Rumor: Brendan Smith lost 21 Pounds

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Is there a drinking game for every time Micheletti mentions this factoid yet?

I hope those taking part in it have EMS on speed dial.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I agree with the above poster and am embarrassed for him for what he did last year.

Having said that he was the best player on the ice last night imo.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
On one hand it is ridiculous we now have multiple pages on this

On the other hand it is hilarious

On the other other hand, this kind of posting will encapsulate our season

Reactions: haveandare

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Clearly Brendan Smith is sustaining himself on a diet of eating lightning and crapping thunder.

He's going to be able to eat nails. He's going to become a very dangerous poy'son.

"Yo Quinn...I ain’t chasing no chicken.."

"Cut me Quinn!"

—-> Smith wins 2019 Conn Smythe during Rangers 5th Stanley cup victory.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Too many doughnuts....

Early Avatar HF:Ranger ideas pls...

make_the_donuts.jpg

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The thing I thought was interesting was that Babcock, when Smith and he were in Detroit, was pushing him to GAIN weight. He wanted Smith to plat at ~220lbs or so. Smith is ~195lbs to start this season. So if he lost ~21lbs from the beginning of last season, that means he was ~216lbs to start last year (still under what Babcock was hoping Smith would play at back when he was breaking into the league). It sounds like he may have been working on bulking up a bit too much. Often times players will concentrate on certain things to concentrate on in an off-season and they can yield poor results on the ice. That's a strong possibility with Smith on top of a busy summer.

The game is continually getting faster an Smith is getting older. Nash had to do the same thing as he reached his 30's. He mentioned it a few times that he had to keep his weight down in order to keep up with the speed of the game. It's an interesting change as when these guys entered the league, it wasn't as fast and size was still needed moreso with some of the larger forwards. Many of those guys are gone now.

@ 6'2, 195lbs, Smith is much leaner to start this year.

I'm not making excuses for Smith, it's possible he was not in top-shape to begin last year, but in saying that, it's just as possible that he trained incorrectly and added weight in the wrong areas which left him a step behind an ever-increasingly fast paced style of play.

I'm hoping he can continue to play well for this team because he is quietly a very effective defensive defenseman who can help move the puck in the right direction and add some swagger to the back-end.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00