Brendl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saabato

Sep 5, 2003
London, Ontario
I'm not sure if everyone still classifies Brendl a prospect, but for the sake of argument, let's.

What is his potential? three points in two games. Voted an AHL All-Star. He must be doing something right. I know he is lazy but he is skilled as hell. Now, finally he is getting all the icetime he can handle. Before, when he got 6 minutes a game and didn't produce, everyone jumped all over him. Let's see what he can do with all this ice-time. I feel has great chemistry with Staal and O'Neill. He looks like he might stick this time.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
He's definitly a great offensive talent period. Not much you can say about his defensive play or even passing the puck. HE would rather go and score by himself then passing it around. But if he's starts passing, this kid may turn out right...

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Zherdev said:
He's definitly a great offensive talent period. Not much you can say about his defensive play or even passing the puck. HE would rather go and score by himself then passing it around. But if he's starts passing, this kid may turn out right...

I'm going to have to beg to differ on the passing aspect of the post. If you happened to catch the two assist game Friday against Atlanta on Jeff O'Neill's goals you'll see that this aspect of his game is pretty darn strong as well. One of the passes in particular was a no-look pass backhanded from Gretzky's office that caught Jeff right in front of the net and virtually gift wrapped it for him. He has come a long way from his shoot first aspect and has put up an even number of goals and assists in Lowell of the AHL in route to his first all star appearance as a professional.

The aspects of his game that still remain a question mark are his defensive play and his positioning. Both of which have looked fairly decent in his first two games up with Carolina.

This article could serve to better help you realize the fact that I personally believe that Brendl is growing up and becoming a man and it's helping his hockey game.

http://carolinahurricanes.com/canesworld/tripp.asp?journalentryid=199

One passage in particular: “They say that every player should at least play some time in the minors,” Pavel said. “There is probably something to be said for that, because it makes you appreciate each and every minute that you’re in the big leagues. But I want to be clear in saying that I do not want to spend any more time in the AHL, and I know that it’s up to me to prevent it from ever happening again the future. I’m being given a great opportunity to play with some very talented players, so it’s time to put up or shut up.”

The Jerk*

Yes I think that because Brendl has sucha a goal scorer's mentality, his passing sometimes get's overshadowed, his passing skills are actually pretty good..that backhand pass from behind the net two days ago to O'Neill was beautiful..

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Caniacforever said:
I'm going to have to beg to differ on the passing aspect of the post. If you happened to catch the two assist game Friday against Atlanta on Jeff O'Neill's goals you'll see that this aspect of his game is pretty darn strong as well. One of the passes in particular was a no-look pass backhanded from Gretzky's office that caught Jeff right in front of the net and virtually gift wrapped it for him. He has come a long way from his shoot first aspect and has put up an even number of goals and assists in Lowell of the AHL in route to his first all star appearance as a professional.

The aspects of his game that still remain a question mark are his defensive play and his positioning. Both of which have looked fairly decent in his first two games up with Carolina.

This article could serve to better help you realize the fact that I personally believe that Brendl is growing up and becoming a man and it's helping his hockey game.

http://carolinahurricanes.com/canesworld/tripp.asp?journalentryid=199

One passage in particular: “They say that every player should at least play some time in the minors,†Pavel said. “There is probably something to be said for that, because it makes you appreciate each and every minute that you’re in the big leagues. But I want to be clear in saying that I do not want to spend any more time in the AHL, and I know that it’s up to me to prevent it from ever happening again the future. I’m being given a great opportunity to play with some very talented players, so it’s time to put up or shut up.â€

When I said he wasn't passing, I meant the past (sorry if I didn't clarify it enough). But his future looks good, especially being paired up with Jeff O'Neal and Eric Staal.

By the way, are the rumours of Carolina asking Winnipeg if they are serious about bringing back an NHL club true?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
As for the potential part, i'd say that Pavel has the skills to develop into a 60-65 point player like Jeff O'Neill in the system that Laviolette currently employs. He's been known to allow his players to play the minutes that their level of play demands and sometimes top-loads the icetime on the talent instead of the grinders. If Brendl can use this to his advantage like he is currently, he could end up with a pretty fine total when the end of the season comes around.

My only fear is that the system that Paul Maurice used to run was never that condusive to natural goal scorers and the remnants of that system are still floating around the RBC Center. Which may be the reason that Brendl didn't start the season in Carolina and was recalled shortly after Lavy took the team over. If Brendl can overcome this, he'll have no problem reaching some of the pre-1999 draft expectations that were laid upon him.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Zherdev said:
By the way, are the rumours of Carolina asking Winnipeg if they are serious about bringing back an NHL club true?

From all i've gathered, and i'm trying my best to be objective rather than subjective, Carolina isn't going to Winnipeg. I've got a few reasons to back that up.

1. Carolina has only been in Carolina for 6 or 7 years, depending on how you count them. After making so many enemies in the Hartford area, i'm doubting that Karmanos would do this again so soon. Relocating a franchise isn't as easy as saying, "I want a team here, let's go here." There are miles of red tape that surround such a decision and I don't think that Karmanos is interested in dropping the capital on Winnipeg that he dropped on Carolina a few years back.

