Brendan Shanahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
As a Shanahan I hope he makes it.

As a Wings fan I hope he get a few weeks of rest physically and mentally.

In the end I don't think he'll make it

P.S. Off topic but...

As a Draper fan also I hope he makes it.

As a Wings fan I hope he also get a few weeks of rest physically and mentally.

ZadorovNJD*

I hope he makes the team. He has tons of experience and is top ten in goals right now. I don't think you leave that package sitting at home, even if he's not as fast as he used to be.

ABwind

Jun 17, 2005
Other than Sakic we have very little experience up front and that is the reason Shanny makes this team. Plus he has been really playing well.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
I love shanahan, and he has been great this year, but I think Shanahan's play in the past Olympics will probably keep him off the team. If they are looking for a player with experience and leadership, I think they will take Kariya to fit in the similar role. The big ice just eats Shanny up

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Nay. Four years ago, he was pretty much useless, I don't think he'll be much better next February. If we add Shanahan, who are we going to bump? We are already having a hard time deciding whether to include our cream of the crop but young talent, adding Shanny will only complicate matters and will be unfair IMO. He went to the Olympics twice, I think it's time to give others the chance.

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
If Shanahan doesn't make the team, then there's something really wrong happening here..

There are many players on Team Canada who have a secured spot but do have not have the stats Brendan Shanahan is posting.

How on earth could you leave a guy like this at home ????

Macman

May 15, 2004
On NHL ice, yes. On big ice, no. He's played poorly in two previous Olympics. He doesn't deserve a third chance.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'm rooting hard for Shanny to make the team but if Canada wants to go with the younger guys, they have plenty of guys to choose from. Why can't Shanny jump sides and play for Team USA...we could use him here.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Vinnie said:
I hope he makes the team. He has tons of experience and is top ten in goals right now. I don't think you leave that package sitting at home, even if he's not as fast as he used to be.

He is in the top 5 in goals.

I think he makes it. And well deserved if he does.

But like someone said before, I wouldnt be all that upset if he gets left off and can use the Olympic break to get some rest. Plus...he may feel slighted if not selected and me might tear it up down the stretch to prove a point. ;)

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
interminded said:
If Shanahan doesn't make the team, then there's something really wrong happening here..

There are many players on Team Canada who have a secured spot but do have not have the stats Brendan Shanahan is posting.

How on earth could you leave a guy like this at home ????
Have you seen Shanahan at the two previous Olympics? He was useless at both occasions and will be the same this time around if he goes to Turin. Shanahan is a very good player on the North American-size rink but he sucks on the big ice surface.

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Canuck21t said:
Have you seen Shanahan at the two previous Olympics? He was useless at both occasions and will be the same this time around if he goes to Turin. Shanahan is a very good player on the North American-size rink but he sucks on the big ice surface.

I agree the big ice is not his forte. But his leadership, experience - not to mention the great season he is having - will likely be enough to get him on this team.

I personally feel Bertuzzi would be more of a liability on this team than Shanahan - I could be wrong, and would like to be proven so by a smart, solid Bertuzzi performance in Turin - but I have my doubts based on his poor decision making this year. Coupled with the fact that I don't think Bert has it all together upstairs anymore - I'd be more worried about his selection to the team than Shanahan's.

SopelFan*

If Staal and Shanahan don't make the team, I will not cheer for Canada.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Vaive-Alive said:
I agree the big ice is not his forte. But his leadership, experience - not to mention the great season he is having - will likely be enough to get him on this team.

I personally feel Bertuzzi would be more of a liability on this team than Shanahan - I could be wrong, and would like to be proven so by a smart, solid Bertuzzi performance in Turin - but I have my doubts based on his poor decision making this year. Coupled with the fact that I don't think Bert has it all together upstairs anymore - I'd be more worried about his selection to the team than Shanahan's.

I'm interested in knowing when you think he had it all together upstairs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As others have stated, Shanahan participated in two Olympics already when he was closer to the prime of his career.

On both occasions, he was one of Canada's worst players. 3 points in 12 games, and struggled greatly on the international ice.

He's having a nice bounce-back year, but doesn't belong at the Olympics this time.

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
nomorekids said:
As much as I hate to admit it,this guy is having a monster season and has to be considered Detroit's MVP thus far with 20 goals already.

How do my Canadian friends feel about Shanny on Team Canada? Yay? Nay? Why?

Right now he is the best Canadian power forward not named Joe Thorton. I would've had him on before Doan or Bertuzzi.

Jim Boeheim

Sep 20, 2005
Rochester
SopelFan said:
And commit suicide.

It was nice knowing you :)

Shanahan should have been slected if for nothing more than the leadership he can bring.
Besides Sakic, the obvious choice for captain, who else is as qualified to lead in the lockerroom than BS?

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
jimmyboehiem said:
It was nice knowing you :)

Shanahan should have been slected if for nothing more than the leadership he can bring.
Besides Sakic, the obvious choice for captain, who else is as qualified to lead in the lockerroom than BS?

While I agree with...let's give some props to Foote and Smyth as leaders.

Shanny should have been an integral part of this team.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
GagsIsDaMan said:
While I agree with...let's give some props to Foote and Smyth as leaders.

Shanny should have been an integral part of this team.

Funny part about this is..

Shanny is getting criticized for not being able to perform on a larger ice surface. He lost a step, yadda yadda......... And they take Adam Foote.

I know its 2 dif positions so one making the team doesnt effect the other..... But come on lol.

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
MS said:
As others have stated, Shanahan participated in two Olympics already when he was closer to the prime of his career.

On both occasions, he was one of Canada's worst players. 3 points in 12 games, and struggled greatly on the international ice.

He's having a nice bounce-back year, but doesn't belong at the Olympics this time.

Bounce back from what exactly?

17 straight 20 goal seasons...thats' pretty damn consistenet...and waht exactly have Doan or Bertuzzi done that require a selection over him?

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
X8oD said:
Funny part about this is..

Shanny is getting criticized for not being able to perform on a larger ice surface. He lost a step, yadda yadda......... And they take Adam Foote.

I know its 2 dif positions so one making the team doesnt effect the other..... But come on lol.

...I think it's just an easy way out for the Managment Staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad