Brendan Perlini

FinnBear

Feb 21, 2016
Does Brendan Perlini look to be primed for a breakout season next year and hold down a top six spot or will he stay a middle six winger? I know he comes with a pedigree but also had some struggles.

I am mostly a Bruins fan but couldn't help and notice his hustle last time we faced you guys. He is big and he can skate but can he help the Coyotes score? Or will he eventually wander down the depth chart?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Does Brendan Perlini look to be primed for a breakout season next year and hold down a top six spot or will he stay a middle six winger? I know he comes with a pedigree but also had some struggles.

I am mostly a Bruins fan but couldn't help and notice his hustle last time we faced you guys. He is big and he can skate but can he help the Coyotes score? Or will he eventually wander down the depth chart?

Perlini is the best pure goal scoring talent we've had since, well, forever. The question has always been consistency and rounding out his game, but the size, speed, and filthy laser shot are there. We're all hoping he peaks as a top six winger who can pot 30 goals regularly.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
In the next three years, I think he hits 20 goals each season, and possibly 30 once. People don't realize how much speed he has for a taller player until he gets around you.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I'm thinking he'll have a 20/20 season next year. Our C's are trash. So hopefully next season he'll get to play with better players.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I think we have some of the best wing talent in the NHL. However, their production is highly dependent on our centers and currently have one offensive center.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Perlini's game works better off the rush than on the cycle, and we don't really have any centers who can keep up with him, so a lot of his opportunities are coming from stretch passes from the D (which are more frequent when DeAngelo is in the lineup as opposed to Connauton or Michalek's reanimated corpse) or fast breaks with a wing like Rieder or Domi.

I don't really expect that to change next year, as Strome is no faster than any of our current centers and it's doubtful they'll bring in anyone who can match Perlini's speed. I'd expect him to maintain about the same rate of shot production next season with maybe a drop in shooting percentage from his current ~15% rate to about 10-11%. That would put him around 15 goals. He's getting about 15 minutes per game, which I wouldn't expect to increase by much (and because he's a rush scorer, I don't think additional powerplay time would boost his output all that much, either).

Long term, I can see him turning into a consistent 50-60 point guy with a 30-goal season or two, which is much better than I would have projected him to be this time last year.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I like Perlini, but be careful. Domi and Duclair had 38 goals last year and have 12 so far this year with a few games left. Maybe they get to 15 goals. Second year can be tougher.

coyoteshockeyfan

Mar 17, 2004
Coyote Country
Obviously having Domi limits the premium minutes Perlini will recieve. As noted above, his shooting percentage might have inflated his goal total a bit, scoring 20 odd goals over a full season next year would be a good target.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Had a beautiful goal disallowed last night due to an offsides. He's got a such a filthy shot.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Are disallowed goals being tracked anywhere? If not (and I have no knowledge they are), this would be an interesting advanced stat.

No idea, interesting idea though, especially if they tracked goals that were disallowed from offsides. Most Goalie interference disallowed goals likely wouldn't have gone in without the interference, but some of the offsides ones would've gone in regardless, like Perlini's.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
No idea, interesting idea though, especially if they tracked goals that were disallowed from offsides. Most Goalie interference disallowed goals likely wouldn't have gone in without the interference, but some of the offsides ones would've gone in regardless, like Perlini's.

Agreed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad