Brent Krahn is on Fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
In his last 5 starts Brent Krahn now has 4 wins, all 4 of those wins came as a result of a shutout. I beleive he faced 30+ shots in all of them as well.

Tonight he beat the Hartford Wolfpack after stopping 30 shots in regulation and all 13 shots he faced in a shootout. :amazed:

GorillazXL

Jun 21, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Yeah, he looked really good against the rookie Oilers earlier this season... Kept the Flames in for a comeback. Hope he does well, I know the past few year hasn't been so smooth for the first rounder.

GXL

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Ryderama said:
wow

finally, this guy is starting to show why he was selected so early in the draft...

It's mostly because he's finally healthy. All throughout his junior career, Krahn battled serious injuries. He finally began getting his game back last year, but now hes putting it together consistently. The Flames realize that he is a long term project and they just have to continue to be patient with him. It will pay off, I've always had faith in Krahn.

SedinFan*

Didn't he have knee injuries over the last year or so?

Krahn's a very similar goaltender to Canucks prospect Alex Auld. Both play the same style, and both should be quality goaltenders in the NHL, in my mind.

Velouria

Sep 23, 2004
Unfortunately the guy is a total moron, he thinks he is Gods gift to the world and he's really not much to shout about. Yes I am am excited as a Flames fan that he is finally doing well, hopefully we can trade him to another team because nobody in Calgary wants him in the locker room. Same reason Oliwa is no longer here.

SedinFan*

Velouria said:
Unfortunately the guy is a total moron, he thinks he is Gods gift to the world and he's really not much to shout about. Yes I am am excited as a Flames fan that he is finally doing well, hopefully we can trade him to another team because nobody in Calgary wants him in the locker room. Same reason Oliwa is no longer here.

Krahn's got attitude problems?

The reason Oliwa wasn't re-signed was because they didn't exactly need a goon that couldn't skate, when they already got Chris Simon (who they re-signed), who can score, somewhat skate, and is one tough customer. Oliwa was expendable.

Velouria

Sep 23, 2004
Yes of course Oliwa was expendable but it is a well known fact that he is not a very well liked teammate. Everywhere he goes, he causes problems in the locker room.

Krahn is much the same - look at the way the Hitmen basically gave him to Seattle because they were tired of dealing with him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
didn't krahn have some weight problems or something after he was drafted too?

i was in calgary at the time (i think...heh) and remember the hype about him, then he kinda dropped off the radar for awhile

anyways, last nights game was a complete goalie showcase, almost a shame one of them had to lose. valliquette stopped 40 shots in regulation, and of course allowed 1 shot out of like 13 in the shootout. pretty amazing overall for both goalies

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Velouria said:
Yes of course Oliwa was expendable but it is a well known fact that he is not a very well liked teammate. Everywhere he goes, he causes problems in the locker room.

Krahn is much the same - look at the way the Hitmen basically gave him to Seattle because they were tired of dealing with him.

The Hitmen "gave" him to Seattle because he was hurt and the overage deadline was approaching. The Hitmen either had to keep him and cut another 20 year old with the possibility Krahn wouldn't play for the rest of the year. They played it safe and moved Krahn instead.

the-rasta-masta

Jul 14, 2002
calgary
Visit site
Velouria said:

I'd like to see where you get this from. There were absolutely no problems in Calgary last year with Oliwa. In fact, I'd say he helped the team, every game he fought in the Flames played better. He was always sticking up for teamates, I remember when he played on a line with the young Kobasew and Lombardi, the next day in the paper both of them were singing Oliwa's praise. I remember Oliwa saying "Don't worry, nobody's gonna hurt you guys tonight." to Kobasew and Lombardi, and how is that not sticking up for teamates.

Sec of Partying Down

Mar 20, 2003
Moscow, Idaho
Visit site
Velouria said:

:help:
What are you talking about? When Oliwa played the Flames had a much better record that when he didn't. There is no reason to suspect he caused any problems in the locker room.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Velouria said:

Oliwa's family still lived in New Jersey which is the main reason that he signed back with the Devils. I never heard anything about him being an unliked teammate. In fact, I think he was one of the better liked ones.

He was injured, talking up a 20 year old spot, they cut him because they weren't sure if he would play a game for the rest of teh season. Gerry Festa was playing well so they made the smart move. Tey were "tired" of dealing with him because it was his second big injury in 2 years and missed a huge amount of playing time.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
I have heard the Krahn has atttitude porblems before as well. I've had friends who grew up playing hockey with him and at the time he had a huge ego problem. I am not sure how it is right now but a couple of years ago it was bad. Hopefully good coachign can correct this.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
I have heard the Krahn has atttitude porblems before as well. I've had friends who grew up playing hockey with him and at the time he had a huge ego problem. I am not sure how it is right now but a couple of years ago it was bad. Hopefully good coachign can correct this.

I want my starting goalie to have ego problems. Look at Patrick Roy, one of the biggest ego's in hockey, but arguably the best goalie ever. Rick Dipietro's ego is the size of a balloon, yet hes one of the better young goalies in the NHL.

I don't want my goalie folding under the pressure because he doesn't have confidence in himself. I want someone who thinks he's the best, night in and night out.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Brock said:
I want my starting goalie to have ego problems. Look at Patrick Roy, one of the biggest ego's in hockey, but arguably the best goalie ever. Rick Dipietro's ego is the size of a balloon, yet hes one of the better young goalies in the NHL.

I don't want my goalie folding under the pressure because he doesn't have confidence in himself. I want someone who thinks he's the best, night in and night out.

No it was more of an ego problem that made him look down upon others. More of an attitude that I am the bets of the team and should be terated that way. I agree that you want your starting goalie to have a ton of confidence but there is a line between being confident and being arrogant about it.

Vinland

Dec 3, 2004
King of Vinland
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
No it was more of an ego problem that made him look down upon others. More of an attitude that I am the bets of the team and should be terated that way. I agree that you want your starting goalie to have a ton of confidence but there is a line between being confident and being arrogant about it.

He was a 1st rounder so likely he was the best player on your friends team. I have met him a number of times and I think the knee issues humbled him quite a bit.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Vinland said:
He was a 1st rounder so likely he was the best player on your friends team. I have met him a number of times and I think the knee issues humbled him quite a bit.
Definetaly, I would think coming to training camp and playing against Kiprusoff would bring him down a bit, Calgary doesn't exactly NEED him to pan out, it would be nice, but not completely necessary. I don't think attitude will be a problem.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Roughneck said:
Oliwa's family still lived in New Jersey which is the main reason that he signed back with the Devils. I never heard anything about him being an unliked teammate. In fact, I think he was one of the better liked ones.

Oliwa had problems with the Blue Jackets.

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
kruezer said:
Didn't he and Odelein get in a parking lot scuffle? Or is that just a rumour?

I don't remember if it was Odelein, but it was the basis for him being traded to I think Pittsburgh. His first game back against CBJ there was a line brawl. That doesn't make him a bad teammate, he was just in a bad situation.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Vinland said:

I sure hope it has cause it will make him that much better and willing to learn and be coachable.

Phanuthier*

I've heard from a few Hitman fans (take that for what its worth) that Krahn has a huge attitude problem. I've also heard from alot from the media and read alot from reports that Krahn is also an incredibly positive person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad