Player Discussion Brendan Smith

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
source.gif

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28131240/inside-brendan-smith-transition-defenseman-forward

A lot of people thought he should be the one to be bought out, but he actually has a role on this team. It's possible that he will play out his contract as a Ranger. I don't think anyone thought that would be the case after he was demoted to Hartford a couple years ago.

It will be interesting to see what happens to him after this contract. He won't get near the same money, obviously, but will some team sign him to be a 13th forward/7th dman? I wouldn't be surprised.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28131240/inside-brendan-smith-transition-defenseman-forward

A lot of people thought he should be the one to be bought out, but he actually has a role on this team. It's possible that he will play out his contract as a Ranger. I don't think anyone thought that would be the case after he was demoted to Hartford a couple years ago.

It will be interesting to see what happens to him after this contract. He won't get near the same money, obviously, but will some team sign him to be a 13th forward/7th dman? I wouldn't be surprised.
I read this on the train this morning. He conveniently leaves out how he came to camp fat as f*** and totally out of shape, and never played his way back into it. Then he says the team struggled, the team didn't play well, he had a "short leash", felt like the Rangers gave up on him, etc. Not exactly holding himself accountable for the situation.

Anyway, beyond that, he clearly has worked hard, whether with Kreider and Prentiss or wherever, and has gotten himself back into NHL shape. I'm really surprised at how well he has made the transition to forward. I know the points aren't there, but I feel like with some better luck he could easily have 3-4 more points. The versatility is nice, he plays with an edge unlike most guys on the team, and he seems to be a good team mate now that the other stuff is behind him. Honestly, if he were making $1.5M per I would consider him an asset. His salary sucks, but at least he brings something to the table.

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I read this on the train this morning. He conveniently leaves out how he came to camp fat as **** and totally out of shape, and never played his way back into it. Then he says the team struggled, the team didn't play well, he had a "short leash", felt like the Rangers gave up on him, etc. Not exactly holding himself accountable for the situation.

Anyway, beyond that, he clearly has worked hard, whether with Kreider and Prentiss or wherever, and has gotten himself back into NHL shape. I'm really surprised at how well he has made the transition to forward. I know the points aren't there, but I feel like with some better luck he could easily have 3-4 more points. The versatility is nice, he plays with an edge unlike most guys on the team, and he seems to be a good team mate now that the other stuff is behind him. Honestly, if he were making $1.5M per I would consider him an asset. His salary sucks, but at least he brings something to the table.

I didn't read that as him blaming the team, but more as how it felt at the time, which I can understand. Yeah, he is absolutely to blame for not being in shape and getting demoted. Good on him though for finding a way to salvage his career, and good on the Rangers for finding a way to get at least some value out of that contract.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I didn't read that as him blaming the team, but more as how it felt at the time, which I can understand. Yeah, he is absolutely to blame for not being in shape and getting demoted. Good on him though for finding a way to salvage his career, and good on the Rangers for finding a way to get at least some value out of that contract.
Yeah I don't think he was necessarily blaming the team, I just would have expected him to make mention of being out of shape and then facing an uphill battle. I was a bit surprised he didn't mention anything on his end.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
since he's not a D anymore people are not as hard on him because him sucking is less noticeable when he's playing 4RW than if he was playing D. But he still sucks. He's useless, still takes dumb penalties, cost Hank a shutout last game, and he just doesn't do anything well. Totally useless player and Gortons worst move(s) were trading for this guy and giving him a 4 year deal.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I read this on the train this morning. He conveniently leaves out how he came to camp fat as **** and totally out of shape, and never played his way back into it. Then he says the team struggled, the team didn't play well, he had a "short leash", felt like the Rangers gave up on him, etc. Not exactly holding himself accountable for the situation.

In fairness, it could also be the way the reporter approached the article.

It's not done maliciously, but a reporter will focus on an aspect of a story they want to highlight and it can change the entire tone of how it reads.

In this case, the reporter went for more of a Phoenix-rising approach.

The reality is that the current arrangement is more about salvaging what we can than celebrating a triumph. But that doesn't necessarily make for an interesting read.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In fairness, it could also be the way the reporter approached the article.

It's not maliciously, but a reporter will focus on an aspect of a story they want to highlight and it can change the entire tone of how it reads.

In this case, the reporter went for more of a Phoenix-rising approach.

The reality is that the current arrangement is more about salvaging what we can than celebrating a triumph. But that doesn't necessarily make for an interesting read.
Fair point, I did consider that it was mentioned but left out. I figured, however, that what WAS said would make it unlikely that Smith went into his own failings.

I like stories about guys who were well-situated, blew it, and then came back from the brink. America, we love building people up, but not as much as we love tearing them down. I also like to see the rebound. :laugh:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not exactly breaking news, but I am very happy with Smith. He took a bad situation and worked hard and the team got a little creative moving him to forward and it has been good. It’s nice to see them making lemonade out of lemons.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Just a few more months of a $4,35m cap hit until his contract is up. He's been good for about 10% of his contract length - if even that. Just another absolutely awful, terrible signing by upper management. Could he even carry his contract for one season? Good riddance when that contract is gone.

At least he could fill in as a non-productive winger sometimes. Yeah, I'm trying to stay positive here.

As an example: I remember looking at these highlights for the first time, realizing Smith was on the ice. I immediately had a bad feeling in my gut. I also remember saying to myself: "Oh shit, he's going to f*** it up somehow." I started tracking his act and, well... low and behold, 5 seconds later, it's a goal against. Smith fumbling to make a block, failing and screening his own goalie in the process.

To his defense, he hasn't been worse than neither Girardi nor Staal when they fell off a cliff, he's actually a more mobile-, slightly more skilled version than them. Not a player you want on a modern, successful team unless as a 6th/7th D instead of an absolute carcass like Johnson at minimal money.

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Got to be honest. If after his contract expired, he was willing to come back at that price range to reprise the role that he is playing now, I would have no issue with bringing him back.

I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago. I have no issue with something like the above either.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago. I have no issue with something like the above either.
@750k or so as 6th/7th D I have no problems with his role. At $4,5m he's a disaster. Zibanejad @5,3m has received heavy criticism for his performance. Then you have guys like Smith at just slightly less of a current salary. At least Smith can still skate, compared to some other gliding outhouses with hands of stone who've been paid even more on the NYR blueline in recent memory. Some bought out, some thankfully traded.

If the choice is between Smith or Johnson, the choice is pretty much automatic to choose Smith. With proper salary at a proper role, I also have no issue with bringing him back. It's his current contract that is absolutely terrible.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I read this on the train this morning. He conveniently leaves out how he came to camp fat as f*** and totally out of shape, and never played his way back into it. Then he says the team struggled, the team didn't play well, he had a "short leash", felt like the Rangers gave up on him, etc. Not exactly holding himself accountable for the situation.

Smith also seems like literally the best teammate ever.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
@750k or so as 6th/7th D I have no problems with his role. At $4,5m he's a disaster. Zibanejad @5,3m has received heavy criticism for his performance. Then you have guys like Smith at just slightly less of a current salary. At least Smith can still skate, compared to some other gliding outhouses with hands of stone who've been paid even more on the NYR blueline in recent memory. Some bought out, some thankfully traded.

If the choice is between Smith or Johnson, the choice is pretty much automatic to choose Smith. With proper salary at a proper role, I also have no issue with bringing him back. It's his current contract that is absolutely terrible.
Johnson is irrelevant to this conversation. Smith is not. And no one is talking about him at $4.5. But I highly doubt that $750 would be the take. You are talking about a solid # 6 defenseman. This season has shown that he would not be out of place on the third pairing of most teams. That usually has 6 zeroes behind it. Again, no one is talking at the range that he is currently being paid, but one at which his play this year has reflected. And that is not under a million. He will get more than that on the open market. This is not Johnson all over again.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
so any chance we get some pick for him with 50% retained? I like his physical play, but he is gone after this season anyway so why not play Reunanen?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Holy shit has he really drawn 43 PIM this season? That must include Majors because the next-highest is Buch with 19 PIM Drawn. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad