Prospect Info: Brendan Lemieux

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I just think the expectations on our prospects are too high. AHL before NHL is going to be the most likely path for almost all of them.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They are definitely high but we also have roster spots to fill. This organization has shown it is more than willing to give prospects a chance at taking those roster spots (Ehlers, Petan and Copp) the rest is up to them.
I'm not saying Brenden will make the team but he has just as good of a chance as anyone else at one of those bottom 6 spots. Not only that he plays a type of game that Maurice loves and also provides something that we don't currently have. Which is a bottom 6 agitating scorer. He will be given every opportunity to impress.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I don't know depends on what happens with Ladd.
If Ladd is gone that opens up a spot in the top 6, depending on the return in a trade, which will more than likely move Ehlers into the top 6. If Ladd ends up walking and we get nothing then it definitely opens up a spot in the top 6 which will surely be Ehlers especially if he comes into camp more developed than this year.
That leaves Lowry, Burmi, Thorburn, Copp, Peluso in the bottom 6. With Armia, Petan, Lipon, De Leo, Harkins, Spacek, Blomqvist, Kosmachuk and Lemieux competing for the final 2 or 3 spots depending on who they want to carry. Next years training camp is going to be really fun. Especially if some of the NCAA guys sign.

Petan, DeLeo, Harkins and Spacek will all need another year to develop. Blomqvist and Kosmachuk looking like they may not get a sniff for quite a while, if ever. So that leaves Lowy, Burmi, Copp, Peluso, Armia, Thorburn, Lipon and Lemieux. 8 players fighting for 6 spots. Lemieux might have a shot.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That's pretty smart, he seems to know that even though he's a 'goal-scorer' now, his NHL ceiling is likely 3rd or 4th line where he won't be expected to produce as much.

This kid is pretty switched on and you got to love that if you are in the Jets management. This is the opposite of someone who is rumoured to have an attitude problem, as some Buffalo fans though. This is a person who is willing to mold his game for the greater good.

Smart players don't get suspended constantly.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I don't think anyone can claim that Claude Lemieux was a smart hockey player, but he was very effective.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This trade is a strange one, particularly with the way Lemieux has been playing since coming back from his suspension. Has the tinfoil antennae tingling. The reality is probably that Barrie does not think they have quite enough to make a deep PO run this year so they traded him to boost next year's team. Stefano will give them that overage year and probably be very good.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
This trade is a strange one, particularly with the way Lemieux has been playing since coming back from his suspension. Has the tinfoil antennae tingling. The reality is probably that Barrie does not think they have quite enough to make a deep PO run this year so they traded him to boost next year's team. Stefano will give them that overage year and probably be very good.

Not too sure about that. They are 2 points out of first with 4 games in hand.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not too sure about that. They are 2 points out of first with 4 games in hand.

In their division, yes. But they are a long way behind the best teams In the league. A ticket to the memorial cup doesn't look too likely.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Someone (a guy who has a lot of legit OHL friends) tweeted out that they heard from friends that Hawerchuk didn't like Lemieux cherry picking often.

Now, that doesn't mean it's right or not, but would make more sense than Barrie retooling since apparently Lemieux has been shopped since this summer.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Someone (a guy who has a lot of legit OHL friends) tweeted out that they heard from friends that Hawerchuk didn't like Lemieux cherry picking often.

Now, that doesn't mean it's right or not, but would make more sense than Barrie retooling since apparently Lemieux has been shopped since this summer.

Perfect

Ahhh but that is probably Junior Brendan that doesn't listen to Ducky, plays without disipline and gets suspended repeatedly, gets shopped and traded from a winning team, and now we can possibly add cherry picker to the growing list :laugh:...BUT.....its not NHL Brendan who will simply flick the magic switch to adapt his game to be more pro friendly. It's not just talk seriously, you gots to believe Cuz wing nutz have that kind of self control they just save it all up for the right time and flick the switch.

Do I need this :sarcasm:

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
that directly contradicts to what chevy's info was. hawerchuk told him about schief, and he told him about lemieux, but somehow forgot the "he's actually the worst" narrative

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Seems to me Lemieux is a lock for the Jets within a year or 2. There already seems to be some genuine dislike for him around here, and we aren't going to have Thorburn and Peluso around forever for a place to funnel that. Eventually we will need a replacement at the bottom of the roster to focus our displeasure on. With any luck Maurice will move him into the middle 6 occasionally to really fire that up. Now if we could only get a good dislike going for a LHD prospect we could look at moving Stuart out :sarcasm:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seems to me Lemieux is a lock for the Jets within a year or 2. There already seems to be some genuine dislike for him around here, and we aren't going to have Thorburn and Peluso around forever for a place to funnel that. Eventually we will need a replacement at the bottom of the roster to focus our displeasure on. With any luck Maurice will move him into the middle 6 occasionally to really fire that up. Now if we could only get a good dislike going for a LHD prospect we could look at moving Stuart out :sarcasm:

Bingo Bogo (that has a ring to it)

Seems like Brendan may fall in one of the key blind spots for TNSE as well. Players that take stupid penalties seem high on the priority list but I am sensing a lack of locker room gluiness and that could hold Brendan back if he isn't careful.

The only flaw to the master plan of D&D of whipping boys is your assumption Thor, Peluso, and Stu won't be around forever? I guess we could always make room for one more?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Bingo Bogo (that has a ring to it)

Seems like Brendan may fall in one of the key blind spots for TNSE as well. Players that take stupid penalties seem high on the priority list but I am sensing a lack of locker room gluiness and that could hold Brendan back if he isn't careful.

The only flaw to the master plan of D&D of whipping boys is your assumption Thor, Peluso, and Stu won't be around forever? I guess we could always make room for one more?
The biggest factor in gluiness is accountability.

Accountability is measured by how available you are the the media when they need nothing quotes.

We can't be sure how Lemieux will handle this until it happens.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Lemieux with 19 SOG in the 3 games with Windsor. You have to be a really lucky cherry picker to get that many shots.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The biggest factor in gluiness is accountability.

Accountability is measured by how available you are the the media when they need nothing quotes.

We can't be sure how Lemieux will handle this until it happens.

One would hope the Jets scouts would have a book on this from his junior days. :naughty:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do you?

I'm not saying he is. I actually haven't ever noticed it.

It was something a former NHLer who has a lot of OHL friends said though.

I guess it depends on how you define "cherry picker". If that means cheating on assignments, then maybe it's a problem.

But I'm basing my assessment of Lemieux mostly based on how he played at the NHL level. He didn't cheat on any assignment. Maurice doesn't tolerate guys who cheat on assignments in games or practice, and he was as effusive in his praise of Lemieux as he's ever been for a prospect.

Do you have an advanced stat for "cherry picking", or is it usually based on an "eye test"? :sarcasm:

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I saw the tweet about cherry picking.. Doesn't really jive with my own viewings but you only see so much on video.

Either way I'm much higher on Lemieux now after watching his play in junior since the suspension than I was after the Jets training camp.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I saw the tweet about cherry picking.. Doesn't really jive with my own viewings but you only see so much on video.

Either way I'm much higher on Lemieux now after watching his play in junior since the suspension than I was after the Jets training camp.

I liked his training camp and pre-season with the Jets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad