Value of: Brent burns next contract

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I don't think his next season is going to matter for his contract, as I am confident Doug Wilson will get an extension done this summer. No way he wants a season-long Stamkos-like distraction hanging over the team in a year when we're all-in on another Cup run while Thornton's window is still open. They're already working on a deal, and I expect it to be done by the start of training camp.

I was referencing to if he made it to free agency.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Burns is already 32, so imo he's either taking a more team friendly 6-6.5M for 6 years or he'll take 7.5-8 for 4 years.

Thorburnt

Jul 16, 2015
MTS Centre
look at Byfuglien's recent extension, he got 7.6M x 5. Buff signed a little younger and "reportedly" took a hometown discount, but I would expect a very similar contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It'll probably be 5 years, 40 million with a movement clause that opens up the further into the deal you get.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I doubt he signs for more than 5 years...Wilson just doesn't give out long deals. Unfortunately, that'll likely mean that the price will go up. I predict either 4yr/32 or 5yr/37.5M

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
If I'm the Sharks, I'd give him more money for less term. He's going to slow down soon.

Something like 4 years, $32 million, if he'd accept that term.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If I'm the Sharks, I'd give him more money for less term. He's going to slow down soon.

Something like 4 years, $32 million, if he'd accept that term.

I think our window is the next two years (only Burns and Donskoi will need raises), and Thornton and Patty may only be players for one more. I'd rather reduce the cost on Burns by going longer, allowing us to keep our crazy depth.

Last edited:

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Until 2 years ago Burns was a nice player but not elite; he puts points up but still makes defensive mistakes that lead to goals. He will be 32 before he is a UFA and people are talking max years and huge sums of money. Trust me when I say he will never be worth that money at the end of the deal; I would say 4 years/$32 million maybe 5 years $35m something like that.

Keep in mind it's always the offensive skills that go first; were he a better defender and you knew he could be elite when he was 38, 39, 40 then maybe max years but anyone giving out that kind of term will be disappointed by year 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->