Player Discussion Brendan Smith

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think so. He has been poor this year but he also has skill and grit. He just needs to get himself together.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
He's having a "down" year but wasn't he advertised as someone who frustrates during the regular season because he's so solid in the playoffs.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I don’t recall him being advertised as someone who is frustrating because he is so good in the playoffs. I distinctly remember him simply being advertised as frustrating. Red Wings fans were very honest about Smith. As far as him being a “playoff warrior”, he had a nice playoffs for us last year when he was reinvigorated playing for a new team for the first time in his career, in a huge contract year post season for him. He has never had, nor earned, the reputation of a playoff warrior. He is exactly what he is. A mediocre 4-6 spot Dman who got overpaid on a contract that is about a year too long and 1M per too rich.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He looked to be pretty out of shape to start the season. That kind of put him behind the eight ball. He looks to be in better shape now but still has some mental hiccups. I really appreciated him knocking down Reeves last night then taking on their other monster. Interesting that a team like Pitt can skate two monsters on their team.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, I`ve been one of the Smith`s biggest critics on this forum hence my low rating first half of this season, but the way he played last game was very impressive both physical, and he finished his checks and created energy with that fight, and scored us a goal. He should get back his 2nd pairing role with Skjei - he looks motivated again and it`s promising for us.

And when Ryan Mc. is back he should play with Shattenkirk to cover part of his defensive softness.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
He looked to be pretty out of shape to start the season. That kind of put him behind the eight ball. He looks to be in better shape now but still has some mental hiccups. I really appreciated him knocking down Reeves last night then taking on their other monster. Interesting that a team like Pitt can skate two monsters on their team.
I was of the thinking Smith would have to fight both of those monsters at the same time....like who was there to help ? I had a terrible feeling about Smith and Usain Bolt Reeves .

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wish more Rangers would play with a fire to stick up for their teammates like Smith does. It was something he provided this team towards the end of last year too. He plays with an intensity, when on his game, that this team and organization lacks in general.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I wish more Rangers would play with a fire to stick up for their teammates like Smith does. It was something he provided this team towards the end of last year too. He plays with an intensity, when on his game, that this team and organization lacks in general.

if Dagoon is right, and AV is legit about reducing guys ice time because they fight, then we'll probably see Smith scratched next game.

Again, please fire this f***er. There is no time left. Unless Gorton is using AV to inadvertently tank the year away

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
if Dagoon is right, and AV is legit about reducing guys ice time because they fight, then we'll probably see Smith scratched next game.

Again, please fire this ****er. There is no time left. Unless Gorton is using AV to inadvertently tank the year away

You are smarter than to believe everything people on this board say. Lets look at two of the most popular fan "beliefs".

1. AV will bench or scratch guys if the fight.

2. AV loves Tanner Glass (who fights)

Do you see what I'm getting at?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
You are smarter than to believe everything people on this board say. Lets look at two of the most popular fan "beliefs".

1. AV will bench or scratch guys if the fight.

2. AV loves Tanner Glass (who fights)

Do you see what I'm getting at?

You've got Dagoon saying the same thing--someone who has actual sources.

I'm not saying I want a team of goons here, but to flush out any sort of physicality is ridiculous. This team is EASY to play against, and that's very bad.

Also glass doesn't fight. He hits, and only hits. He gives up on the puck to hit.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You've got Dagoon saying the same thing--someone who has actual sources.

I'm not saying I want a team of goons here, but to flush out any sort of physicality is ridiculous. This team is EASY to play against, and that's very bad.

Also glass doesn't fight. He hits, and only hits. He gives up on the puck to hit.

1. I want us to be more physical.

2. Glass led our team in fights the last 3 years.
Glass had 22 fights for us.

Saying AV will bench anyone that fights and AV loves Tanner Glass is pretty close to a direct contradiction.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Reaves was yelling over at the Rangers bench. When a guy like that does it he's not saying nice things and he's directly challenging each and every player on the team. Someone has to respond because guys start looking at each other. So it was a good thing when Smith stepped up to the challenge and crushed him with that hit--but Smith was going to have to fight then and he wound up with Oleksiak who is really good at it too. Smith would have been way overmatched with either of them. Not a good situation for Smith to be in but it shows he doesn't back down. If it's me Smith would be in the lineup for a while after that.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Reaves was yelling over at the Rangers bench. When a guy like that does it he's not saying nice things and he's directly challenging each and every player on the team. Someone has to respond because guys start looking at each other. So it was a good thing when Smith stepped up to the challenge and crushed him with that hit--but Smith was going to have to fight then and he wound up with Oleksiak who is really good at it too. Smith would have been way overmatched with either of them. Not a good situation for Smith to be in but it shows he doesn't back down. If it's me Smith would be in the lineup for a while after that.
Smith is the only guy on our team that would have taken on Reeves. I respect him for stepping up like he did.

Reactions: Ori and eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Smith is the only guy on our team that would have taken on Reeves. I respect him for stepping up like he did.

I agree. I don't think anyone else would have done that. I don't think Kreider would have done it either if he had been in the lineup. For the most part our guys tiptoe around players like Lucic, Martin, Reaves and Wilson. Most players are like that--which is why teams still employ guys that can intimidate--the intimidation thing is only half their job--the other half is making sure their own teammates feel safe. Kevin Klein was another who would have stepped up like Smith did. It takes real courage to get into a fight with someone you have almost no chance against.

Reactions: Ori and NickyFotiu

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I don’t recall him being advertised as someone who is frustrating because he is so good in the playoffs. I distinctly remember him simply being advertised as frustrating. Red Wings fans were very honest about Smith. As far as him being a “playoff warrior”, he had a nice playoffs for us last year when he was reinvigorated playing for a new team for the first time in his career, in a huge contract year post season for him. He has never had, nor earned, the reputation of a playoff warrior. He is exactly what he is. A mediocre 4-6 spot Dman who got overpaid on a contract that is about a year too long and 1M per too rich.
I was just coming here to read some opinions on how you guys think Smith is doing, and I can confirm this.

It was far from the fact that he was a "playoff warrior". It was that he had a stretch of THREE playoff games that he actually looked like a top-4 defenseman, which left us asking why he was so terrible the other 300 games of his career... but three games does not earn you any sort of a title

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Smith doesn't know it but today is the first day in his life he's going to have to figure out how to explain to a toddler that THIS IS A BUSINESS, NOLAN, WE HAVE TO LIVE IN HARTFORD NOW DEAL WITH IT. ENJOY MY MILLIONS YOU SPOILED BRAT AND SUCK IT UP.

Hahahahahaha. That post aimed at Nash was the worst ever.

Reactions: NYR1967

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad