Brendl cut by Euro team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
well, he does have the pure talent to be a good goal scorer...in terms of shooting, etc etc. but his skating is absolutely horrendous and it appears he has no real heart when it comes to playing hockey...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
X-SHARKIE said:
I still remember the Rangers on that day, Nielsen saying that this guy is going to be a 50 goal scorer yada yada......man.

Whoever bought that crap was an idiot. I never bought into his hype, though I did with Lundmark (and still hold out for him since he HAS looked a lot bigger and such).

What a lazy bum. He doesnt deserve his skates.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Levitate said:
well, he does have the pure talent to be a good goal scorer...in terms of shooting, etc etc. but his skating is absolutely horrendous and it appears he has no real heart when it comes to playing hockey...

Absolutely none!

He's done! Hang 'em up Krispy!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't know the circumstances here - sounds like he left the team rather than being cut - but he played very well at the start of last season in the AHL and continued that sort of play in Carolina before being hurt. I'm still convinced he'll score goals in the NHL, and he won't have a lot of competition for a top-6 wing spot in Carolina when play resumes.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
I believed in Brendl, he was a boom or bust for me and i thought he was going to be a Boomer of a player

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
If Brendl had any intention of ever becoming a player in the NHL, he'd be with a power skating instructor 5-6 times a week instead of trying to make his last buck playing professional hockey. Brendl will get absolutely no benefit from playing in European leagues as he possesses the skating of a paraplegic and has very little tangible skills, outside of his amazing array of shots. In a more defensive league that revolves around speed, Brendl has no place, whatsoever. Why do you think he went to the WHL instead of the Czech mens' league in the first place?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
flyers guy said:
If Brendl had any intention of ever becoming a player in the NHL, he'd be with a power skating instructor 5-6 times a week instead of trying to make his last buck playing professional hockey. Brendl will get absolutely no benefit from playing in European leagues as he possesses the skating of a paraplegic and has very little tangible skills, outside of his amazing array of shots. In a more defensive league that revolves around speed, Brendl has no place, whatsoever. Why do you think he went to the WHL instead of the Czech mens' league in the first place?

Or he could improve vastly on work ethic alone. You can get byin the NHL with faulty skating if you work your ass off. He doesn't.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
he always looked to me like the kind of guy who can finish if someone sets him up...but his skills in terms of setting himself up and making a play happen are very limited. what i've heard about his play in the WHL is similar as well.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Vlad The Impaler said:
Or he could improve vastly on work ethic alone. You can get byin the NHL with faulty skating if you work your ass off. He doesn't.
True, I didn't really mention his non-existent work ethic, but it certainly is a direct link to the problems he has with skating. If he worked on his skating (and conditioning) at all, he would most certainly improve exponentially.

Brendl's problems definitely all stem from a lack of desire and work ethic.

Reveille said:
Whoever bought that crap was an idiot. I never bought into his hype, though I did with Lundmark (and still hold out for him since he HAS looked a lot bigger and such).

What a lazy bum. He doesnt deserve his skates.

Obviously you didn't see a whole lot of Brendl in junior then. Sure he was lazy and a cherry picker (we used to call him "Brenda Euro Goal Suck"), but he was about as dominant a player as I've seen in the WHL in the last 15 years, including phenoms like Iginla and Hossa.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MS said:
I don't know the circumstances here - sounds like he left the team rather than being cut - but he played very well at the start of last season in the AHL and continued that sort of play in Carolina before being hurt. I'm still convinced he'll score goals in the NHL, and he won't have a lot of competition for a top-6 wing spot in Carolina when play resumes.

He was basically asked to leave. It wasn't an official cut. He wasn't playing up to snuff and apparantly was at odds with the coaching and players and such.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Levitate said:
he always looked to me like the kind of guy who can finish if someone sets him up...but his skills in terms of setting himself up and making a play happen are very limited. what i've heard about his play in the WHL is similar as well.
That's because he can't move the puck himself. Watching Brendl with the puck in open ice is like watching a new born moose trying to walk. It's not pretty.

When Brendl has the puck given to him near scoring position he's got some of the best hands I've ever seen. I remember John LeClair (who had some pretty decent hands himself) and some other Flyers oohing and aahing about how he could do things with the puck that they've never seen before. I've never seen a prospect besides Brendl have NHL-star worthy slap, wrist, snap, and backhand shots coming straight out of juniors. Watching Brendl in pre-season and practices, Brendl looked like some Richard Trophies were in his future.

Too bad he just doesn't give a ****.

Rodent

Due to an issue with "rights", Brendl appeared to have lost his job in C. R. last week and was scheduled to head back to North America to play (presumably) for a team in the 'Cane organization.

However, on Friday Brendl got a job with Olomouc, a team in the "1 league" which is a notch below ExtraLiga.

Reaction by the new coach:

"I will find room for him."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Hellström

Sep 22, 2002
On saturday morning Brendl was trying out in Krefeld (DEL).
According to the reports the Krefeld Pinguine are testing Brendl in the next few days.

Source: hockeyweb.de

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That's because he can't move the puck himself. Watching Brendl with the puck in open ice is like watching a new born moose trying to walk. It's not pretty.

