Value of: Brenden Dillon to STL

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Well Dillon is also 8 years younger then Greene so I wouldn't be surprised if a team gives up 2 2nds, with one being conditional on resigning. Or like a conditional 3rd if said team makes the finals/wins cup.
Age doesn't matter for a rental, but yeah, maybe you get a conditional pick that is never going to actually be met.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Age doesn't matter for a rental, but yeah, maybe you get a conditional pick that is never going to actually be met.
I brought up his age as he is still in his prime and whoever trades for him might want to keep him for next season. I don't think that is completely out of the realm for Brendan Dillon. He's a great penalty killer and can slide up and down a d-corps.

jimmythemick

Dec 13, 2018
STL
I brought up his age as he is still in his prime and whoever trades for him might want to keep him for next season. I don't think that is completely out of the realm for Brendan Dillon. He's a great penalty killer and can slide up and down a d-corps.

I won't discount his upsides, otherwise what would be the point of discussing him being traded to the Blues. He's got a ton of upside and I think he would be great in St. Louis. My main point would be that Armstrong probably won't shoot to the moon on a rental, no matter how much it appears we need him. There is also a personal reason for wanting him on our team and its because we share the same last name.

You mentioned a conditional pick though. How about a 2nd with a conditional 4th, with the 4th turning into a 3rd if we make the conference final and a second if we sign him and make the finals with Dillon playing in at least 6 playoff games?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't disagree with this, and I like Dillon as a player.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I won't discount his upsides, otherwise what would be the point of discussing him being traded to the Blues. He's got a ton of upside and I think he would be great in St. Louis. My main point would be that Armstrong probably won't shoot to the moon on a rental, no matter how much it appears we need him. There is also a personal reason for wanting him on our team and its because we share the same last name.

You mentioned a conditional pick though. How about a 2nd with a conditional 4th, with the 4th turning into a 3rd if we make the conference final and a second if we sign him and make the finals with Dillon playing in at least 6 playoff games?
Yeah this is the type of trade I expect to go down.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Not sure I see much upside in 29-year-old who hasn't averaged 20 minutes per game since he was dealt from Dallas 5 years ago. He is nice 3rd pairing guy, but how is he any better than Edmundson was?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
...and DW will trade Dillon to whatever team gives him the best offer. If you think Nolan and a 3rd is the best offer he’s going to get then you are kidding yourself.

It depends. It very well could be. It very well could not be. We don't know how the market will shake out. What we saw for example last year was that teams that got in early, got way worse deals than teams that waited; it was better for sellers to sell early. If there are a lot of teams offering dmen, Dillon could go for less than a 3rd. It's all about the market, and supply and demand. If Wilson is going to get primo value, he'll have to hope more teams enter the hunt, and there are less sellers at the deadline and more buyers. Dillon's a good asset, and I hope the Sharks can get something great for him, but his value isn't a constant. It changes every night.

Reactions: simon IC

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It depends. It very well could be. It very well could not be. We don't know how the market will shake out. What we saw for example last year was that teams that got in early, got way worse deals than teams that waited; it was better for sellers to sell early. If there are a lot of teams offering dmen, Dillon could go for less than a 3rd. It's all about the market, and supply and demand. If Wilson is going to get primo value, he'll have to hope more teams enter the hunt, and there are less sellers at the deadline and more buyers. Dillon's a good asset, and I hope the Sharks can get something great for him, but his value isn't a constant. It changes every night.
Dillon has expressed his interest to stay. If all we get are mid picks and long shot prospects then we keep him and resign him.

Reactions: themelkman

jimmythemick

Dec 13, 2018
STL
Not sure I see much upside in 29-year-old who hasn't averaged 20 minutes per game since he was dealt from Dallas 5 years ago. He is nice 3rd pairing guy, but how is he any better than Edmundson was?

I get what you are saying, but it seems to be a low risk for the liability we might have on the left side. Right now its Gunnarson, Dunn, and Mikkola. If it wasn't for Gunnarson's injury history, I think it would be a non factor. But we are one injury away from having our entire left side made up of young D. That concerns me down the stretch. Dillon was a great shutdown guy in Dallas, but I really haven't watched him much since moving to SJ. Reports are that STL scouts were at the FLA/SJ game this afternoon, so who really knows until it happens (or doesn't)

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I get what you are saying, but it seems to be a low risk for the liability we might have on the left side. Right now its Gunnarson, Dunn, and Mikkola. If it wasn't for Gunnarson's injury history, I think it would be a non factor. But we are one injury away from having our entire left side made up of young D. That concerns me down the stretch. Dillon was a great shutdown guy in Dallas, but I really haven't watched him much since moving to SJ. Reports are that STL scouts were at the FLA/SJ game this afternoon, so who really knows until it happens (or doesn't)

I don't think he will come as cheap as you think he should be. That's the thing with Dillon. He is a useful player but not a guy you want your team to spend good assets on.

However, just look to the past to see how Wilson values defenseman of his ilk. He got 2 2nd round picks for guys like Murray and Rivet and acquired Polak for the same price at other trade deadlines. I would wager that is how much he is valuing Dillon.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't think he will come as cheap as you think he should be. That's the thing with Dillon. He is a useful player but not a guy you want your team to spend good assets on.

However, just look to the past to see how Wilson values defenseman of his ilk. He got 2 2nd round picks for guys like Murray and Rivet and acquired Polak for the same price at other trade deadlines. I would wager that is how much he is valuing Dillon.
At that price I would pass.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The Sharks first off need to decide if they're Rebuilding or not. Wilson is doing this team no favors and should be fired as it stands. If the Sharks are looking to fill holes, package Dillon for a blue chip Netminder + 1st. That solves two problems and the Blues could be the answer to that, if done right.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The Sharks first off need to decide if they're Rebuilding or not. Wilson is doing this team no favors and should be fired as it stands. If the Sharks are looking to fill holes, package Dillon for a blue chip Netminder + 1st. That solves two problems and the Blues could be the answer to that, if done right.
I don’t think we will get both a blue chip goalie prospect and a 1st for Dillon. I think we would try for a first but ultimately settle for 2 2nds.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I don’t think we will get both a blue chip goalie prospect and a 1st for Dillon. I think we would try for a first but ultimately settle for 2 2nds.

I said: If the Sharks are looking to fill holes, PACKAGE Dillon for a blue chip Netminder + 1st.

Meaning Dillon + A player/Other players. Blues could use some depth, especially since one side of the D looks kind of light.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

I would try for Hofer straightup.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I said: If the Sharks are looking to fill holes, PACKAGE Dillon for a blue chip Netminder + 1st.

Meaning Dillon + A player/Other players. Blues could use some depth, especially since one side of the D looks kind of light.
I don’t think we could/would package enough players to get that return.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I don’t think we could/would package enough players to get that return.

If the team is in rebuild mode, it would be a smart move as a long term investment for the Sharks. The problem right now is, what direction is the team going in? The longer Wilson is GM, the farther down they're going to go. He's not getting them what they need and he's succeeded in draining the development talent pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad