Prospect Info: Brennan Menell

Status
Not open for further replies.

P10p

May 15, 2012
If we want him back, do we retain his rights or is he as good as gone?

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
4 points in 2 games. Had 24.01 TOI last game, which was more than anyone else on the ice except the goalies.
Good for him.
His agent must be pretty smart to get the $$ while he can and knew he was behind Addison on depth chart. Belpedio is a different type of player than both Mennel and Addison so i don't put him in this conversation with those 2.
That could mean a couple of things.

1. In Iowa Mennel had 3 PPg and 23 PPa = 26 of his 47 points were on the PP so almost 60% of his points came on PP. In his 5 NHL games he had zero points, 4 sog's with some PP time.
2. I think he's very comparable to Clendenning, Prow and Matt Donovan guys that put up very good #'s in AHL but can't stay up in NHL
3. Is The AHL is a better league than KHL If Mennel is a #1 D in KHL ?

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Good for him.
His agent must be pretty smart to get the $$ while he can and knew he was behind Addison on depth chart. Belpedio is a different type of player than both Mennel and Addison so i don't put him in this conversation with those 2.
That could mean a couple of things.

1. In Iowa Mennel had 3 PPg and 23 PPa = 26 of his 47 points were on the PP so almost 60% of his points came on PP. In his 5 NHL games he had zero points, 4 sog's with some PP time.
2. I think he's very comparable to Clendenning, Prow and Matt Donovan guys that put up very good #'s in AHL but can't stay up in NHL
3. Is The AHL is a better league than KHL If Mennel is a #1 D in KHL ?
The AHL is a better league than the KHL top to bottom

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Until there is a final between the AHL and KHL, it's just a matter of opinion. Both leagues, but especially the KHL, are not static, and vary in quality from era to era, and even year to year. The AHL used to be more physical and defensive, for sure. Not sure about now. In general though, when i see some saying that the SHL is better than the AHL I just have to shake my head. The AHL is a VERY good league.

Yes, the KHL has a couple of perennially strong teams, while the strength of the AHL teams tends to move around. The DRW used to have a great AHL team year after year...now not so much.

The AHL is highly respected by players, and leagues around the world.

My thought on Mennell isn't so much that has given up on the Wild, but rather that he knows the future of the AHL was sketchy this year, and at 22yo, knows that the clock is ticking. Even the NHL will be starting late, and there is the possibility that it will be an abbreviated, or even stopped. KHL offers a good level of hockey, and was a sure thing, so he took advantage of an opportunity. I hope to see him on the Wild next year...could he even be an add for a playoff run?

Last edited:

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Until there is a final between the AHL and KHL, it's just a matter of opinion. Both leagues, but especially the KHL, are not static, and vary in quality from era to era, and even year to year. The AHL used to be more physical and defensive, for sure. Not sure about now. In general though, when i see some saying that the SHL is better than the AHL I just have to shake my head. The AHL is a VERY good league.

Yes, the KHL has a couple of perennially strong teams, while the strength of the AHL teams tends to move around. The DRW used to have a great AHL team year after year...now not so much.

The AHL is highly respected by players, and leagues around the world.

My thought on Mennell isn't so much that has given up on the Wild, but rather that he knows the future of the AHL was sketchy this year, and at 22yo, knows that the clock is ticking. Even the NHL will be starting late, and there is the possibility that it will be an abbreviated, or even stopped. KHL offers a good level of hockey, and was a sure thing, so he took advantage of an opportunity. I hope to see him on the Wild next year...could he even be an add for a playoff run?

That is my feeling. I don't believe Mennell is mad at the Wild or thinks they are passing up on him. I think he saw there was a possibility there isn't an AHL season and decided to take a pay raise for 1 year and keep developing. If he wanted to be gone for good he would've taken a longer than 1 year deal. Plus from his Athletic quote it sounds like his goal is to make the NHL.