2. Winnipeg isn't very sexy to Free Agents due to the weather. This is probably part of the reason the franchise didn't survive in the first place. Winnipeg is miserable when it comes to the cold and if you're going to ask the majority of the Carolina Hurricanes team where they would like to live in a toss up between North Carolina with its temperate climate and Winnipeg i'm pretty sure it's going to be North Carolina. That's no slam against Winnipeg, it's just that people tend to enjoy the climate down here much better. It's seasonal and comfortable.

3. The value of the canadian dollar and the impact it always makes. I'd be more surprised to see a team come to Canada than leave it. Once again, not trying to slam Canada by any strech of the imagination but that is the sad reality of the situation.

Only one of those reasons, being the first one, may be very valid at all but I think that one alone would be enough to thwart any attempts that Winnipeg would make to relocate the Hurricanes. I think that a lot of this that is being reported in the news is wishful thinking on the part of Winnipeg. It's not very likely that all the teams would survive an extended lockout, much less a fledgling upstart like it would be up there.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I have to admit that I had have gave up on him.

Even if I moved to get him in my FHL ligue (for almost nothing), the general opinion of evrybody was making his effect on me.

I know that 2 games dont do a carrer, but I watched the 2 assists game vs the Bolts, and I have been very impressed by the intensity ans the will he add to his game.

He really seems to become a real NHLer.

BJ21

RokhedCommish

Sep 11, 2002
Alberta, Canada
www.Rokhed.ca
I saw Brendl play here in Calgary in numerous games and i have one word to describe him....lazy. He has no heart, no drive, no determination and just expects to be set up all game long. He is like the conceited kid we all played with in high school, that thought he was the best hockey player in the world.

Brendl doesnt even believe in working for goals in some games, no matter what the score. And his defense is really lacking since he takes his sweet ass time getting back on def. I think he will be a borderline NHLer for his career, but a solid AHLer.

RokhedCommish

Sep 11, 2002
Alberta, Canada
www.Rokhed.ca
Koltsov71 said:
So because he played that way in juniors (according to you) he is destined to play that way for all eternity? I don't buy that for a second.

well unless he changes his ways, he will not LAST in the NHL without a solid work ethic. And from whati have heard regarding his AHL play, he hasnt changed one bit.

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
RokhedCommish said:
I saw Brendl play here in Calgary in numerous games and i have one word to describe him....lazy. He has no heart, no drive, no determination and just expects to be set up all game long. He is like the conceited kid we all played with in high school, that thought he was the best hockey player in the world.

Brendl doesnt even believe in working for goals in some games, no matter what the score. And his defense is really lacking since he takes his sweet ass time getting back on def. I think he will be a borderline NHLer for his career, but a solid AHLer.

I would second that opinion based on what I saw from Brendl on the Flyers. He has a wicked, wicked shot, but he isn't willing to work hard for his goals, he expects somebody else to do all the work and just deliver the puck to him. Somehow Kobasew also gave me the same impression. I think many so-called natural goalscorers are spoiled that way because nothing else was expected from them at the junior level. Many recover and learn to work on the little things, some never do.

As for Brendl, we will just have to wait and see if this new found work ethic disappears once the novelty of being called up to the NHL wears off.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
How about a Brendl for Fedorov straight up deal... :D

Jk, I like the guy, I actually wanted the canucks to pick him instead of the sedin twins, thank god Burkey didnt. I hope he turns it around.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
RokhedCommish said:

So we can compare a 17 year olds maturity to that of a 22 year old? People can change alot in five years.
Also, if he was as bad as you make it seem in juniors then there is no way in hell that he gets drafted 4th overall.

Im glad this was brought up. Just a few days before his call up, I was discussing him with my fellow Pens fans. The thread was about possible trade targets for underachieving players. Brendl was one of them and I made it known that I think he has a huge upside. I was easily willing to trade Beech + for him and was shelled for making that remark. Alot of my fellow Pens fans think Beech has better upside.

I saw Brendl's first two games back in the NHL and came away very impressed. I think the kid's upside is huge to say the least. There are many contributing factors for his slow development as well. I wouldn't give up on him and like I said before, would trade Beech for him any day of the week.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Fedz said:
How about a Brendl for Fedorov straight up deal... :D

Jk, I like the guy, I actually wanted the canucks to pick him instead of the sedin twins, thank god Burkey didnt. I hope he turns it around.

I think in a few years you may be wishing different possibly. This is, so far, his best chance to make it. He is older, more mature, experienced and is playing with quality linemates.
"Turn it around" might not be the best way to put it. Get it started may be the way to go.

TeamPlayer

Jan 11, 2003
How has his last couple of games been going? I noticed he hasnt been getting any shots!

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Vanman said:
How has his last couple of games been going? I noticed he hasnt been getting any shots!

I didn't see the last game against Atlanta so I dont know, but his game against Tampa, he was pretty damn good. He set up two goals (one REAL nice one to O'Neill) and seemed to have the puck following him. He looked very good in the two games I saw him in.
3 gp 1g 2a 3pts.
Not to shabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad