Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
images

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Doug Wilson basically never ever ever gives out contracts of more than 6 years. IIRC he's done it one time in the entire 13 years of his tenure here. For Burns, though, he might make an exception.

I'd be happy at anything at 8.5m AAV or less. I am guessing they'll use Hedman as something of a comparable as well. So, if I HAD to pick a number, I'm guessing he'll come in at 8m AAV for 6 or 7 years. And he'll be worth it. I'm 95% sure we'll get him signed to an extension before the start of next season. No way the team woudl wan tto go into the year next year with a Stamkos-like free agency situation hanging over the team the entire season and being a distraction.

If his season this upcoming year is similar to the one he had last year and he hit UFA, I can't even begin to imagine the size of the money bin people would throw at him. Probably use Subban's AAV as a starting point and go up from there.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Doug Wilson basically never ever ever gives out contracts of more than 6 years. IIRC he's done it one time in the entire 13 years of his tenure here. For Burns, though, he might make an exception.

I'd be happy at anything at 8.5m AAV or less. I am guessing they'll use Hedman as something of a comparable as well. So, if I HAD to pick a number, I'm guessing he'll come in at 8m AAV for 6 or 7 years. And he'll be worth it.

If his season this upcoming year is similar to the one he had last year and he hit UFA, I can't even begin to imagine the size of the money bin people would throw at him. Probably use Subban's AAV as a starting point and go up from there.

Why would he compare himself to Hedman when he's a UFA and Hedman is a RFA?

Burns will get 9.5 (more then SUbban due to the fact the cap went up) for 6-7years IMO

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Burns will get 9.5 (more then SUbban due to the fact the cap went up) for 6-7years IMO

He won't get that much. If he does, we trade him for the best offer.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

Subban was also 25 when he signed his deal, Burns is 31, and will be 32 when the deal kicks in. That's going to hold the price down, I think, and will almost certainly keep it from being an 8 year deal. I don't doubt for 1 second he'd get 9.5 on the free agency market. But by all accounts he loves it here, and he's been embraced big time by the fans. So, I think he'll take a home town discount and come in at that 8-8.5m AAV number so that the team can keep adding good pieces around him.

So yeah, I think 8m AAV, 6 year term is pretty damn close to what they'll actually come in at.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

He won't get that from the Sharks. If it comes to that we'll trade him.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
7 mil per over 6 years, full NMC. Will be extended before the next season starts.

If he went to free agency, he would get 8.5 x 6, but he won't.

Last edited:

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Really depends on how his next season is. If he maintains his elite play he'll get a crazy big deal that teams will regret in a few years, but if we see a decent decrease (say ~40 points) he'll get a fair deal that both sides won't hate.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Really depends on how his next season is. If he maintains his elite play he'll get a crazy big deal that teams will regret in a few years, but if we see a decent decrease (say ~40 points) he'll get a fair deal that both sides won't hate.

I don't think his next season is going to matter for his contract, as I am confident Doug Wilson will get an extension done this summer. No way he wants a season-long Stamkos-like distraction hanging over the team in a year when we're all-in on another Cup run while Thornton's window is still open. They're already working on a deal, and I expect it to be done by the start of training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad