Player Discussion Brendan Smith

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
So...after four games, Brendan Smith has arguably been the Rangers best defenseman. (I know what you are thinking, cream of the crap) Irregrdless, he has been assertive, somewhat dependable and certainly a much better player than we saw a year ago.

Now what happens before we try to monetize this asset? Is there a trade market there?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
If he keeps this up all season then friggin holden netted a 3rd so...

Liking those odds. If he's a good leader, having learned from last year, then I'd rather keep him if we cant get a 1st or a 2nd+ (or a prospe t around that value). It's good to have a few vets around

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So...after four games, Brendan Smith has arguably been the Rangers best defenseman. (I know what you are thinking, cream of the crap) Irregrdless, he has been assertive, somewhat dependable and certainly a much better player than we saw a year ago.

Now what happens before we try to monetize this asset? Is there a trade market there?
I'd think there's a market, somewhat limited because he has multiple years left. Maybe with some retention you could get a decent return.

He has been good, though. I'm happy to keep him since he's versatile in that he can play on the right, so he's not as much of an impediment as he would be if he could only play one side.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Toronto got lots of cap space, looking to trade Nylander, need a Dman, and Babcock used to coach Smith in Detroit so I think the stars are aligning for this to happen. Of course Gorton will mess it up.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto got lots of cap space, looking to trade Nylander, need a Dman, and Babcock used to coach Smith in Detroit so I think the stars are aligning for this to happen. Of course Gorton will mess it up.

You are stating it as fact, and when the trade doesn't happen it's somehow Gorton's fault :laugh:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think this is the most recent thread regarding #42...?

Am I the only one who thinks he's been really quite good in his newfound role so far this year?
I think he's been pretty good. If he made like $1.5M or something I'd be happy to have him around, given that he can adequately play forward or defense, and play both sides on defense. His contract sucks but hopefully he can keep it up and prove to still be somewhat useful.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
It was great when they focused on him on the bench and a box popped up saying he had played 27 minutes in the game already (it was a bit more than halfway done).

Reactions: nyr2k2

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Am I the only one who thinks he's been really quite good in his newfound role so far this year?

honestly I thought he wasn't bad in every season with us, including one where they sent him to Hartford. I also don't mind him playing forward or Dman.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Smith.

I expect this too will pass.
Not necessarily. He has been essentially playing two roles, 4th line wing and a PK defenseman. His actual time playing D has been highly reduced by that fact. I actually believe that he can play such a role all year and be fine. This is about what I expected. Now if an injury occurs and instead of calling up a Lindgren, they choose to insert Smith back into the top-6, there is when the regression can occur.

Reactions: egelband

Deleted member 23124

I thought his play would improve once Chewy was gone....

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Not necessarily. He has been essentially playing two roles, 4th line wing and a PK defenseman. His actual time playing D has been highly reduced by that fact. I actually believe that he can play such a role all year and be fine. This is about what I expected. Now if an injury occurs and instead of calling up a Lindgren, they choose to insert Smith back into the top-6, there is when the regression can occur.

I assume you mean defensemen but that portion of your sentence made my eyes bleed.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Let’s bump this cause he’s been surprisingly well at forward to start the year. I’d like to see him mix it up a little more and show his tenacity like he use to in the old days with Detroit

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I think the dude's been straight-up awesome. Nothing about his play indicates to me a hot start, I just think he fits better at forward.

Leads team in 5v5 Hits, one of the few players with a positive xGF%. On the PK he has a 20.45 FF%, 2.04 GA/60, both first.

He brings energy and enthusiasm every night and is able to get things going north-south on the occasions when the rest of the team is trying 500 cross-ice passes.

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Let’s bump this cause he’s been surprisingly well at forward to start the year. I’d like to see him mix it up a little more and show his tenacity like he use to in the old days with Detroit
Bad idea to me. It could lead to lack of discipline and a parade to the box like his olden days. What he's doing now is solid, no need to tinker.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
if he keeps this up i have no problem bringing him back at the end of his deal (for less cap, of course....)

By then he'll be 32. If we're signing him as a 4th liner/6-7 D--I wouldn't go over $1 mil. I would also hope that some of our young players will have improved significantly by then and some more of our prospects are in the mix.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
By then he'll be 32. If we're signing him as a 4th liner/6-7 D--I wouldn't go over $1 mil. I would also hope that some of our young players will have improved significantly by then and some more of our prospects are in the mix.
Yes, but he’s not blocking anyone of consequence if he’s playing 4th line minutes and serving as the emergency D. And actually, is providing real value. In fact, that can be a great leadership role: “let me tell you youngins, I thought I was all that, signed a big contract, went out and partied... and I was almost out of the league. But worked my tail off, played wherever they told me to play...” etc., etc.

That said, I do agree you don’t overpay for that role if you decide to bring him back.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yes, but he’s not blocking anyone of consequence if he’s playing 4th line minutes and serving as the emergency D. And actually, is providing real value. In fact, that can be a great leadership role: “let me tell you youngins, I thought I was all that, signed a big contract, went out and partied... and I was almost out of the league. But worked my tail off, played wherever they told me to play...” etc., etc.

That said, I do agree you don’t overpay for that role if you decide to bring him back.

Maybe--but to me someone like Tim Gettinger is tailor made for a bottom 6 role and he's never going to be a top 6. Gettinger could be a very effective 4th liner ala a kind of Brian Boyle for the wing. That's the kind of player that would push Smith out of job. Gettinger has great size, pretty good skating, can play a physical game, has great reach and those qualities could add up to a really good 4th line/penalty killer who could put up 20 points a year.

As far as Smith's switching ability from forward to D---we have such a glut of promising young defensemen that I'd rather not just let them all wallow in the AHL for the sake of a 30-something year old. It's useful his being able to switch but I wouldn't be holding up the progress of our prospects for that kind of a tradeoff.

So if we're resigning Brendan Smith--it's a temporary thing. 1 year--$1 mil and if we're not it's because our prospects are ready to push him out.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->