Player Discussion Brendan Gaunce (Canucks will not extend qualifying offer - Dhaliwal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Gaunce has only played 21 NHL games in the last 14 months. In that span he has 5 goals and 3 assists. I'd be interested to know if that's closer to his real pace at the NHL level as opposed to the 6 points in the first 96 games.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Schaller is 4 years older than Gaunce.

When Schaller was 24 (Gaunce's current age) he had 2 points in 18 games. In fact, removing last season's stats, Schaller had career totals of 19 points in 94 games - again, all at an older age than Gaunce.

I hardly think that is any indication of a player with offensive upside.

It definitely looked like an offensive upgrade for this season. Don't know where that can be argued based on their 17-18 seasons.
Maybe Gaunce will be able to carve out a career as a serviceable NHL regular one day... but didn't look like he had earned to be gifted a permanent roster spot going into the summer.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Gaunce has only played 21 NHL games in the last 14 months. In that span he has 5 goals and 3 assists. I'd be interested to know if that's closer to his real pace at the NHL level as opposed to the 6 points in the first 96 games.

I look forward to his next run of NHL games to find out...
Would be awesome if takes a step and becomes a 20-25 pt regular.

Reactions: iceburg

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I look forward to his next run of NHL games to find out...
Would be awesome if takes a step and becomes a 20-25 pt regular.
The thing is, even if he were only a 15 point 4th liner. He plays heavy Dzone start minutes and breaks even.

Like people are all over the Motte wagon as a 4th liner and he isn't getting the heavy dzone starts Gaunce did last year (15% Dzone for gaunce, 35% for Motte).

And Motte's 14 points look great (2 EN goals), but he's be on for 18 goals for and 29 against. 38% GF.

Gaunce was at worst a break even, in much tougher minutes.

Reactions: daddyohsix

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
That is the problem, nobody would complain if they actually brought someone in who is better than Gaunce/Biega but no matter how hard they try the havent. Nobody is complaining that Gaunce/Biega isnt in the lineup because he is such a good player. People complain because they bring in players that are worse than Gaunce/Biega yet play ahead of him. They are just wasting assets and money.

Fixed.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Has there ever been a Canuck bust 1st rounder that got more love than Gaunce 7yrs after their draft?

He was 26th overall and has played 117 NHL games so far. Pretty liberal use of the term 'bust' since he never had lofty expectations to begin with. That draft year was also garbage, look at the players selected around Gaunce, outside of Skjei and Pearson there's a whole lot of 'meh':

124BostonMalcolm SubbanGBelleville Bulls [OHL]3400042018-19
125St. LouisJordan SchmaltzDGreen Bay Gamblers [USHL]42055122018-19
126VancouverBrendan GaunceCBelleville Bulls [OHL]1176915452018-19
127PhoenixHenrik SamuelssonCEdmonton Oil Kings [WHL]300022014-15
128NY RangersBrady SkjeiDU.S. National Development Team [USHL]2241266781072018-19
129New JerseyStefan MatteauCU.S. National Development Team [USHL]64347272017-18
130Los AngelesTanner PearsonLBarrie Colts [OHL]3677880158942018-19
Round 2
RoundNum.Drafted ByPlayerPosDrafted FromGPGAPtsPIMLast Season
231ColumbusOscar DanskGBrynas IF Gavle [SEL]400002017-18
232EdmontonMitch MorozLEdmonton Oil Kings [WHL]
233MontrealSebastian CollbergRFrolunda HC [SEL]
234NY IslandersVille PokkaDKarpat [SM-liiga]
235TorontoMatt FinnDGuelph Storm [OHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Gaunce was liked because he seemed like a good kid, had good positional play and defensive awareness, and seemed very determined to improve. I hope he gets another crack at the NHL when injuries arise.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He was 26th overall and has played 117 NHL games so far. Pretty liberal use of the term 'bust' since he never had lofty expectations to begin with. That draft year was also garbage, look at the players selected around Gaunce, outside of Skjei and Pearson there's a whole lot of 'meh':

124BostonMalcolm SubbanGBelleville Bulls [OHL]3400042018-19
125St. LouisJordan SchmaltzDGreen Bay Gamblers [USHL]42055122018-19
126VancouverBrendan GaunceCBelleville Bulls [OHL]1176915452018-19
127PhoenixHenrik SamuelssonCEdmonton Oil Kings [WHL]300022014-15
128NY RangersBrady SkjeiDU.S. National Development Team [USHL]2241266781072018-19
129New JerseyStefan MatteauCU.S. National Development Team [USHL]64347272017-18
130Los AngelesTanner PearsonLBarrie Colts [OHL]3677880158942018-19
Round 2
RoundNum.Drafted ByPlayerPosDrafted FromGPGAPtsPIMLast Season
231ColumbusOscar DanskGBrynas IF Gavle [SEL]400002017-18
232EdmontonMitch MorozLEdmonton Oil Kings [WHL]
233MontrealSebastian CollbergRFrolunda HC [SEL]
234NY IslandersVille PokkaDKarpat [SM-liiga]
235TorontoMatt FinnDGuelph Storm [OHL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Gaunce was liked because he seemed like a good kid, had good positional play and defensive awareness, and seemed very determined to improve. I hope he gets another crack at the NHL when injuries arise.

If your top 45 picks dont play 300 games thats a bust pick. 2012 wasn't that bad just lacked high end talent.
Its opportunity and value lost considering 45-50 players every draft play 300 games....maybe he does and i retract this statement

Skjei Pearson Sissons Severson Tierney McCabe Parayko Gostisbehere Lindell all went in the next 55 picks.

Obviously odds go down per selection and the draft was fine considering we got Hutton and Gaunce is perhaps somewhat useful but not expecting much because of the late 1st thing is pretty weak considering how worked up people get over getting a late 1st for players in trades to good teams?

I mean if you traded Tanev for a late 1st and late 2nd in this draft and both picks busted would that be an ok expectation for Benning?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If your top 45 picks dont play 300 games thats a bust pick. 2012 wasn't that bad just lacked high end talent.
Its opportunity and value lost considering 45-50 players every draft play 300 games....maybe he does and i retract this statement

Skjei Pearson Sissons Severson Tierney McCabe Parayko Gostisbehere Lindell all went in the next 55 picks.

Obviously odds go down per selection and the draft was fine considering we got Hutton and Gaunce is perhaps somewhat useful but not expecting much because of the late 1st thing is pretty weak considering how worked up people get over getting a late 1st for players in trades to good teams?

I mean if you traded Tanev for a late 1st and late 2nd in this draft and both picks busted would that be an ok expectation for Benning?
LOL.

Yes, if Benning made that move it would be great. It would be lauded as a great move and rightfully so. The picks "busting" has nothing to do with it.

Where are you coming up with less than 300 games = bust?

I find the irony of you complaining about this bust getting so much chatter, but you're in here posting about it to be quite amusing.

It's also freakin' hilarious somebody provided insights you immediately dismiss.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
He's our Leivo

Except the Canucks are not as deep as T.O so he's also a step behind Leivo lol

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
LOL.

Yes, if Benning made that move it would be great. It would be lauded as a great move and rightfully so. The picks "busting" has nothing to do with it.

Where are you coming up with less than 300 games = bust?

I find the irony of you complaining about this bust getting so much chatter, but you're in here posting about it to be quite amusing.

It's also freakin' hilarious somebody provided insights you immediately dismiss.
You mad?
I was talking about drafting and bust expectation not trade value. So i wasn't dismissing it at all just applying a different opinion/perspective

My take.... Keep in mind this is just about drafting and expectations nothing else. Every draft 45-50 selections play 300+ games....which are for the most part serviceable to excellent NHLers. This is fact....anything less barring a trajic injury is just a junk player or minor leaguer

A team with X amount of selections in the top 45-50 needs to have as many players work out as 300 game players or they are falling behind average draft production and will have to find other means to supplement their rosters.

As a relateable example....Gillis during his tenure from 2008 to 2013 had 7 opportunities inside the top 50....Hodgson Horvat are the only 2 that have exceeded 300 games and Cody was obviously a massive dissappointment for many reasons. Anyways Ben Hutton and Kevin Connauton were his only late pick supplement to the 300 game player expectation and why the Canuck scouts and drafting was an abject failure (to restock his team) related to picks.

Keeping this just to drafting, amateur scouting and bust related to Gaunce. If he cant play 300 games which he might but is currently in the minors 7 yrs after 2012 then he absolutely is a bust and not a dissappointment IMO. If he plays 300 games and is 45th in scoring for those players then i would say he's a dissappointment. If he was 15th in scoring related to his draft class then that would be a great pick.

You can easily refine the picks that did make it to 300 games by relating where they went in the draft to further analyse success vs failure (value asset drain)

E.g. Virtanen 6th selection vs 25th in scoring for his class. He's gonna get 300 games but he would be value lost and a bad pick.

This is where i'm coming from.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You can easily refine the picks that did make it to 300 games by relating where they went in the draft to further analyse success vs failure (value asset drain)

E.g. Virtanen 6th selection vs 25th in scoring for his class. He's gonna get 300 games but he would be value lost and a bad pick.
He currently behind the 24th dude selected in his class in terms of overall career points so far (though leads him by a single point this season).:naughty:

But seriously, I don't disagree with much of what you're trying to say.

Last edited:

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I think he's a great fit in Carolina and could see him getting dealt before the deadline. Other possibilities include Carolina, Edmonton, Colorado the Islanders, and even Toronto.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Jay Beagle as an example at age 24/25 had 10 NHL games. He has 500 now. Probably best not to close the book on Gaunce at this stage.

Reactions: ginner classic

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He currently behind the 24th dude selected in his class in terms of overall career points so far (though leads him by a single point this season).:naughty:

But seriously, I don't disagree with much of what you're trying to say.
Yes you can refine it....some guys like Spooner (just to pull a name)for example may have more pts but are worse overall players because of role and inability to play up and down and i think Sanheim was behind in terms of pts but you have to adjust defenseman in terms of where they play 1st pair 2nd pair 3rd pair vs production and he's been playing top4 for the Flyers so he's ahead even if behind in pts if that makes sense.

Reactions: Hit the post

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Except Gaunce should be have been a full timer this year and last year. The reason he has so few games played is because we play guys like Granlund instead of him.

When people are arguing that he isn't a bust and that he should be in the NHL you can't just say "well he hasn't played enough games so you're wrong" when the entire point is that he was deserving of those games.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Even at times this season, some people still thought that Virtanen is better than Nylander/Ehlers. That’s some pretty crazy overrating for a draft disappointment.

Pretty sure literally all of those posts were tongue in cheek.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell

JZmHufc.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->