When Brendl has the puck given to him near scoring position he's got some of the best hands I've ever seen. I remember John LeClair (who had some pretty decent hands himself) and some other Flyers oohing and aahing about how he could do things with the puck that they've never seen before. I've never seen a prospect besides Brendl have NHL-star worthy slap, wrist, snap, and backhand shots coming straight out of juniors. Watching Brendl in pre-season and practices, Brendl looked like some Richard Trophies were in his future.

yeah that's pretty much my impression, he needs to be able to create some for himself to make it in the NHL IMO. and to care, that would help too

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
Reveille said:
He was basically asked to leave. It wasn't an official cut. He wasn't playing up to snuff and apparantly was at odds with the coaching and players and such.
Oh, I see. He wasn't cut. He was just asked to leave because he wasn't playing up to snuff and didn't get along with his coaches and teammates. But he wasn't cut.

:LAFFO:

regdunlap7

Sep 28, 2003
lowell, ma
Visit site
I saw him play for Lowell a few times. I remember I was really excited to see him the 1st time because I remembered what a high profile prospect he'd been. So I watched him closely every time he was on the ice and the whole time I'm thinking, "How the hell did this guy get drafted at all?" He just kinda coasted around, shoulders slumped doing absoltuely nothing. He looked like a complete stiff.

Then with about 30 seconds left the Lock Monsters were behind and got a face off in the other team's end. They got a clean face off win to Brendl at the top of the circle and he launched an absolute heat seeking missle of a snap shot. I'd like to tell you it was top shelf, or far corner, but the truth is I couldn't even tell (and I was sitting 1st row near the goalie). It was just blistered into the back of the net.

At that point I could see why teams would want him. That kinda pure shooting ability is truly rare. But you could also see why he might have trouble making it as his skating, defense, ethic and effort were all very poor.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah he's a frustrating prospect...amazing skills in one area but won't/can't do anything else. if he just improved his skating and work ethic to a decent level he could probably be a decent NHLer...give him a good setup guy and he could score. but if he can't even raise the other parts of his game to a decent level, that's not gonna happen

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Reveille said:

"When we benched him he felt offended. He decided to leave and we agreed. It is best for both sides."

Quote in the article from the team's GM. To me that doesn't sound like being cut. He got benched, was pissed off, and asked to leave.

Again, I think what most people are missing here is that he answered a lot of the criticisms against him with his play last year. He worked hard in Lowell and was lighting it up down there. After his recall to Carolina he was getting terrific reviews from their coaches for his improved hustle and defensive play and was producing at a solid level (5 goals in 17 games) before he was hurt. Everyone in Carolina seems to be expecting him to play a major role when play resumes. He's far from being 'done' and this incident doesn't really mean all that much in the bigger picture, as far as I'm concerned.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
VO #23 said:
Obviously you didn't see a whole lot of Brendl in junior then. Sure he was lazy and a cherry picker (we used to call him "Brenda Euro Goal Suck"), but he was about as dominant a player as I've seen in the WHL in the last 15 years, including phenoms like Iginla and Hossa.

Obviously you didn't see him in his first Rangers camp - Overweight and slow and no desire what so ever.

I never even liked him that much in Juniors.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
MS said:
"When we benched him he felt offended. He decided to leave and we agreed. It is best for both sides."

Quote in the article from the team's GM. To me that doesn't sound like being cut. He got benched, was pissed off, and asked to leave.

Giving up is not much better than being kicked out, IMO.

MS said:
Again, I think what most people are missing here is that he answered a lot of the criticisms against him with his play last year. He worked hard in Lowell and was lighting it up down there. After his recall to Carolina he was getting terrific reviews from their coaches for his improved hustle and defensive play and was producing at a solid level (5 goals in 17 games) before he was hurt.

I haven't seen him in the AHL but I don't know if I would call his numbers there "lighting it up". He's 22-23 years old. Those are very ordinary numbers (33 points in 33 games) for a mature, experienced guy who is all about offense.

I did see him in Carolina, however, and was not too impressed. When I read that he was a more intense players, I couldn't wait to watch him. I was disappointed. He's still the old Brendl with the occasional effort boost but stretches of floating and he is still extremely unidimensional to me.

My biggest problem is that he is not even *offensively* well-rounded. This is what kills it for me. If he was all (great) offense and no defense, I could live with it. But I find deficiencies in his offensive game.

It was the same thing back in Philly. You had guys with rose-colored glasses saying he was improved and there was the occasional good comment in newspaper from the coaching staff... and then he would disappear once again.

MS said:
Everyone in Carolina seems to be expecting him to play a major role when play resumes.

It's Carolina. They have to, they're starving for any kind of talent over there. They're expectations are more hope and optimism than anything else. Not that Brendl doesn't have a chance but he's rather ordinary so far and everytime he switches to an upper level, it becomes harder for him to cheat his way and his impact becomes less and less important.

MS said:
He's far from being 'done' and this incident doesn't really mean all that much in the bigger picture, as far as I'm concerned.

That I find hard to believe. With all the red flags about Brendl's attitude, this is definitly one more concern for me. I would not touch this player with a ten foot pole. Not because he's the most awful ever but there's much better out there.

There are guys who are more promising and many who will probably score just as much in the NHL while giving you a more well-rounded game.

This is just anoher instance where Brendl gave up. Another in a long line of red flags. You have to give some room and a margin for players to blow a fuse or play subpar, or have problems adapting. These things happen. But with Brendl, there's always something happening.

Why is he wasting his time over there anyway? Can't he play in the AHL this year? If he can, he definitly should.

Adlergirl

Sep 2, 2004
Mannheim
Bakos said:
On saturday morning Brendl was trying out in Krefeld (DEL).
According to the reports the Krefeld Pinguine are testing Brendl in the next few days.

Source: hockeyweb.de

Brendl got cut by the Krefeld Pinguine as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad