Brendan Smith vs. Jon Merrill vs. Travis Hamonic

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Marshal Rochambeau, Sep 8, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Marshal Rochambeau

Marshal Rochambeau Send it

Student
    Who will be the best defensively, put up the most points, and be the best overall.

2. Robbler

Robbler #FireHolland

Smith

3. Hale The Villain

Hale The Villain Registered User

Hamonic
    Smith
    Merill

4. hamonic will be atleast a poor mans shea weber

5. jgthibault

jgthibault Registered User

I'm a Merrill fan so

Merrill
    Hamonic
    Smith

6. MoreGore

MoreGore Registered User

HF has these three ranked with 10 to 11 spots of each other in their top 50 list. So picking between them is pretty tough.

7. BeastoftheEast85

BeastoftheEast85 Registered User

Merrill is 2 to 3 years younger than both of them so he is a little hard to compare. He is ahead of where the other 2 were when they were his age, but Hamonic looked excellent in the NHL, and Smith looks wicked offensively.

Overall I would take em

Hamonic

then it is a toss up between
    Merrill or Smith (I like Merrill's 2-way game a little better so I would probably give him the slight

But any of these guys could end up being the best of the bunch; can't really say now.

8. Anchor Town*

Anchor Town* Guest

How is Merrill ahead of where Smith was at the same age? They both put up the same PPG as freshman

9. BeastoftheEast85

How can you compare to players only on ppg? You have look in what collegiate league they played in, their role on the team, 2-way play, number of games etc.

Merrill maintained that through double as many games, being uncontested #1 d-man on a team (He had some flaws defensively, but was easily well ahead of Smith at that age in 2-way play) that made it to the finals. He was nominated for top offensive and defensive d-men in the CCHA and was voted top D-men on the US U20s.

If Merrill had the same freshmen year as Smith we wouldn't be having this discussion. Smith really shined the passed couple years though, and I am not sure if Merrill will keep on improving on his current pace, so I think that we will have to wait and see who ends up better.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  10. ManByng

ManByng It's Me OilTastic

building manager
    Jon Merrill.

11. newfy

newfy Registered User

Offensively I'm going to take Smith. He has his defensive flaws but he is an offensive machine. He has all the tools that translate to the NHL, speed, hands, good vision and a booming shot.

Defensively I'm taking Hamonic. I just like him as a player, hes tough and when the other guy is on his ass its a lot easier to defend against him.

I dunno for Merrill I just dont see it, it might be unfair because hes a lot further behind in his development though.

Overall I'm thinking maybe an edge to Hamonic but its hard to argue against Smith, he has a physical game that rivals that of Hamonic which is a really underrated part to his game.

Picture a tougher al around Kronwall. Smith will lay the open ice hit like Kronwall, but will also drop the gloves and stick guys. Hes a really nasty player.

Either way I would say these are 3 guys who have top pairing potential

12. BluechipBulletin

BluechipBulletin Registered User

Home Page:
    Basically, if you've seen Merrill, then it's obviously Merrill. If not, then you probably prefer Smith. Both are a considerable distance ahead of Hamonic in terms of potential.

13. I'll go on the fact that the Devils have no clue how to draft players, especially defenseman unless it's in the top 5. So until I see Merrill play in the NHL, I'm not going to be impressed. Smith simply because the Red Wings basically are a lock to develop any prospect with a high talent level.

I'll also go on the fact that a lot of high draft picks that play at Michigan, simply don't turn out to be what teams thought they would be when they drafted them.

14. ginnungagap

ginnungagap Registered User

Home Page:
    Caught you Dean Lombardi!- you know you're gonna make Jack Johnson mad again.

15. BH4991

BH4991 Registered User

:shakehead
    Its obvious you have never watched Hamonic.

16. msv957

msv957 Registered User

I think Hamonic is being overrated on HF. He looks to be a future top 4 NHL defenseman who can chip in 25-35 points per season while playing good defense. I don't see first pairing or All star potential that has been mentioned.

17. Trottier

Trottier Very Random

Marketing Executive
    Home Page:
    Yep, Zajac, Parise, Josefson, Tedenby....all within the last several years. Not to mention Bergfors, who was required to make the Kovalchuk trade.

Based on that, one can only conclude that you were born after these events took place (meaning 2010) or, once again, we are being subjected to the delightful delusionals of a red, white and blue pajama wearer.

Or both.

18. Marshal Rochambeau

Marshal Rochambeau Send it

Student
    I have not heard Hamonic described in this way. Can you offer us why you think he does not have first pairing potential?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  19. Toquitoes

Toquitoes Devils.

Pharmacist
    Hugh Jessiman vs. Zach Parise.

20. boredmale

boredmale Registered User Sponsor

Last season Hamonic had 26 points in 62 games(which would prorate to 34 over 82 games), so you basically think his potential for offense will level out or get worse as he gets older then? Kind of sucks to have a career year at 20.

21. newfy

newfy Registered User

I think Hamonic has that potential for sure, I'm not going be one of those guys who just says "Oh my teams prospect blah blah blah".

I dont think Hamonic will be the offensive catalyst of a first line however. He will be more of a complimentary shut down type to a strong offensive type. I dont see him being a guy that should be a good teams go to offensive defenseman.

Smith (definitely) and Merrill (had a good year but still young) are showing development towards being those big go to offensive guys, who you could pair with a guy like Hamonic.

As a wings fan though, Smiths combination of offense and toughness makes me say I wouldnt trade him for the other 2. Kronwall is a game changer offensively and physically and thats exactly what Smith will be, as well as momentum changing fights

22. boredmale

boredmale Registered User Sponsor

Hamonic is the type of guy who does a bit of everything and probably will get 40+ points going up against the other teams top lines

Kronwall has broke 40 points once(51 in 2010/11) and had another season where if he wasn't injured he most likely could have broke 40 points(35 points in 65 games). if that is your definition of "game changer offensively" then Hamonic should be around that level in a few years

23. CerebralGenesis

CerebralGenesis Registered User

Hamonic seems to be devloping into a very solid dman.

I really don't see Merrill becoming that category of big shutdown and chip in points kind of guy though. He will need to be more positionally based and a solid distributor.

Haven't seen much of Smith.

24. SPORTSMANIAC

SPORTSMANIAC Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Michigan plays in the CCHA

25. BeastoftheEast85

My mistake, I guess I was thinking about Smith when I wrote that.