Brendan Shanahan and the secret Olympic letter he wrote to himself

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
These little actions mean a great deal to ones mindset. Just as Jim Carrey, the actor, wrote down that he would cash a $10M one day or something to that effect, you make an obligation to yourself and everybody should be their own worst critic if they have any dignity. Thus, demand achievement of yourself.

Maybe a few Leaf players should mail themselves such a letter this year. "I will win at least two playoff rounds in 2021". Or have even bigger nads, "I will win the Conn Smythe trophy in 2021".

Mental health awareness, suicide prevention program launches across CJHL - Sportsnet.ca
https://www.sportsnet.ca/author/luke-fox
It’s 1998.

Brendan Shanahan is sitting on the bench in Japan listening to Team Canada coach Marc Crawford and his staff call out future Hall of Fame names to take part in a shootout that could get his country past the Czech Republic and into the Olympic gold medal game.

As the names ring out, "Fleury, Bourque, Nieuwendyk, Lindros…" Shanahan says to himself, "Pick me. Pick me. Pick me."

“All I’m thinking is, oh, my God, I hope I get to shoot. I hope I get to score the winner and be the hero,” Shanahan recalled Monday on the SmartLess podcast.

“And the fifth name, they go, ‘Shanahan.’ ”

Robert Reichel beats Canada’s Patrick Roy on the Czechs’ first attempt, then no one else scores. Shanahan, the final shooter, is his country’s last hope to solve Dominik Hasek.

“And I don’t score. I let down the whole country. It was very confusing to me,” said Shanahan, who’d always believed that the great ones are supposed to want the puck on their stick with stakes the highest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad