Player Discussion Brendan Gaunce (Canucks will not extend qualifying offer - Dhaliwal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Glad he made it through, it'll be good for him to go down and get back on track.

Exactly.

You know all of a sudden.....Utica ain’t looking too bad. Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi, Gaunce, Demko, Lind, Palmu, etc. Perhaps they have a chance at going deep this year?.....and if they do, what type of effect will that have on the kids?

The fans that I’ve seen from Utica on here have always been down on us for providing them with a competitive enough team or enough depth down the middle. Whelp - thou shall ask and thou shall receive.

I will define success for the Canucks this season as follows:

1) Pettersson morphs into an elite superstar center for us at some point this year.

2) Juolevi develops and proves worthy of being a 2nd pairing PMD.

3) Hughes has a monstrous year in college and shows serious signs of becoming a 1st pairing PMD

4) Utica goes deep into the playoffs.

These might be lofty targets, but I think these are well within reach. If these 4 things boxes are checked this year, then I truly believe that we’ll start seeing good things from this team by the time 2020-2021 hits.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
MS must be shocked! Every GM in the league cant see how dominant Gaunce is. Idiots!
Better than Sutter.....Good 3rd liner? wow lol

Anyway i've posted my shot @MS and will move on if guys like @travis scott will let me. It's not like i haven't miss read a players potential before...i just found it odd that MS and others would have such a liking for a dud NHL player and be so highly critical of others..nice addition to Utica, and as mentioned hopefully he can continue to grow his game and get back in the show at some point.

He’s better than Granlund and Gagne.

Never ceases to amaze me that after getting the ball slammed right down on all of you lovers that you try to re direct the shots at others. Sure Granlund and Gagner are not very good NHLers but this is essentially posting a re direction to Gillis for an excuse for Benning if i've ever seen one. I think anyone who has supported this team for a long time deserves better hopefully we can agree on that. Anyone that struggles to make impact on a btm 5 team is either undeveloped or a bad NHL player.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not surprised. At any of this. Said when we spent $8 million on old scrubs this would happen, and basically everyone clears waivers at this time of year.

Doesn't make it any less stupid.

Reactions: brokenhole

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Better than Sutter.....Good 3rd liner? wow lol

Anyway i've posted my shot @MS and will move on if guys like @travis scott will let me. It's not like i haven't miss read a players potential before...i just found it odd that MS and others would have such a liking for a dud NHL player and be so highly critical of others..nice addition to Utica, and as mentioned hopefully he can continue to grow his game and get back in the show at some point.

Never ceases to amaze me that after getting the ball slammed right down on all of you lovers that you try to re direct the shots at others. Sure Granlund and Gagner are not very good NHLers but this is essentially posting a re direction to Gillis for an excuse for Benning if i've ever seen one. I think anyone who has supported this team for a long time deserves better hopefully we can agree on that. Anyone that struggles to make impact on a btm 5 team is either undeveloped or a bad NHL player.

Like who? 30 year old Sutter?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Pretty sure half the guys your idol has brought in to this roster would clear waivers too, not sure why you're so excited.
Lol! Jim is my idol :) yes, half our team would clear waivers as the team is trash. What does that have to do with me not liking Gaunce as a player?

It’s hilarious how defensive people are about Gaunce. Any post claiming he isn’t good at hockey is immediately met with “ya but Benning sucks” or “Granlund is worse.” Incredibly immature

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Lol! Jim is my idol :) yes, half our team would clear waivers as the team is trash. What does that have to do with me not liking Gaunce as a player?

It’s hilarious how defensive people are about Gaunce. Any post claiming he isn’t good at hockey is immediately met with “ya but Benning sucks” or “Granlund is worse.” Incredibly immature
And using NHL gm's to determine if a player sucks, especially at the final stage of camp when teams are finalizing their rosters is stupid.

Jim Benning in an incompetent moron who has one of the worst pro-scouting records in his tenure in Vancouver in the last 20 years of this league. He's a NHL GM, using other people similar to him to justify if a player is good or bad is pretty hilarious.

People make it seem like we call Gaunce a superstar, pretty much everyone here has said he would a good 4th liner that can eat up tough deployment which will in effect free up offensive situations for guys like Pettersson and Boeser.

Grow up, you're a grown man who's salivating over a 24 year old getting cut from the NHL.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
And using NHL gm's to determine if a player sucks, especially at the final stage of camp when teams are finalizing their rosters is stupid.

Jim Benning in an incompetent moron who has one of the worst pro-scouting records in his tenure in Vancouver in the last 20 years of this league. He's a NHL GM, using other people similar to him to justify if a player is good or bad is pretty hilarious.

People make it seem like we call Gaunce a superstar, pretty much everyone here has said he would a good 4th liner that can eat up tough deployment which will in effect free up offensive situations for guys like Pettersson and Boeser.

Grow up, you're a grown man who's salivating over a 24 year old getting cut from the NHL.
I think salivating is a gross exaggeration. I’m pleased that I won’t have to watch Gaunce Labor up and down the ice all season. Not sure why that has made you so angry and defensive. The rest of your post? It’s just Benning bashing and that’s great but I’m not sure what it has to do with Gaunce?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I think salivating is a gross exaggeration. I’m pleased that I won’t have to watch Gaunce Labor up and down the ice all season. Not sure why that has made so angry and defensive. The rest of your post? It’s just Benning bashing and that’s great but I’m not sure what it has to do with Gaunce?
Pretty sure I went over my defense of Gaunce, might have flew over your head though.

Enjoy watching old turds labor up and down the ice, and remember it's not going to be just for this year they're here to stay until the new regime comes in and buys them out.

Reactions: travis scott

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Pretty sure I went over my defense of Gaunce, might have flew over your head though.

Enjoy watching old turds labor up and down the ice, and remember it's not going to be just for this year they're here to stay until the new regime comes in and buys them out.
I didn’t like the UFA signings. I’m not excited for them either

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Guances job was on the line July 1st....obviously...You would think that he would have a ton of incentive to demonstrate his value to the team the last few weeks.?..He didn't move the needle the slightest ....Easy decision...

Reactions: DonnyNucker

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
So why cheer for a similar caliber player who makes a fraction of the cost as the plumbers and ice cream truck drivers we signed this summer to be cut?
Schaller scored 12 goals last year and can fight. Beagle can skate and take faceoffs. Roussel brings some energy and a bit of offense. Gaunce has 5 goals over the last three season and is slow as molasses. From a pure entertainment perspective the other 3 bring more to the table. Is Gaunce better defensively? Maybe. But this team is going to lose most nights and as a fan that attends most games and watch’s ever other game I just want to be entertained. Is that too much to ask?

Also, as I mentioned I didn’t like the signings. Giving 4 years to 4th liners is absurd. But I don’t mind the players. If they were on one year contracts I’d be pleased

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
There are some obvious deficiencies in Gaunce's game that I can understand how some people don't see him as an NHL caliber player. Sure, he's a big sluggish and lumbering skater, he doesn't use his size to lay on the body very much and his offensive game has really stalled at the NHL level so far. However, he's a smart player a who always seems to make smart and safe decisions with the puck, both in the defensive and offensive ends of the ice. I think most of his weaknesses can be overcome due to his level of intelligence on the ice, along with a great attitude and work ethic. I don't think he'll spend a lot of time in the AHL.

Reactions: travis scott

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Schaller scored 12 goals last year and can fight. Beagle can skate and take faceoffs. Roussel brings some energy and a bit of offense. Gaunce has 5 goals over the last three season and is slow as molasses. From a pure entertainment perspective the other 3 bring more to the table. Is Gaunce better defensively? Maybe. But this team is going to lose most nights and as a fan that attends most games and watch’s ever other game I just want to be entertained. Is that too much to ask?

Also, as I mentioned I didn’t like the signings. Giving 4 years to 4th liners is absurd. But I don’t mind the players. If they were on one year contracts I’d be pleased

If the team is going to suck, wouldn't you still want to develop the younger players/s?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
If the team is going to suck, wouldn't you still want to develop the younger players/s?
Well that brings up the argument about what’s best for the kids development? Gaunce dislike aside, he is a solid AHL player and he can help prospects that hopefully have a brighter future. Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu etc. But that’s a good question...would players like Gaudette grow their games quicker in the NHL or AHL. Not sure. But I’m glad Hughes went back to college I know that for sure. Getting crushed every game would not be good for the confidence. Hopefully Utica is awesome this year

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Well that brings up the argument about what’s best for the kids development? Gaunce dislike aside, he is a solid AHL player and he can help prospects that hopefully have a brighter future. Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu etc. But that’s a good question...would players like Gaudette grow their games quicker in the NHL or AHL. Not sure. But I’m glad Hughes went back to college I know that for sure. Getting crushed every game would not be good for the confidence. Hopefully Utica is awesome this year

Just seems weather you are a benning guy or not cheering more for Gaunce to be sent down and the as you pointed out, crappy UFA guys to stay is contradictory. I wouldn't want a player not ready to be in the NHL, but a player like Gaunce or Goldy (even if I don't think he deserves it play wise in the preseason) should be in the NHL to see if they can grow.

Just my 2cents

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

A good 4th liner needs to be average at skating, which Gaunce is below average

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Yes but not when the young player is actually not so young anymore and it’s obviously lacking nhl talents

There are 3 zones in hockey and Gaunce is okay in only one zone. Couple years ago he might survive on the 4th line in the nhl. But the modern nhl is different now. I would prefer my 4th liner to skate like....ironically, Sutter.

To me, he’s in the same catergory with Granlund, Gagner and Schaller, players that I won’t blink once even if we lose them for nothing

Last edited:
Reactions: Nucker101

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Exactly.

You know all of a sudden.....Utica ain’t looking too bad. Gaudette, Dahlen, Juolevi, Gaunce, Demko, Lind, Palmu, etc. Perhaps they have a chance at going deep this year?.....and if they do, what type of effect will that have on the kids?

The fans that I’ve seen from Utica on here have always been down on us for providing them with a competitive enough team or enough depth down the middle. Whelp - thou shall ask and thou shall receive.

I will define success for the Canucks this season as follows:

1) Pettersson morphs into an elite superstar center for us at some point this year.

2) Juolevi develops and proves worthy of being a 2nd pairing PMD.

3) Hughes has a monstrous year in college and shows serious signs of becoming a 1st pairing PMD

4) Utica goes deep into the playoffs.

These might be lofty targets, but I think these are well within reach. If these 4 things boxes are checked this year, then I truly believe that we’ll start seeing good things from this team by the time 2020-2021 hits.

Juolevi is going to go from 10th on the depth chart behind guys like Biega, Pouliott etc who are trash, to a serviceable 2nd pairing guy?? Lol. In what world?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yes but not when the young player is actually not so young anymore and it’s obviously lacking nhl talents

There are 3 zones in hockey and Gaunce is okay in only one zone. Couple years ago he might survive on the 4th line in the nhl. But the modern nhl is different now. I would prefer my 4th liner to skate like....ironically, Sutter.

To me, he’s in the same catergory with Granlund, Gagner and Schaller, players that I won’t blink once even if we lose them for nothing

Yet he somehow still produced better results than Beagle and Russel...

It is not that Gaunce is some amazing player, its just that neither are those two. I know less about Schaller, but from the pre season I would put him below as well.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Juolevi is going to go from 10th on the depth chart behind guys like Biega, Pouliott etc who are trash, to a serviceable 2nd pairing guy?? Lol. In what world?

Yes.

It’s entirely possible for a young and talented defenseman to take a significant leap in his game by logging big minutes on the farm.

It’s called player development.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Yes Benning likes to give teams about 45 hours to think about making a claim instead of the traditional 24 hours. He announces that he will place a player on waivers about 3 hours after the deadline to do it on that given day so they don't go on waivers until noon the next day. They did the exact same thing with Bachman and Sautner.

Not that any team is going to claim these guys but why announce it to the world before you need to.

I don't think Benning understands the concept of time zones.Maybe someone should install a clock in his office that shows eastern time so he knows what time it is at NHL head office.

Reactions: UticaHockey

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yet he somehow still produced better results than Beagle and Russel...

It is not that Gaunce is some amazing player, its just that neither are those two. I know less about Schaller, but from the pre season I would put him below as well.

I don't know why Roussel consistently gets lumped in with Beagle other than the fact they were signed by the Canucks at around the same time for the same money. They are different players and have been deployed in different roles. He had a down year last season but prior to that he scored at least 12 goals in his previous 4 seasons. This isn't a player that the advanced stats community dislikes but for some reason, some posters here think Roussel will never put up good advanced stats when in fact he has consistently done so.

Reactions: Nucker101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad