Player Discussion Brendan Lemieux

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Stylistically I see the Avery comparison, but I do think Sean had a decent bit more skill. Avery could be pretty slick in moving the puck around, and had pretty good vision and feel for the game. Honestly if he didn't try so hard to be the ultimate douchebag he probably could have pushed 50 points.

I don't know if he put any effort into being a douchebag. He had a natural aptitude for it that I've never seen outside of a rodeo.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Suspended by league for that hit late in the Avalanche game. Length to be determined once they figure out what happens with the rest of the season.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The luster is wearing off a bit for me. A lot of games he seems to contribute little when the puck is actually in play. I still think he can be a valuable bottom six guy but I wish he would focus more on his play and less on the extracurricular stuff.

Reactions: leetch99

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
He'll randomly make a really nice pass that looks like he belongs in the top 6. But it's pretty rare, and the rest of his game still leaves a lot to be desired. Sort of like Howden.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
One thing for sure....he is never going to get away with anything as he always has at minimum two eyes watching him and he has been subject to a few questionable calls . I sometimes wonder if he will be much good for us in the long run ?? He might end up costing us at a big moment . I love his style....but I question his thinking process at times . Is that part fixable ?

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
One thing for sure....he is never going to get away with anything as he always has at minimum two eyes watching him and he has been subject to a few questionable calls . I sometimes wonder if he will be much good for us in the long run ?? He might end up costing us at a big moment . I love his style....but I question his thinking process at times . Is that part fixable ?
We'll see how he does in the playoffs. Maybe he gets away with more and takes after his pops in the post season.

Reactions: Fixxer
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think this is an overreaction. We've been looking for a guy like this for years. And he's going to be only 24 tomorrow — meaning he's for from a finished product. He's one of the rare guys who's value doesn't show up on the scoresheet. This team more players like him, not fewer.

Reactions: haveandare

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I do not think there is some newfound disdain for Lemieux. I think most still appreciate what he brings to the table. And we all also understand the issue is with DQ. Its DQ’s mishandling that is the problem.

But with regard to the hit...

1) It looked like he got the head with the hit.

2) And even if he did not, it is not only a blindside hit, it is completely unnecessary.

3) The team was down a goal with less than 3 minutes to go. Its just a flat out selfish dumb play.
1) It did not look like he got him in the head. It sure as hell wasn't the main point of contact as much as the shoulder left was.
2) Donskoi changed his course from glove side hash marks into Lemmy, who was skating straight toward the blocker side hash marks. (Then there's the ol "watch it in real time" and any one feel free to tell me what exactly you expect Lemmy to do last second in that instance. What would YOU do in that split second if someone was skating into you, looking or not? If anything it would be Donskoi turning into Lemmy to hit him blindsided, but since Donskoi was not looking, I conclude that this chalks up to incidental contact.
3) Yeah the timing did suck, but it wasn't a selfish penalty or a premeditated action at all.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Interesting, because I think similar. Seems he gets crushed, tripped, held and surprise!........refs dont see it. Flip end, they see EVERYTHING he does. In this regard, reminds me big-time of Avery amongst the attributes?,......already mentioned.
I am sure we all can name "at least one" player we despise on EVERY team (mostly for good reason) so lets face it.....he probably fits the bill from the other side of town.
We probably should appreciate him more for what he does well, opposed to his "seemingly lack of talent". He can and probably will be better in time........but def someone I want on my team. Someone that doesn't take any crap and will be there for his teammates. I would bet ANYTHING his teammates LOVE him. Cant put a price on that. Or, can you?

Reactions: leetch99

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Lemieux has to play a physical game to be truly effective. He has some skills but to become a productive forward on the scoresheet he's going to have to learn better how to play without the puck. His hand skills with the puck are a little less than average. They're not bad bad but they are not playmaking hand skills. He had grind and cycle the puck and do handoffs, winning pucks off of board battles, setting up and causing havoc around the crease, picking up garbage---those are things he's more than capable of doing.

Avery could be a heavy hitter like Lemieux but he was smaller and not as strong. Avery understood things about the dynamics of bodychecking and getting leverage on an opponent. Avery also had very good hand skills. He was quite capable of making a slick play with the puck.

On Lemieux's hit on Donskoi--I didn't like it and as soon as I saw the replay the thought crossed my mind that that could be reviewed by the league for a suspension and whatever your thoughts on how high or dangerous it was it was still an interference penalty and at a very bad time. It struck me as taken out of frustration and potentially predatory. The kind of game that Brendan plays calls for walking a fine line at times--not crossing it. IMO he kind of crossed it there. We could use another player or two like Lemieux to be honest--sometimes that means living with the consequences of that too though. Lemieux is still developing and learning. He's an identity player on our team IMO but he's also best suited now and I'm pretty sure into the future as a bottom 6 wing. His overall skill package is just not as high as guys we have now or that are coming in the future.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I like Lemieux's game, he just needs to pick his spots better. Like he can't go out every shift trying to start shit because then he's not contributing and he's on his ass half the time. And he obviously has developed a reputation and isn't drawing calls. Avery who was mentioned earlier eventually went through that. He just needs to be smarter with the tough guy stuff and actually play his game the rest of the time. With non-terrible linemates he could definitely be a 15-15 guy. Just needs to maintain his focus.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
1) It did not look like he got him in the head. It sure as hell wasn't the main point of contact as much as the shoulder left was.
2) Donskoi changed his course from glove side hash marks into Lemmy, who was skating straight toward the blocker side hash marks. (Then there's the ol "watch it in real time" and any one feel free to tell me what exactly you expect Lemmy to do last second in that instance. What would YOU do in that split second if someone was skating into you, looking or not? If anything it would be Donskoi turning into Lemmy to hit him blindsided, but since Donskoi was not looking, I conclude that this chalks up to incidental contact.
3) Yeah the timing did suck, but it wasn't a selfish penalty or a premeditated action at all.
What in God’s name were you watching? Hmm...maybe he had hoped not to get the shoulder but it sure looked like he got a piece of the head, a good piece in fact.

You’re whole #2 point should just be flushed down the toilet where it belongs. Regardless of what Donskoi did (which really didnt happen) Lemieux is still in the wrong. It was a terrible decision by Lemieux. Arguing what Donskoi did after he released a shot is laughable. Laughable. The game is so fast paced and you’re here trying to make an argument that Donskoi did all these maneuvers that puts him partially in the wrong here. Its just unreal to even read that. The link is above for everyone. Go watch it a few times. Please. Its as stupid as a hit as you can get and it is widely known the league has been adamant about removing these type of hits.

Lemieux is backchecking here. The play is in FRONT OF HIM. What nonsense are you spewing that Lemmy somehow had no choice but to “collide” with him here in the “split second” that Donskoi was “skating into” Lemmy.

It is 100% a BLINDSIDE HIT. It was calculated. It was wrong.

Calling it incidental contact is ignorant. Timing absolutely DID SUCK. He didnt have to do it. His team was down a goal under 3 minutes to go. That is one of the more selfish penalties taken by any Ranger this season especially given the context of everything, where the season stood...regardless of the impending suspension of the season due to the virus.

I love Lemieux. He has a place on this team. He shouldnt be playing in certain situations DQ continues to pigeonhole him into, but he has a place on this team that fits a role. This was a poor decision by him that if the season does resume could lead to a multiple game suspension when his team needs him.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Yeah … nah. Dirty, blindside hit to the head.

Reactions: RGY

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
It doesn’t look like much, but when you’re coming in on that angle to someone who’s unsuspecting, it’s enough. He just needs to not cross the line. He needs to play a hard nose agitating CLEAN game to be effective for us. Would have loved to have made the playoffs this year to see if he could play that style without taking penalties. That would be key for a decent playoff run.

Reactions: RGY

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think this is an overreaction. We've been looking for a guy like this for years. And he's going to be only 24 tomorrow — meaning he's for from a finished product. He's one of the rare guys who's value doesn't show up on the scoresheet. This team more players like him, not fewer.
For all of the cries of the team needing more sandpaper, now we are worried about Lemieux's playing style?

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't know if people have looked at what we have in Hartford lately. Brendan Lemieux plays and will continue to play because he is easily one of our best 12 forwards. He is also young and still developing and learning and he also brings a physical component to our team that no one else matches. It was a questionable hit the other night and when we get back to playing again he will sit out a suspension of some kind.

As far as goals however many Brendan can score are certainly welcome but it's not the only thing to base merit on and it's not like the Rangers don't have a pretty good offense--so I'm not all that swept away with the argument that he only has 6 goals. He does need to play smarter and he does need to play with more discipline. He is in our lineup--playing mostly on the bottom lines because he's among our best 12 forwards and one of the reasons he's been getting power play time is because Kreider is injured and Brendan can replace some of Kreider's physical presence. It's not hard. If it wasn't him replacing Kreider on the power player who else?--Jesper Fast? Brett Howden? McKegg?

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Not sure who would even be into this sorta thing, but Lemmy (and former team mate Roslovic) are streaming on Twitch. Not my cup of tea, but he is pretty casually talking about Ranger stuff. Kind of interesting if you can stomach watching him play Fortnite with kids... Said he would be happy with 2 Mil next year :laugh:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
New deal is close apparently. Any guess as to term/dollars?

According to whom?

Edit: Sounds like this is coming from his interview on Spittin Chiclets earlier today. Not really indicative that anything is imminent other than he feels like something will get done soon.

Here's the clip:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->