I hope he makes a lot of noise in the KHL and pretty much rubs it in our face that he should get a roster spot next year. I'll never complain about getting good defensemen.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mennell could also be the Defense version of Mayhew, but if he has a good year this year then he will have to get an extended look next year, along with Addison. Also makes having a larger LHD like Soucy around important. Spurgeon, Mennell, and Addison aren't exactly the Emperor's Guard.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Mennell could also be the Defense version of Mayhew, but if he has a good year this year then he will have to get an extended look next year, along with Addison. Also makes having a larger LHD like Soucy around important. Spurgeon, Mennell, and Addison aren't exactly the Emperor's Guard.
Point taken and it was in very limited games, but Menell impressed me much more in his NHL stint than Mayhew ever did.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
He’s not behind Addison on the depth chart right now.
Are you sure about that statement ?

Wild 99% told Mennel you get 750k ( right around his QO ) over 100 - 125k.
Take it or leave, No Arb rights and I think he's waivers exempt also so he was really screwed.

Did same with Soucy BUT Soucy did have Arb rights didn't use them because then team can choose the amount of years 1 or 2 If Soucy went to Arbitration Wild would have chosen 2 years and Soucy would STILL be under Wild control instead of being a G6 UFA right now.

Same with Belpedio last year who had no Arb rights and was waivers exempt ( like Mennel this year ). Wild offered......... QO was 874k / 70k or 700k / 100k and he chose 700/100 ( easy to figure out with cap friendly ).
This year is different .... I guarantee Belpedio signs for 750k / 125 -150k and doesn't file for Arbitration. This gets interesting because he's NOT waivers exempt so he will have to clear waivers if he's not on NHL roster out of camp or if he makes team out of camp and Wild send him down for any reason during season. Also, just like Soucy this year Belpedio will be a G6 UFA if he doesn't dress in 70 or so games in NHL next season. My guess is he's a small piece of a bigger trade.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Are you sure about that statement ?

Wild 99% told Mennel you get 750k ( right around his QO ) over 100 - 125k.
Take it or leave, No Arb rights and I think he's waivers exempt also so he was really screwed.

Did same with Soucy BUT Soucy did have Arb rights didn't use them because then team can choose the amount of years 1 or 2 If Soucy went to Arbitration Wild would have chosen 2 years and Soucy would STILL be under Wild control instead of being a G6 UFA right now.

Same with Belpedio last year who had no Arb rights and was waivers exempt ( like Mennel this year ). Wild offered......... QO was 874k / 70k or 700k / 100k and he chose 700/100 ( easy to figure out with cap friendly ).
This year is different .... I guarantee Belpedio signs for 750k / 125 -150k and doesn't file for Arbitration. This gets interesting because he's NOT waivers exempt so he will have to clear waivers if he's not on NHL roster out of camp or if he makes team out of camp and Wild send him down for any reason during season. Also, just like Soucy this year Belpedio will be a G6 UFA if he doesn't dress in 70 or so games in NHL next season. My guess is he's a small piece of a bigger trade.

None of this has anything to do with Addison.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
None of this has anything to do with Addison.
Nothing accept Addison is ahead of Mennel on Wild depth chart. I don't think Mennel would have left if he didn't know that already.

Remember Addison and Mennel played together in WHL for a year. Mennel knows what he's up against.

Mennel knows that Addison is going to run #1 PP in Iowa if he doesn't make NHL roster out of camp. More importantly , Addison is going to get EVERY opportunity possible to develop at any other D-mans expense in Iowa period

Personally I like Mennels' offensive game but I'm also a realist when it comes to playing defense

IMO, 3 GM's in 2 years really hurts young guys like Mennel because Fletcher was his "guy" and now comes Guerin and Addison is his "kid"

Reactions: MNRube

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Nothing accept Addison is ahead of Mennel on Wild depth chart. I don't think Mennel would have left if he didn't know that already.

Remember Addison and Mennel played together in WHL for a year. Mennel knows what he's up against.

Mennel knows that Addison is going to run #1 PP in Iowa if he doesn't make NHL roster out of camp. More importantly , Addison is going to get EVERY opportunity possible to develop at any other D-mans expense in Iowa period

Personally I like Mennels' offensive game but I'm also a realist when it comes to playing defense

IMO, 3 GM's in 2 years really hurts young guys like Mennel because Fletcher was his "guy" and now comes Guerin and Addison is his "kid"

Spurgeon, Dumba and Pateryn are all veteran RHD's under contract for the 2020-21 season, boxing him out of the NHL for the season (as it stands now, could change with trades). Menell knew he could go get paid in the KHL; he didn't know if he is/was going to get paid in the AHL this season (or even if he was, how long it could take). None of this seems like he's threatened by Addison. It all seems like him wanting to assure himself of getting paid to play hockey for the 2020-21 season, wherever it may be.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Spurgeon, Dumba and Pateryn are all veteran RHD's under contract for the 2020-21 season, boxing him out of the NHL for the season (as it stands now, could change with trades). Menell knew he could go get paid in the KHL; he didn't know if he is/was going to get paid in the AHL this season (or even if he was, how long it could take). None of this seems like he's threatened by Addison. It all seems like him wanting to assure himself of getting paid to play hockey for the 2020-21 season, wherever it may be.

I think it's a bit naive to think that the Wild's depth at RHD in general didn't impact his decision. Addison would 100% cut into his icetime/opportunities that he was already competing with Belpedio for, and like you said he's boxed out of the NHL for the time being.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Russo's latest podcast talked a bit about Menell. Pretty much saying it wasn't a smart move by him to go to KHL since they could trade Dumba and he felt the Wild viewed Menell pretty highly. However, did make it sound like he could be back next year. They did also understand why he did it too.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Russo's latest podcast talked a bit about Menell. Pretty much saying it wasn't a smart move by him to go to KHL since they could trade Dumba and he felt the Wild viewed Menell pretty highly. However, did make it sound like he could be back next year. They did also understand why he did it too.
I'm curious to know if AHL players are actually getting paid this year and, if so, who's paying them. Because if Menell was looking at the possibility of not having a paycheck for several months while waiting on the Wild to maybe trade a defenseman, getting paid in Russia for a year seems like the obvious choice.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Mennell could also be the Defense version of Mayhew,

I don't think that's close to the truth; Mayhew isn't being really blocked by anyone, but his own abilities. He's also 27 - turning 28. Menell just turned 23. 4 years is a pretty big gap. Menell is also blocked by some talented defensemen in front of him. He could be a bottom pairing guy, but I think it's better for him to get more minutes in the AHL. If Mayhew can't beat out Rask for that 4th line slot...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think that's close to the truth; Mayhew isn't being really blocked by anyone, but his own abilities. He's also 27 - turning 28. Menell just turned 23. 4 years is a pretty big gap. Menell is also blocked by some talented defensemen in front of him. He could be a bottom pairing guy, but I think it's better for him to get more minutes in the AHL. If Mayhew can't beat out Rask for that 4th line slot...

They wouldn't be vying for the same slot.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I'm curious to know if AHL players are actually getting paid this year and, if so, who's paying them. Because if Menell was looking at the possibility of not having a paycheck for several months while waiting on the Wild to maybe trade a defenseman, getting paid in Russia for a year seems like the obvious choice.
If there was any way that Guerin or any other NHL GM knew there wasn't going to be an AHL season they would have tried to send their top prospects to Europe/russia to play hockey and hopefully develop while getting paid by someone else.
Menell is a RFA with no rights and currently not under contract with Wild. I guarantee Wild gave him a 2 way Q' offer with 100-125k in AHL.
Not knowing to much about individual teams in KHL or their salary structure as salaries have come down, If he's their #1-2 D I'd say he's getting paid 300-600k without a NHL out clause which is more than he'd make playing in for Wild next season, I don't think they pay taxes on salary in KHL.
I know of 2 players that were in a similar situation to Menell, 21-24 yrs old 1 RFA and 1 UFA but were ready to step into NHL next season, that were initial 1st offered ( obviously their agent told me ) 30k per month with housing and a car paid for WITH an NHL out clause. He said he easily could have gotten them 40-50k. Agent advised both players to stay home because of injury risk even though they had insurance policies. This makes me believe that there will be some type of an AHL season. Hopefully !

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
On today's zoom with Guerin:

Guerin is disappointed that Menell went to the KHL. The Wild wanted him to play for them in their organization, but it is his ultimate decision. Sounds like he is still in their plans though. Guerin didn't speak on if Menell could be brought back early or called back right when his contract ends. Mostly because they don't know the rules for next year.(depends on how long the season is for the NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad