Value of: Brent Seabrook

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
6.875 x 5.....

thats pretty rough. names like okposo,turris,ladd and little come to mind as guys making 5.5-6 with 4-5 years left

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Five more years left and a full NMC to boot. Woof, this is not happening. He's a BC native so maybe he'll accept to go to Seattle but before that I can't see him getting moved anywhere.

He can accept sure, but why would seattle take him unless chicago significantly adds to do so?

to take clarkson and select william karlsson columbus had to give up a 1st and 2nd
minny gave up tuch for vegas to take haula
florida gave up rielly smith for vegas to take marchessault

judging by those deals it would have to be something like this

Chicago trades a 2021 1st rd pick, 2021 2nd rd pick and Alex Nylander for seattle to take seabrook

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
He can accept sure, but why would seattle take him unless chicago significantly adds to do so?

to take clarkson and select william karlsson columbus had to give up a 1st and 2nd

Chicago trades a 2021 1st rd pick, 2021 2nd rd pick and Alex Nylander for seattle to take seabrook

You said it. And keep in mind at the time of the expansion draft Seabrook will only have three more years left on his contract and the cap will be much higher. You don't need to sell the farm to move him at that point.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Yes, but he can waive it if he wants. It's up to him though.
I guess he’s from close to Seattle and may waive his nmc, but then you have to wonder why Seattle would select him in the draft. It would cost whichever team acquired him at least a first round pick to have Seattle take him. So that would mean it would cost Chicago more than a first to send him off.

Jamie Winston

Jul 13, 2019
You're joking, right? Cause I'd keep Lucic easily
Lucic is a better contract, sure as of right now seabs is probably the better player. The difference of contact isn’t worth two first round picks lol. Maybe a conditional 1st and two seconds.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Seabrook is NOT currently on the market. They are not in a cap crunch and in addition to the cap going up they gain about 5 mill in cap space after the season when Crawford's deal is up and they don't have 2 starter salaries to pay.
What gets me here is people writing that even if he waives Seattle won't take him. Seattle taking him isn't important. The ability to protect someone else is.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Seabrook is NOT currently on the market. They are not in a cap crunch and in addition to the cap going up they gain about 5 mill in cap space after the season when Crawford's deal is up and they don't have 2 starter salaries to pay.
What gets me here is people writing that even if he waives Seattle won't take him. Seattle taking him isn't important. The ability to protect someone else is.

excellent post and the bold is the key for me.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
That makes sense...but the question I have is if he waives for a trade, could that remove the NMC as well? I know some trades in the past have caused those NMC or NTC to no longer be in place. A team willing to take on Seabrook this offseason if it removes that NMC to allow for that ability to protect someone else would be pretty valuable. Maybe a team like DET would take him on since they have about 8.5M coming off the books from Mike Green and Trevor Daley.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
That makes sense...but the question I have is if he waives for a trade, could that remove the NMC as well? I know some trades in the past have caused those NMC or NTC to no longer be in place. A team willing to take on Seabrook this offseason if it removes that NMC to allow for that ability to protect someone else would be pretty valuable. Maybe a team like DET would take him on since they have about 8.5M coming off the books from Mike Green and Trevor Daley.
Obviously none of us is "in the room" but even if he waives to be eligible for the expansion draft giving the Hawks the ability to protect someone else I see no scenario where the Hawks then screw him over.
If he is at some point traded after that it will still be on his terms.

If anyone actually watches the games, he really isn't playing poorly. He's a mid level 2nd pair type right now and for sure will be a 3rd pair guy in a few years but posters are exaggerating claiming he is not an NHL player. The problem right now is he is still being used in many top level shut down roles. ... That's not him anymore.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Obviously none of us is "in the room" but even if he waives to be eligible for the expansion draft giving the Hawks the ability to protect someone else I see no scenario where the Hawks then screw him over.
If he is at some point traded after that it will still be on his terms.

If anyone actually watches the games, he really isn't playing poorly. He's a mid level 2nd pair type right now and for sure will be a 3rd pair guy in a few years but posters are exaggerating claiming he is not an NHL player. The problem right now is he is still being used in many top level shut down roles. ... That's not him anymore.
There is no reason for him to waive his NMC. Guy is 34. Been on the hawks since he turned 20 back in 2005. Spent ages 16-20 Lethbridge. In BC before that. So, his adult life is in Chicago.

What is going to make him want to leave, especially now that the Hawks have this infusion of younger talent in D-Cat, Strome, Nylander up front and some young Dmen in the pipeline?

He could certainly do the Hawks a solid by waiving his NMC, but it would be a handshake deal for the ED only. In fact, he may need to see the Hawks send a draft pick to prove that they have a side deal with Seattle before he wavies his NMC.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I bet buy out is the only out at this point
You realize that a buyout doesn’t save much cap space. Hawks would need to eat the roughly $7 mill more in cash that they paid him over the first 4 years of his contract followed by the $12 million remaining in signing bonus money. He only has $8.5 mill in salary left.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il

Yah, I'm sure that'll happen.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
No way Yzerman touches Seabrook without a ridiculous overpay, like 2 1sts + good prospect + decent young roster player + maybe some retention, making it a moot point as Bowman likely wouldn't do that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You realize that a buyout doesn’t save much cap space. Hawks would need to eat the roughly $7 mill more in cash that they paid him over the first 4 years of his contract followed by the $12 million remaining in signing bonus money. He only has $8.5 mill in salary left.
The buyout is actually worse than just riding out the contract. If they really wanted to, in a couple years they could trade him, the acquiring team buys him out and then they bring him back on a 1-year, cheap deal.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Whether or not a NMC remains in place after a trade depends on whether the acquiring team agrees to honor it. Of course if they say they're not going to honor it, the player likely refuses to waive in the first place. The other way it disappears for good is if a player gets traded prior to the NMC kicking in and the new team declines to honor it (like Subban)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->