Confirmed with Link: Brendan Lemieux from NYR to LA for a 4th

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Man. We had a lot of big guys in the Cup runs. The other team had there choice of taking shots at Greene, Regehr, King, Nolan, Clifford or fiesty guys like Richards, Fraser, Richardson and Brown plus big bodied Kopitar and Penner.

we definitely do not have that identity anymore.

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014
Man. We had a lot of big guys in the Cup runs. The other team had there choice of taking shots at Greene, Regehr, King, Nolan, Clifford or fiesty guys like Richards, Fraser, Richardson and Brown plus big bodied Kopitar and Penner.

Hence why it's so much harder to watch when they're not doing something on the scoreboard.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Penner was also a big body too. Sometimes too big.

Reactions: funky

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Think we are getting a little revisionist history in here. Reality is only Clifford would regularly “fight”, even then mostly staged fights. Greene/Fraser generally just got their faces nice and bruised. King/RR/Richards mighta had a token fight ppl can point to but nothing real. Richardson! Is about as feisty as AA...

Nolan basically stopped fighting/hitting after the first cup run.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Think we are getting a little revisionist history in here. Reality is only Clifford would regularly “fight”, even then mostly staged fights. Greene/Fraser generally just got their faces nice and bruised. King/RR/Richards mighta had a token fight ppl can point to but nothing real. Richardson! Is about as feisty as AA...

Nolan basically stopped fighting/hitting after the first cup run.

I think it is fact the kings were the biggest team in the league during the 2012 cup run. You can play big and physical without fighting.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I think it is fact the kings were the biggest team in the league during the 2012 cup run. You can play big and physical without fighting.

Yeah... agree.
Last time i checked, the point of the game is to get the puck into a goal.
I am more concerned that we don't have any idea or creativity to get opponent players out of position,
to open up scoring chances.
The only one sticking out is Villardi but the team is so dumbed down, that nobody is thinking with him.
Everyone is used to the mind numbing corner dump and pass back to the defender.

As long as we don't use creativity and speed, it doesn't matter who is on the team or not.
Fighting is the last of my concerns

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Which is why Couture broke his hand on Richards' helmet :laugh:

Most random fight of all time, Richards/Scott Gomez.

Loved that Langenbrunner one, miss this dude. This is a guy who is just sick of your shit and going to take care of it himself. We need this.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Are y'all really trying to tell me that the Kings' defense-first, big-body possession style was fun to watch? It won a lot of games, but it was not very fun to watch. It was slow and boring.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Are y'all really trying to tell me that the Kings' defense-first, big-body possession style was fun to watch? It won a lot of games, but it was not very fun to watch. It was slow and boring.

It was exciting when we witnessed some intense playoff battles, but the Kings turned up their offense then. After 2014, they weren't even all that physical of a team, plus opponents figured them out.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

yes those playoff games were definitely worth the 1-0 Wild games.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It was exciting when we witnessed some intense playoff battles, but the Kings turned up their offense then. After 2014, they weren't even all that physical of a team, plus opponents figured them out.

They were built for the playoffs, and those playoffs between 2012 and 2014 were ultra exciting, but regular season Kings games were slow, lumbering, methodical affairs. Wear down the opposing team with a heavy forecheck, clog the neutral zone, and above all else, stick to the system. No individual creativity allowed. It's no mystery that after Lombardi and Sutter left, guys were saying they enjoyed playing hockey again! It's just funny to see talk about those teams as if they were fun to watch, especially during an 82-game slog :laugh: I'm only bringing this up because we were the ones dying for more creative, exciting hockey!

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

That buzzsaw forecheck was extremely fun to watch. The way the 2012 Kings just demoralized their opponents in the playoffs was some of the best hockey I have ever watched.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Regualr season was boring maybe but those teams were something else in the playoffs. I don't think I've ever seen a better 200 foot goal involving the whole team than this one:

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015

After 2012, teams realized it was an arms race as far as big bodies were concern. All of the Kings Hawks series from 2012-2014 were good, but damn I still contend that Blues series in 2013 was one for the ages, bodies flying all over, grinding tough hockey. I think it really beat up a lot of the players and that's what kept us from getting to the finals that year. Just not enough in the tank against the Hawks.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

TwzKing

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2004

It was. This lack of possession, lack of control, no defense style is painful to watch. I don't wanna see high giveaways. It drives me crazy when they are in the neutral zone and possession changes hands 3 times before any team enters the zone. Its awful hockey. Much rather have a 2-1 hockey game then pond hockey.

Reactions: dick341 and bland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad