Brendan Smith vs. Jon Merrill vs. Travis Hamonic

Strong Island

Jun 6, 2004
Long Island, NY
Good point. :)

It really is a reach to speculate about the careers of these three players, given that the "veteran" of the group hasn't even played a full NHL season. Of course, speculation is part of what makes this fun.

Personally, I can only speak to what I've actually seen and I haven't seen two of the players. Having seen Hamonic, there is much reason for NYI fans to be optimistic. To be sure, he is far from a finished product, but the talent is clearly here. Off the top of my head (only) I see a bit of Tim Gleason in him, which is meant as a huge compliment.

In terms of style Gleason seems to be a good comparison, but Hamonic is way more offensively talented then Gleason. I disagree about the finished product part. He always came off as very polished every time I was able to watch him with the Islanders (including his first NHL game ever).

I'm not sure if Hamonic's overall upside is as lofty as Smith's and Merrill's, but I could definitely see him as an all situations #2 for a long long time.

Oroku Saki*

All three of them are really good hockey players. I'm having a hard time deciding who should be first. It's really just your personal preference. I obviously like Merill as a Devils fan but I'm also a big Hamonic fan. I haven't seen Smith enough to really form an opinion.

Fugu

How can you compare to players only on ppg? You have look in what collegiate league they played in, their role on the team, 2-way play, number of games etc.

Merrill maintained that through double as many games, being uncontested #1 d-man on a team (He had some flaws defensively, but was easily well ahead of Smith at that age in 2-way play) that made it to the finals. He was nominated for top offensive and defensive d-men in the CCHA and was voted top D-men on the US U20s.

If Merrill had the same freshmen year as Smith we wouldn't be having this discussion. Smith really shined the passed couple years though, and I am not sure if Merrill will keep on improving on his current pace, so I think that we will have to wait and see who ends up better.

Smith was injured that year, hence only half the games. It's tough to compare them head to head then.

RWC:
Went down with a bulging disc in his back on Jan. 11 and missed almost three months.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
In terms of style Gleason seems to be a good comparison, but Hamonic is way more offensively talented then Gleason. I disagree about the finished product part. He always came off as very polished every time I was able to watch him with the Islanders (including his first NHL game ever).

I'm not sure if Hamonic's overall upside is as lofty as Smith's and Merrill's, but I could definitely see him as an all situations #2 for a long long time.

When Tim Gleason was drafted, he too came in with major offensive skills. They did not translate into the NHL. I'm dubious if in fact Hamonic will be a significant offensive player (some here are alloting him 50 point seasons in the future; that is a high total for today's NHL dman.) And while I agree that Hamonic can become a solid top pairing dman on a winning team, Gleason is an established #2 NHL dman. So I think you may be selling him a bit short.

Separately, you think Hamonic is a finished product, meaning that he does not have clear areas in which improvement is required? Wow. Let's just agree that we will be filing a different scouting report. :)

(And if he is a finished product, he may be the very first rookie NHL dman in the history of the league who could make that claim.)

Darius Dangleaitis

Padowan Kovalchuk
Jul 31, 2006
Morristown, NJ
I'll go on the fact that the Devils have no clue how to draft players, especially defenseman unless it's in the top 5. So until I see Merrill play in the NHL, I'm not going to be impressed. Smith simply because the Red Wings basically are a lock to develop any prospect with a high talent level.

I'll also go on the fact that a lot of high draft picks that play at Michigan, simply don't turn out to be what teams thought they would be when they drafted them.

Holy cow

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
I think looking at Hamonic I am looking for a player in the mold of Adrian Aucoin as his ceiling. He has a similar build, is defensive oriented defenseman and possesses a cannon of a shot. Hopefully Hamonic can develop into that type of player

Strong Island

Jun 6, 2004
Long Island, NY
When Tim Gleason was drafted, he too came in with major offensive skills. They did not translate into the NHL. I'm dubious if in fact Hamonic will be a significant offensive player (some here are alloting him 50 point seasons in the future; that is a high total for today's NHL dman.) And while I agree that Hamonic can become a solid top pairing dman on a winning team, Gleason is an established #2 NHL dman. So I think you may be selling him a bit short.

Yeah, I do remember many people disappointed with Gleason's AHL production during the lockout year. I like Gleason too, but I think you're overrating his value a bit. In terms of value he's been pretty similar to someone like Colin White over the last few years. Hamonic has arguably surpassed that as a 20 year old.

Separately, you think Hamonic is a finished product, meaning that he does not have clear areas in which improvement is required? Wow. Let's just agree that we will be filing a different scouting report. :)

(And if he is a finished product, he may be the very first rookie NHL dman in the history of the league who could make that claim.)

No I didn't mean that he was a finished product, rather just more of a finished product than the other two prospects in the thread topic.

Either way it's not unprecedented that a defenseman holds basically the same value from his rookie year through his prime. Look at someone like Paul Martin. He was very polished his rookie year, and although he obviously garnered a bigger role with his team(s) as he developed, he has been basically the same defenseman as he was his rookie year. I could definitely see the same thing happening with Hamonic (and that's most definitely a compliment!).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad