I view that as excessive and obscure to what I've come to understand the game of hockey to entail. And obviously, others who understand the game and it's traditions see the same cause for criticism.

CC from 2019:

When fans elect to throw hats on the ice to celebrate their team's goals, that's not the same as an organization needing to find ways to otherwise entertain it's nontraditional hockey market paying public by having it's team celebrate as knocked down bowling pins or lightning struck frost giants in order to incentivize the fans' return to the arena for the next home game.

Cringeworthy celebrations by one struggling franchise in the NHL isn't the metric by which traditional hockey fans are worried that the Stanley Cup is all of a sudden going to be named The Caitlyn Jenner Cup. This isn't a social issue within hockey. It's a minor irritant that deserves address given it's plainly outlier nature. It took up the amount of time it should have on Coach's Corner and it's garnered the amount of time due to it on social media.

Athletes are firstly, athletes. Sport entertains, but sport isn't theatre. Theatricality is contrived. Entertainment as is plainly understood is artificial. When sport becomes indivisible with entertainment, we typically call it professional wrestling because it's artificial in it's outcome. It's genuine in it's artificiality, but it doesn't exclude manipulating a contrived outcome the way an authentic sport like hockey requires.

The purpose of hockey is to win hockey games. The entertainment of hockey is found in the authentic competition. I think what Don Cherry and others have honed in on is the artificiality with which secondary entertainment measures are suddenly required in order to draw interest to the primary utility of the sport of hockey played at it's highest level.

You said: "No team should be feeling ridiculed because it is completely detached from who they are playing. Ridiculing would be Elias Lindholm's reaction after winning in Carolina."

Or perhaps Lindholm is simply reciprocating in kind? That's the plain inference from many who watched him mock Carolina's new "tradition". If the opposing team feels that it's ridicule then that's their problem, you say? You mean like running up a score and having a player celebrate in an excessive fashion? I'd say no...It's not the opposing team's problem. It's the club or player who has been informed about customary hockey norms who chooses to impose his/their singular abstract behavior on to the opposition with an unreasonable expectation that they must accommodate him.

"What would be the motivation for a team that is already successful in terms of marketing? Why would they try a new strategy to gain new fans if they already have a strong market? The Carolina Hurricanes are averaging higher crowds since the 2013-14 season, so I dare say that it is helping engage their market."

Carolina has a strong market? Short of 14,000 fans on average is a strong market? Engaging their market and demonstrating increased attendance is one thing. Still not being able to fill an arena is another. By all means, provide the top five and the bottom five attendance figures (percentage) to prove your point. Am I wrong in saying that Carolina is a bottom five club with respect to attendance ? Optimism and hope aside, am I missing something from the way in which you're using the word "strong"?

Oh I know full well I was ridiculing your comment, being nothing more than anti southern market rambling, with a bunch of meaningless filler like a college student trying to reach a word count on his essay.

And you still failed to explain HOW the celebration ridicules the other team, being that they're in the dressing room after the game and aren't involved in any way. Let alone trying to make a connection to running up the score, which directly involves the other team while the game is still ongoing. There's zero common ground between the two, but nice straw man.

There's never been a single shread of actual evidence of the team moving, just "speculation" from people like you who hate the fact a team exists in Carolina. As far as attendance goes, tell me all about "real markets" like Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc and how their attendance definitely didn't drop off badly through years of losing hockey like the Canes have endured. Or how Ottawa isn't struggling with a terrible, cheap owner who blames the fans, like the Canes also endured. No, there must be specific problems with Carolina as a market then. It's not like Lemieux had to step up to buy part of a "true" team to keep it going, and that the NHL still had to step in to stop them from getting moved.

If the "entertainment is the sport" as you say, then why is there music between whistles? Or t shirt cannons, or shows in the intermission, or noise meters? I'm sure you're against all of those as well, since the game being played should be the only thing to matter. Everyone should sit in silence for 2.5 hours to take in the majesty of sport. Sure

Your anti southern bias is painfully obvious.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015

Go ahead and have an issue with that. Just understand it's completely irrelevant to the thread you're commenting in, since it only happens after games they WIN.

Not to mention fans are attending because the team is finally worth watching instead of being a dumpster fire that's out of the playoff race by Christmas, but whatever.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Of course they can have it both ways because they're talking about the Canes. Horribly mismanaged for a decade by ownership and management, and somehow that's justification on why Raleigh is a failed market. Don't make the playoffs for 10 years, and somehow that is justification that Raleigh is a failed market. Draft horribly and whiff on multiple first round picks, and that is justification Raleigh is a failed market. Attendance plummets after averaging more than 15k for the first 4 or 5 years of the drought while management continues to dig the hole deeper while jacking up the price of tickets, parking, and concessions, and that is justification Raleigh is a failed market. Franchise is purchased by a billionaire who makes it unequivocally clear the team isn't moving, and that is justification Raleigh is a failed market. New owner fires the head coach and GM, replaces GM with a committee and head coach with a first timer, and that is justification Raleigh is a failed market. Team decides to start having fun celebrations after games, and that is justification Raleigh is a failed market. Attendance goes back up as the team starts winning, and somehow this is justification Raleigh is a failed market.

It really doesn't matter with these people. They're going to use whatever reasoning they want to drag Raleigh to suit their means. They hate that the NHL exists here. They've hated it for the last 20 years and they'll continue to hate it. Because it doesn't make their sport the northern special anymore. They want it exclusive to them, and seeing it here challenges that to the core, so we get crap like this.

this post should be framed and hung in f=26 and reposted every time the canes are on the main board

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
You are missquoting me intentionally... There is a huge difference between fans enjoying the team and the fans enjoying a loosing organisation...

Wow - it just doesn't stop. :help:

are you saying fans can only enjoy a winning team?! really? :facepalm:

are.... you going to teach people how to be better fans?... be fans that you approve of?.... please tell us!! don't keep this to yourself!

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Wow - it just doesn't stop. :help:

are you saying fans can only enjoy a winning team?! really? :facepalm:

are.... you going to teach people how to be better fans?... be fans that you approve of?.... please tell us!! don't keep this to yourself!
And to make things better, a quick search of his history shows he's an Oilers fan.

:skeptic:

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I have absolutely zero issues with how the Canes celebrate! The fans get a kick out of it and it’s always done in good taste also it acknowledges the motto that “hockey should be fun” even at the professional level. The league must be fine with it or they would have shut them down by now just like how Therrien didn’t like Subban and Price low 5 celebration. Bunch of Therrien’s on here not liking the Canes celebrations lol

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
The most popular sport in the USA, the NFL, is full of staged celebrations. These go on during the course of the game, not when other teams have left the playing field. Seems to be working for them. But.....Don freaking Cherry and all.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Your numerous other replies on this topic suggest you feel otherwise

What losing? We've lost a total of 5 games in two months

At least they don't tank on purpose every year, racking up #1 picks for years on end and still somehow manage to suck. And I mean really suck, not the 18th to 24th type place finishes they've been having.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The most popular sport in the USA, the NFL, is full of staged celebrations. These go on during the course of the game, not when other teams have left the playing field. Seems to be working for them. But.....Don freaking Cherry and all.

Any examples of a major NA sports team staying out after the game to lead the crowd in a silly dance? Celebrating goals/TDs/runs is something that happens in the moment. The only thing close to the clown show I can think of is Hakas, and those are monumentally cooler and done before the games for intimidation and to pump themselves up.

Reactions: DuckyChuck

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Any examples of a major NA sports team staying out after the game to lead the crowd in a silly dance? Celebrating goals/TDs/runs is something that happens in the moment. The only thing close to the clown show I can think of is Hakas, and those are monumentally cooler and done before the games for intimidation and to pump themselves up.
I don't know how much NFL football you watch, but the majority of touchdowns result is some type of scripted celly performed in the end zone. Think Randy Moss dropping his drawers (simulated) and taking a dump on the goalpost. Think of guys hiding pens in their socks and simulating autograph signings. So, tell me, which is worse?
And Don Cherry is a buffoon. The drunken uncle everyone loves until he has one too many.

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
Not a great example because the gaudiness of the NFL is one of its worst aspects. Football itself isn't terrible but the NFL is an actual joke of a spectator sport organization. Sure, though. Popularity is the only thing that matters!

Reactions: Leafidelity

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not a great example because the gaudiness of the NFL is one of its worst aspects. Football itself isn't terrible but the NFL is an actual joke of a spectator sport organization. Sure, though. Popularity is the only thing that matters!
So wait.

Making the league more popular is now a bad thing?

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Popularity is what matters to the owners, and in turn, players.
My point is that the CAnes celly isn't hurting anyone. It isn't done to antagonize their opponents. It not done in bad taste. If anything, its working. There is a buzz around this team. People are attending and relating with the teams players. Canes don't have the luxury of northern teams in traditional markets having more hockey fans. They need to cultivate fans and build a bond with the team. Dundon is doing that and if they can win, people will show.

Yeti of the Flow

Jun 9, 2011
Boston
So wait.

Making the league more popular is now a bad thing?
Did anyone claim that? There's no reason to assume the NFL's popularity is because of their "showmanship".
Popularity is what matters to the owners, and in turn, players.
My point is that the CAnes celly isn't hurting anyone. It isn't done to antagonize their opponents. It not done in bad taste. If anything, its working. There is a buzz around this team. People are attending and relating with the teams players. Canes don't have the luxury of northern teams in traditional markets having more hockey fans. They need to cultivate fans and build a bond with the team. Dundon is doing that and if they can win, people will show.
I'm not saying it's hurting anyone. I'm saying it's tacky and weird. It's a really lame thing to do. It's hiring a clown for a 10-year-old's birthday. Sure they can do whatever they want, but people are 100% allowed to criticize how stupid it is.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
You are missquoting me intentionally... There is a huge difference between fans enjoying the team and the fans enjoying a loosing organisation...

Short question for you: do you know which is the longest postseason appearence drought in NHL?

So... how about Edmonton and Toronto?

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
The term "owning' has completely lost it's meaning. Short hand for "I like this opinion. It's better than the one I don't like." Merit or reasoning has nothing to do with Haydar's exchange with a couple of people on the subject.

Take the comparison between North American hockey culture/fans and European hockey culture/fans. He castigates North American hockey culture and celebrates an element of European hockey culture. And he does so without qualifying that different sporting cultures arise from...different cultures. Trying to emulate European football crowds has rarely been successful. And when it approaches that success, it's still missing the cultural glue that distinguishes a football crowd from Liverpool with a football crowd in DC.

For a European market, Haydar's right. It's exciting to see fan participation at the prompting of the club they support. It looks odd in North America. It looks odd in the way someone from Jamaica might look bowing in Japan. The Japanese are surgically precise about any number of customs, and without constant practice and immersion in them, foreigners have a mighty tough time selling Japanese authenticity to the Japanese.

What Don Cherry said is entirely in line with hockey culture as it's always been defined in Canada. There's an honour code. And it carries over game to game and sometimes from season to season. Ridicule and grandstanding, used to have consequences.

Haydar, or anyone else saying "Get over it." is missing the point. He can't on one hand talk about the appeal of post-game celebrations as being entertaining and community building and something in line with changing times and on the other ignore the fact that the gimmick isn't necessary in Toronto, Detroit, Chicago or Boston or Nashville. It's necessary - as he notes - in order to foster a sense of community. He's not paying attention to the finer point. It hasn't caught on in any other market except the one that's dying a slow death. Moreover, he actual acknowledges that it (the celebration post-victory) isn't traditional. That's relevant because his germane response to that is, "So what.".

Well the so what exception is the nature of the game. It's always been reciprocal. It's always been retributive. Which is precisely what Andre Deveaux implies in his criticism. In "entertaining" the Canes' fanbase, there is an inherent element of demonstrating that the win was effortless. That the opponent, similarly, merely entertainment. All of that isn't simply non-traditional against the backdrop of North American professional hockey, it's bordering on the absurd.

Consider that Darren Haydar refers to himself in the collective of NHLers as being entertainers. He of 23 games and 8 points. Read the tone of his reply to Deveaux. It's dismissive and arrogant. Deveaux played 31 games incidentally.

Don Cherry won the Adams and is as quintessential a hockey man as the game has ever had. The only thing Haydar is owning, is a seat beside Rob Schremp on this week's departing ship of irrelevant former NHLers who have too much confidence and about as much sense online as their careers on ice demonstrated.
Your last paragraph cracks me up because you just shot yourself down. Haydar had a pretty fantastic career on the ice. Unfortunately he was never given a real chance in the NHL due to his size, but was a massive success in every other league he played in. Yet you champion Andre Deveaux, a goon who had a couple of decent AHL seasons.Using your logic about why Haydar doesn’t matter, than your opinion is even less valuable since you had no career on ice.

Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->