Brenier - Penner - Eaves

OleOleOleOleBureBure

Oct 16, 2004
Gentlemen,

I have about 12 hours to choose 2 of the 3 guys mentioned above. Who has more potential and which current players could their potential be compared to? i really need help here. i am leaning towards brenier and penner but i really like eaves (Top line in Ott and 20G last year).

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Of the three I would take Bernier, I think he has the highest ceiling to be productive on his own.

If you asked me who will be most productive this coming year, I would say Eaves partially because of his team, and partially because of his ability.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
I'm sure you could have checked one of ten other threads regarding these players...

Ether way,

Bernier
Eaves
Penner

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Eaves is going to be a top 6 forward on Ottawa this year, with powerplay time. That means playing with the likes of Spezza, Heatley or Alfredsson.

That and the fact that he scored 20 goals in 58 games during his rookie year with just 12 minutes of ice-time per game.

1. Bernier
2. Eaves
3. Penner

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Penner is kind of overrated....in my opinion.

Eaves is heavily underrated...take Eaves and Bernier.

Penner overrated? Care to explain that one? He has done absolutely nothing to warrant being called overrated. With what he showed last year, he's very capable of being a power forward force as early as this season. I don't see how Bernier can be above him personally. I guess I'm just not a real big fan of Bernier. I'd take Penner and Eaves without hesitation.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Penner overrated? Care to explain that one? He has done absolutely nothing to warrant being called overrated. With what he showed last year, he's very capable of being a power forward force as early as this season. I don't see how Bernier can be above him personally. I guess I'm just not a real big fan of Bernier. I'd take Penner and Eaves without hesitation.

Wow. You have no idea how Bernier can be ahead of Penner.

Just.....wow.

Randall Graves*

Penner is kind of overrated....in my opinion.

Eaves is heavily underrated...take Eaves and Bernier.
How can he be overrated? In every thread with his named used in a comparison he is almost always last..Some people just can't come to terms with the fact that because he wasn't a hyped up super junior or college star that he won't be really good..all I have to say is you'll see this year.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
How can he be overrated? In every thread with his named used in a comparison he is almost always last..Some people just can't come to terms with the fact that because he wasn't a hyped up super junior or college star that he won't be really good..all I have to say is you'll see this year.

Or the fact that after he tore up the AHL and did ok in the playoffs people started getting all hot and heavy over him.

Penner has proven far less than both Bernier and Eaves and honestly, i think some Penner fans are getting carried away just because hes big and did well in the AHL.

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
Gentlemen,

I have about 12 hours to choose 2 of the 3 guys mentioned above. Who has more potential and which current players could their potential be compared to? i really need help here. i am leaning towards brenier and penner but i really like eaves (Top line in Ott and 20G last year).

Penner has the most potential out of almost any NHL player. Should be good for at least 50 points this year.:yo:

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Or the fact that after he tore up the AHL and did ok in the playoffs people started getting all hot and heavy over him.

Penner has proven far less than both Bernier and Eaves and honestly, i think some Penner fans are getting carried away just because hes big and did well in the AHL.

Penner tore up the AHL, but got most of his credit for stepping into the playoffs with around 20 NHL games under his belt and being a dominant force. Then people sort of got hot and heavy for him, but since he plays for Anaheim, I doubt it's that much.

Thing is, Penner has done very little to suggest he'll struggle in the bigs. After some seasoning in the AHL, he comes up and doesn't miss a beat in the playoffs. Now, he's the leading preseason scorer on a Stanley Cup contending team(and he doesn't even play with the big guns). How you can knock a guy for that, I don't know. For this year, I think I'd take Eaves, since he should be with Heater and Spezza, but I think Penner will be the best of the bunch in the future.

Randall Graves*

He did indeed tear apart the AHL, and the key is he was doing it with and without Getzlaf and Perry, indicating he's not leaching off of anyone, as for ok playoffs... he dominated a couple of the games, he didn't dominate all of them or anything but he showed flashes of what he can become, and he's gotten better..he's faster and stronger now and nobody has even seen his slap shot yet...100 MPH+

Hyped

Feb 27, 2002
Tombstone
Visit site
Penner overrated? Care to explain that one? He has done absolutely nothing to warrant being called overrated. With what he showed last year, he's very capable of being a power forward force as early as this season.

No he hasn't. Penner is a big body but does not use it like he should. As far as his performance from last year is concerned, he seems more like an Eric Daze clone, but I think less skilled. I don't see Penner ever cracking the 50 point mark. A "power forward" is able to use his body to create space for himself and his linemates. Penner doesn't have the ability to do that. Just my two cents.

For this question, I think Bernier and Eaves are the easy options. Eaves is an intelligent two way guy that will be a consistent 60+ point threat with the possibility of putting up bigger numbers depending on his linemates. Bernier could be a star in the league if he puts it all together. He uses his size to his advantage but not consistently yet. If he gets that going for him, he could be a force to be reckoned with for years. If you're looking for a comparison for Bernier, I see him as a quicker developing Bertuzzi with not quite the same mean streak...

Randall Graves*

No he hasn't. Penner is a big body but does not use it like he should. As far as his performance from last year is concerned, he seems more like an Eric Daze clone, but I think less skilled. I don't see Penner ever cracking the 50 point mark. A "power forward" is able to use his body to create space for himself and his linemates. Penner doesn't have the ability to do that. Just my two cents.

For this question, I think Bernier and Eaves are the easy options. Eaves is an intelligent two way guy that will be a consistent 60+ point threat with the possibility of putting up bigger numbers depending on his linemates. Bernier could be a star in the league if he puts it all together. He uses his size to his advantage but not consistently yet. If he gets that going for him, he could be a force to be reckoned with for years. If you're looking for a comparison for Bernier, I see him as a quicker developing Bertuzzi with not quite the same mean streak...
He doesn't create space? Okay.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
You would be stupid not to pick Bernier. As for choosing between Penner and Eaves, I'd go with Eaves. Penner showed flashes of brilliance, but Eaves did score 20 goals last season while playing only 58 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad