Player Discussion Brendan Smith

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I would bring Smith back after his UFA on a cheaper deal short term deal 2 years max 1.5 per. one of the few old warrior types left. willing to drop the gloves and do whatever the team has asked. has not complained to the media despite his bad summer during those weddings and took responsibility for it, when in Hartford showed he was a pro and has not sulked.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Smith would be one of those guys who would bring some much needed versatility and cost effectiveness to any team if he was making ~$1.25m as he could be both a 13th forward AND a 7th defensemen. In a tight cap world that's valuable

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Smith would be one of those guys who would bring some much needed versatility and cost effectiveness to any team if he was making ~$1.25m as he could be both a 13th forward AND a 7th defensemen. In a tight cap world that's valuable
I would bring him back in that role and not as the 13th forward, but the 12th and have him continue to be the 7th defenseman who can and does PK during games.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Sorry I don’t recall what you are referring to when posting in a Brendan Smith thread. Was I some huge Smith advocate? Because I know I was not.

Yeah, no. You told me, I should never post again in the roster building thread, because I put Smith in the line up as FWD, specially on the 3rd line.

Now he did play there, and will keeping FWD. Just wanted to see, what you think now. ;)

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yeah, no. You told me, I should never post again in the roster building thread, because I put Smith in the line up as FWD, specially on the 3rd line.

Now he did play there, and will keeping FWD. Just wanted to see, what you think now. ;)
Just because he is playing doesn’t mean he should be playing there. If anything he should be on the 4th line until someone can displace him but unfortunately we dont have anyone at the moment to do so. McKegg should be in there over him but DQ has an infatuation with Smith for some reason. He loves that he can put him on D for the PK but that is not enough reasoning for him to be in the lineup. He has terrible hands and is slow on the forecheck. McKegg can do a better job and with time we could have a winger emerge from Hartford with how well they have played under Knoblauch.

To come here and claim how right you were is so incredibly foolish and naive.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
To come here and claim how right you were is so incredibly foolish and naive.

lmao, aren't you a lovely person. I never claimed I was right, I was just looking if you had changed your opinion, but seems more of a personality issue here.

The only thing foolish and naive, was only to think you may reconsider your position.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
lmao, aren't you a lovely person. I never claimed I was right, I was just looking if you had changed your opinion, but seems more of a personality issue here.

The only thing foolish and naive, was only to think you may reconsider your position.
I provided you with a whole response of feedback on the Smith front and the surrounding factors that could change things soon because he is quite terrible as a forward and an NHLer in general.

And yet that was the only part of the post you decided to respond to. Its clear nothing has changed with you, who is building his defense for Brendan f***ing Smith...

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Maybe--but to me someone like Tim Gettinger is tailor made for a bottom 6 role and he's never going to be a top 6. Gettinger could be a very effective 4th liner ala a kind of Brian Boyle for the wing. That's the kind of player that would push Smith out of job. Gettinger has great size, pretty good skating, can play a physical game, has great reach and those qualities could add up to a really good 4th line/penalty killer who could put up 20 points a year.

As far as Smith's switching ability from forward to D---we have such a glut of promising young defensemen that I'd rather not just let them all wallow in the AHL for the sake of a 30-something year old. It's useful his being able to switch but I wouldn't be holding up the progress of our prospects for that kind of a tradeoff.

So if we're resigning Brendan Smith--it's a temporary thing. 1 year--$1 mil and if we're not it's because our prospects are ready to push him out.
I like the idea of Gettinger. He seemed to play full speed every shift he was up with the rangers. I also like smith.

Reactions: eco's bones

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'm alright for resigning Smith in two years if he's still playing well.....but also 1 year at a time and low cap.
Yep. We need vets. Not necessarily pricey ones though. But I’d be cool with Smith and Fast and even Strome if he’s willing be a - god forbid - $1.5m bottom sixer. What a world :)

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
There’s no one on the current roster I want gone, come to think of it. That’s a first for me. Even Staal. I want him to be the 7th D. But I don’t want him gone. Even Haley, he plays every shift as if it were his last. I love that.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Umm.... I do not really think that you can compare Strome to Smith and Fast. Strome is showing a lot more.

Strome isn't always very good at keeping up with his linemates--10 points in 10 games though is pretty good. If he can hit 50 points this year as a 2c that ain't bad. He's got good offensive instincts even if his feet are a little slow. He's one of those guys you don't notice very much but still manage to get their name on the scoresheet.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There’s no one on the current roster I want gone, come to think of it. That’s a first for me. Even Staal. I want him to be the 7th D. But I don’t want him gone. Even Haley, he plays every shift as if it were his last. I love that.

Haley shouldn't be an every game player but he comes in handy against heavier teams. I don't throw around the world 'fearless' very often but he's pretty much a definition of that word. His competition for 12th forward is Greg McKegg and McKegg to me is borderline too. If we had someone better than McKegg I might want that player in the lineup more than Haley but I prefer Haley's 5-7 minutes over McKegg's 7-9 minutes.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
He had been playing out of position for 7 years.
source.gif

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Haley shouldn't be an every game player but he comes in handy against heavier teams. I don't throw around the world 'fearless' very often but he's pretty much a definition of that word. His competition for 12th forward is Greg McKegg and McKegg to me is borderline too. If we had someone better than McKegg I might want that player in the lineup more than Haley but I prefer Haley's 5-7 minutes over McKegg's 7-9 minutes.
I don’t dislike McKegg at all. He’s way better than the Pyatts and McLeods and Glasses we’ve seen recently. But I totally agree on Haley. He is a real Comet. That should be his nickname, actually.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I like McKegg's hustle and speed in chasing down pucks. But he has a knack for following that up by falling down, over-stickhandling, or, once again, falling down.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
McKegg should be in there over him but DQ has an infatuation with Smith for some reason. He loves that he can put him on D for the PK but that is not enough reasoning for him to be in the lineup. He has terrible hands and is slow on the forecheck. McKegg can do a better job and with time we could have a winger emerge from Hartford with how well they have played under Knoblauch.

McKegg hustles, but Smith has been flat out better. Smith is more physical, better on the boards, more willing to go to the dirty areas, and has been more productive. The fact that Quinn can put Smith on defense, both at 5v5 and on the PK, when necessary, is a bonus. A significant bonus, when you consider that we have 3 rookie dmen in the lineup (when Lindgren plays).

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I am more than fine having Haley and Smith flank whomever on the 4th line

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Strome isn't always very good at keeping up with his linemates--10 points in 10 games though is pretty good. If he can hit 50 points this year as a 2c that ain't bad. He's got good offensive instincts even if his feet are a little slow. He's one of those guys you don't notice very much but still manage to get their name on the scoresheet.
He is getting his name on the scoresheet now and every since he came to NY. The center/wing versatility is great. Sometimes a player needs a change. He changes his team, changed his game got comfort and confidence and dare I say a coach to whom he responds to.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like McKegg's hustle and speed in chasing down pucks. But he has a knack for following that up by falling down, over-stickhandling, or, once again, falling down.

To me McKegg is Paul Carey all over again. He's not terrible but you're going to get very limited offense and average defensive play out of him. McKegg forechecks and pressures well enough but he's not what I'd call a heavy hitter or more than average penalty killer.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I would like to see what Staal can do as a forward. Would be interesting to see, maybe he is also a better forward than Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->